Journal 3L Year

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BaiAilian2013

Journal 3L Year

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 am

I'm a 2L on a secondary journal with a one-year commitment. Is there any point in being a 3L editor if I feel like the time and academic credit could be more profitably devoted to cramming actual knowledge into my brain? What I guess I'm asking is, is 3L journal work, assuming it's not a fancy position, looked upon favorably in the future... like, ever?

ryegye87

Re: Journal 3L Year

Postby ryegye87 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 am

I haven't written on a journal, so take this advice with that caveat, but in order to give you at least one response--the answer to your question is "no". I've spoken with many hiring partners and attorneys who I've worked with about this very question, and I think the thing to realize is that ITE, many people who are on law review, much less secondary journals, aren't getting a bump from it. I would have to imagine that you've pretty much derived any benefit you are going to from participating at this point. GPA is always the first and most important factor employers look at. Everything else is just an interview talking point.

HTH

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 am

Agreed, doesnt seem to be much of a boost from talking with my friends who are graduating with those positions on their record (Im a fellow 2L).

The massive time commitment (at least at our journal) seems like it would be better used for something else (maybe focusing on improving GPA --- or just enjoying your last year).

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:44 am

It isn't a boost, but does it hurt you if you don't do it? (kind of like extra curriculars where everyone assumes you should have them?)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:57 am

If it's only a 1-year commitment, then not doing it 3L year doesn't mean it can't still be on your resume. So you can leave it on, get whatever marginal bump there is for journal participation, but not have to deal with the pain in the ass of journal work.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:15 am

kalvano wrote:If it's only a 1-year commitment, then not doing it 3L year doesn't mean it can't still be on your resume. So you can leave it on, get whatever marginal bump there is for journal participation, but not have to deal with the pain in the ass of journal work.

+1

My school locks us into the two year commitment. I would have dropped it for my 3L year otherwise. Drop that journal. Drop it like it's hot.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am

No, if you are allowed to, drop that shit ASAP.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:22 pm

monkey85 wrote:
kalvano wrote:If it's only a 1-year commitment, then not doing it 3L year doesn't mean it can't still be on your resume. So you can leave it on, get whatever marginal bump there is for journal participation, but not have to deal with the pain in the ass of journal work.

+1

My school locks us into the two year commitment. I would have dropped it for my 3L year otherwise. Drop that journal. Drop it like it's hot.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 am

I just realized OP is at NYU. Be careful; I am unaware of any journals that don't consider it a 2 year commitment, and they will remove it from your transcript if you quit.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:06 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I'm a 2L on a secondary journal with a one-year commitment. Is there any point in being a 3L editor if I feel like the time and academic credit could be more profitably devoted to cramming actual knowledge into my brain? What I guess I'm asking is, is 3L journal work, assuming it's not a fancy position, looked upon favorably in the future... like, ever?

Likely no benefit.

ryegye87 wrote:I haven't written on a journal, so take this advice with that caveat, but in order to give you at least one response--the answer to your question is "no". I've spoken with many hiring partners and attorneys who I've worked with about this very question, and I think the thing to realize is that ITE, many people who are on law review, much less secondary journals, aren't getting a bump from it. I would have to imagine that you've pretty much derived any benefit you are going to from participating at this point. GPA is always the first and most important factor employers look at. Everything else is just an interview talking point.

HTH

QF complete bullshit.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:33 am

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for the advice, all! A second person ended up contacting me and offering me a painless, semi-fun position different from the one I was originally offered, so I decided to do that. I had to admit there is lure to an academic credit that comes with no exam attached. I do think I would have turned down the original, bluebook-ier position on this advice though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”