When to take Professional Responsibility?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
target

When to take Professional Responsibility?

Postby target » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:36 pm

I did a search on PR, but could only find threads on what supplement to use or when to take the MPRE. So, my question is when should I take Professional Responsibility? I am planning my classes next fall and, probably, next spring. Hope to hear some suggestions from folks.

LjakW

Re: When to take Professional Responsibility?

Postby LjakW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:29 am

Two things I think are relevant:
Check if the state(s) you are taking the bar in accepts a PR course in lieu of the MPRE. If so, then be sure to finish your PR course before you register for the bar i.e., not in spring of 3L.
I personally found that studying for and taking the MPRE helped me in my PR course. So if you know when you are taking the MPRE, I'd take PR in that semester (or vice versa).

truevines

Postby truevines » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:51 am

target wrote:I did a search on PR, but could only find threads on what supplement to use or when to take the MPRE. So, my question is when should I take Professional Responsibility? I am planning my classes next fall and, probably, next spring. Hope to hear some suggestions from folks.

1. You don't need any PR class to sit for the MPRE. So,when you should take the PR class depends on your preference and your school's policy (some require student take PR by the end of the 5th semester).

2. When you should take the MPRE depends on the state bar you want to be admitted to. For some, the MPRE score expires in a few years; for others (e.g., Cali), it is always valid. But it's good to take the MPRE as soon as possible.

target

Postby target » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I plan to take the MPRE in the August between my second and third year. I have not decided on where I want to take bar exams yet though.

Another question: if I plan to take PR in spring of 2013, should I even consider taking the MPRE that March of 2013? I heard advice similar to those in this thread that studying for the MPRE helps them do better in PR class. But have anyone heard otherwise?

TY

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 pm

There are plenty of courses that satisfy the PR requirement at most schools, clinics, some trial advocacy or deposition courses, and at our school, even one of the sections of Family Law.

If you want to take it in order to pass the test, I would suggest waiting until 3L so that its freshest. If you just want to take it because you have to in order to graduate, I'd still say wait until 3L, because you might be able to avoid a boring class.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I think it depends on how your school structures the course. My PR class really did not prepare me for the MPRE, and studying for the MPRE did not really help me on the PR exam. My class focused on the gray areas where the best answer to an exam question is "it depends," and argue both sides. On the MPRE, there is a "right answer" based on the model rules. (My PR class will be helpful if there is a PR essay question on the bar exam.)

Also note, the August MPRE is held on a Friday. A bunch of my friends assumed it was on Saturday (like the October and March MPREs). They did not carefully read the exam ticket, and they missed the exam.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Take it whenever it works best with your schedule according to what classes you want to take. So, if you if you know you want to take x, y, and z next semester but need/want three more credits, just make PR those three credits. You never know when in future semesters the school is going to have certain classes conflict. You wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where during 3L you want to take, for example federal courts, but it happens to be offered at the same time as PR, which you are required to take and haven't yet. Take required courses as soon as they pop up in unconflicted time spots to avoid those dillemas. Also ask around to see if there are any entertaining PR professors. I suggest taking it in the fall of 2L, but my only basis for that is the very high grade I earned.

target

Postby target » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 am

Geist13 wrote: I suggest taking it in the fall of 2L, but my only basis for that is the very high grade I earned.

Is it because it is easier? Or because a majority of the class will be 3Ls and they don't give a damn?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 am

target wrote:
Geist13 wrote: I suggest taking it in the fall of 2L, but my only basis for that is the very high grade I earned.

Is it because it is easier? Or because a majority of the class will be 3Ls and they don't give a damn?

It was a joke. The rest of the post was serious though. Its possible that PR is one of those classes that is easier to get a really high grade because everyone thinks its really boring and doesn't put in as much effort. I'm one of the weirdos who thought the class was kind of interesting which may explain why I did well.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Easy Answer - Before the MPRE. The semester before preferably so it is fresh.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 pm

My advice is to 2L spring, and here's why:

1) better to get the MPRE out of the way early because then:
1a) you have plenty of opportunities to retake before the bar if you fail; and,
1b) because you will have plenty of retake opportunities, and it's cheap and easy to register, you won't feel the need to kill yourself studying

2) Since, according to rule 1 you will be taking the MPRE in spring 2L, you should take PR at the same time, because studying for the MPRE is helpful in the class

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Renzo wrote:My advice is to 2L spring, and here's why:

1b) because you will have plenty of retake opportunities, and it's cheap and easy to register, you won't feel the need to kill yourself studying

2) Since, according to rule 1 you will be taking the MPRE in spring 2L, you should take PR at the same time, because studying for the MPRE is helpful in the class

I find it unlikely you resemble your avatar

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:05 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Renzo wrote:My advice is to 2L spring, and here's why:

I find it unlikely you resemble your avatar

How likely do you find it that I changed it once for a gag, and have been too lazy to change it again?

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Why is this class necessary/what do you learn? Don't embezzle money, attorney/client privilege, conflicts of interest are bad, what do you spend an entire semester on?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:Why is this class necessary/what do you learn? Don't embezzle money, attorney/client privilege, conflicts of interest are bad, what do you spend an entire semester on?

Nailed it. The rest is boring repetitive anecdotes, at least in my experience.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 am

In some states you must have your MPRE results in long before they will let you sit for the bar. Check timing requirements. In Iowa it is recommended to have the results in at minimum 4-6 months before you are taking the bar. If you send in your bar app without having MPRE scores it is no good.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm

My school offers it during the summer between 1L and 2L, not recommended?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”