1L's Struggling With Legal Writing: Meet Your New Hero

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

1L's Struggling With Legal Writing: Meet Your New Hero

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Judge Posner has condensed the Godforsaken Bluebook into 2 pages. Two. Dos. 1+1. And it's vastly superior.

Judge Badass Posner wrote:Nowadays the word “hypertrophy” is used mainly to denote a class of diseases in which an organ grows to an abnormal size because of the uncontrolled growth of the cells that constitute it. But the word is still used occasionally to denote a structure or activity that has grown far beyond any apparent functional need. An example is the Egyptian pyramids. The pharaohs needed a secure burial place because they were buried with valuable possessions that they believed they would need in the afterlife. But security didn’t require an immense pyramid of stones above the burial place….

The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation exemplifies hypertrophy in the anthropological sense. It is a monstrous growth, remote from the functional need for legal citation forms, that serves obscure needs of the legal culture and its student subculture.

Judge Awesometown Posner wrote:Needless to say, I have not read the nineteenth edition. I have dipped into it, much as one might dip one’s toes in a pail of freezing water. I am put in mind of Mr. Kurtz’s dying words in Heart of Darkness — ‘The horror! The horror!’ — and am tempted to end there.

Mce252

Re: 1L's Struggling With Legal Writing: Meet Your New Hero

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Incredible. We were just talking in class about the irony of the uniform system which has 19 editions.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Good to know, in case I go to lawl school.

Villanova3

Postby Villanova3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I just handed in my brief and will never take legal writing again. Gah.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Villanova3 wrote:I just handed in my brief and will never take legal writing again. Gah.

Well, I'm guessing you might use the Bluebook a few times in the future anyway.

Villanova3

Postby Villanova3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:I just handed in my brief and will never take legal writing again. Gah.

Well, I'm guessing you might use the Bluebook a few times in the future anyway.

youre probably right

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 am

I wonder if by "student subculture" he is referring to the slave laborers on various law reviews that have made his career possible.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
Judge Awesometown Posner wrote:Needless to say, I have not read the nineteenth edition. I have dipped into it, much as one might dip one’s toes in a pail of freezing water. I am put in mind of Mr. Kurtz’s dying words in Heart of Darkness — ‘The horror! The horror!’ — and am tempted to end there.

I love this.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”