Passed in my memo late

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
waxecstatic

Passed in my memo late

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:32 pm

My memo was due today at 6 PM on campus cruiser. I worked my tail off to get it to the right page limit, since I was over, and after all the citations, proofreading, and even formatting to try and make things even, which was a pain in itself, I missed the deadline. Since at 6 PM, there was no way to submit it through campus cruiser, I simply e-mailed it to the professor. I wrote a couple sentences since it felt awkward not to, and I sent it off. The e-mail was sent at 6:05.

In all seriousness, how do you think this will affect my grade?

truevines

Re: Passed in my memo late

Postby truevines » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

waxecstatic wrote:My memo was due today at 6 PM on campus cruiser. I worked my tail off to get it to the right page limit, since I was over, and after all the citations, proofreading, and even formatting to try and make things even, which was a pain in itself, I missed the deadline. Since at 6 PM, there was no way to submit it through campus cruiser, I simply e-mailed it to the professor. I wrote a couple sentences since it felt awkward not to, and I sent it off. The e-mail was sent at 6:05.

Sorry, 1 second late is late. Your memo will be rejected.

Seriously, how would we know whether you professor would every accept your memo?

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Idk man seems like a discretionary thing. Some professors are real hard ons, I can see some professors letting this slide. People who aren't in your legal writing class (and thus don't know your professor) aren't going to provide much insight.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Every legal writing prof at my school has a 1 second late = 1 day late rule, and takes off 10% per day of your final score. And more than a week late = 0 points.

Sorry.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Take the 10% cut and crush your exams. Good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Might not matter. Who knows? Your LRM grade is small compared to your finals though so switch gears and focus on those.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 am

waxecstatic wrote:My memo was due today at 6 PM on campus cruiser. I worked my tail off to get it to the right page limit, since I was over, and after all the citations, proofreading, and even formatting to try and make things even, which was a pain in itself, I missed the deadline. Since at 6 PM, there was no way to submit it through campus cruiser, I simply e-mailed it to the professor. I wrote a couple sentences since it felt awkward not to, and I sent it off. The e-mail was sent at 6:05.

Wait...you e-mailed it straight to your professor? Does your school not have anonymous grading?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:02 am

I love having pass-fail-honors legal writing. But yeah, you probably lost at least 10%. Sucks.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 am

SilverE2 wrote:

Wait...you e-mailed it straight to your professor? Does your school not have anonymous grading?

At my school LRW is the only non-anonymous graded 1L course. In 2L or 3L the profs frequently assign papers which are not blind either, though any tests are, of course, blinded.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 am

spleenworship wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

At my school LRW is the only non-anonymous graded 1L course. In 2L or 3L the profs frequently assign papers which are not blind either, though any tests are, of course, blinded.

Interesting. My school is super strict about the anonymous aspect of legal writing.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:34 am

SilverE2 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

Interesting. My school is super strict about the anonymous aspect of legal writing.

It seems to me that anyone who goes to their office hours and asks for advice is going to end up being outed anyway. Writing styles are pretty unique when you have time to craft them. A prof reading a hurried 4 hour final when they haven't read anything of yours all semester isn't going to know who you are... but someone who has helped you refine your arguments and writing style in office hours every few weeks is going to be almost certain of at least several of the most distinctive writers, I would bet.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 am

So srs question: How do you get feedback on your memo and improve it for the final draft if you have blind grading?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 am

geoduck wrote:So srs question: How do you get feedback on your memo and improve it for the final draft if you have blind grading?

At my school, we are given numbers and we put them on our paper. We turn our papers in to a box (or maybe it was the professor's assistant) and then the assistant gives us our stuff back after it is graded. The professor doesn't know the paper they are grading, and when you go in to talk to them you are supposed to remove the number so they can't figure it out.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 am

It is an automatic 25% off your grade for late memos at my school (even one second late).

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
geoduck wrote:So srs question: How do you get feedback on your memo and improve it for the final draft if you have blind grading?

At my school, we are given numbers and we put them on our paper. We turn our papers in to a box (or maybe it was the professor's assistant) and then the assistant gives us our stuff back after it is graded. The professor doesn't know the paper they are grading, and when you go in to talk to them you are supposed to remove the number so they can't figure it out.

Yep. Same here.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yep. Same here.

Wild. Here we just do LW as pass-fail-honors, so having the teacher know you and your work isn't really an issue. It seems to help because they get to know your style over the year and know where you need work.

The honors are graded on a multiple tier system: 2 people in each ~9 person section are awarded honors by the section instructor. Then the briefs all go into an anonymous grading system where others read all the papers and choose the best briefs for each 50 person class section. We also have awards for best oral argument which works... somehow.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Fortunately, my professor said it was fine. I sent the email at 6:05 so she probably figured I was done at 6 but I'm very fortunate. She definitely coulda been like "it's late, it's late."

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:54 pm

waxecstatic wrote:Fortunately, my professor said it was fine. I sent the email at 6:05 so she probably figured I was done at 6 but I'm very fortunate. She definitely coulda been like "it's late, it's late."

Lucky, Lucky

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Is this a graded or pass/fail LRW? Ours was definitely not anonymous and I feel like the opportunity for feedback would have been way less if it had been.

Also OP, bad form. Courts regularly reject stuff submitted a minute late. I doubt they go easy on you.

Edit: Didn't read the conclusion...you're damn lucky.
Last edited by The Duck on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Fortunately, my professor said it was fine. I sent the email at 6:05 so she probably figured I was done at 6 but I'm very fortunate. She definitely coulda been like "it's late, it's late."

Lucky, Lucky

This.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:01 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:Idk man seems like a discretionary thing. Some professors are real hard ons, I can see some professors letting this slide. People who aren't in your legal writing class (and thus don't know your professor) aren't going to provide much insight.

:lol:

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:

Lucky, Lucky

This.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:

Lucky, Lucky
It is better to be lucky than it is to be good.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm

The Duck wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Is this a graded or pass/fail LRW? Ours was definitely not anonymous and I feel like the opportunity for feedback would have been way less if it had been.

Graded. There may have been some additional feedback that I could have gotten if it were non-anon, but my professor provided LOADS of written feedback on every paper we did. Overall I think it was a solid class and I did actually learn some useful stuff from it. Which is more than I can say about most classes.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”