Way to turn off automatic timing out in Westlaw Next? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Way to turn off automatic timing out in Westlaw Next?

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Self-explanatory. That feature is annoying.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Way to turn off automatic timing out in Westlaw Next?

Post by cinephile » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:30 pm

This is why I prefer Lexis. And no, I never figured it out, but I'm not exactly computer savvy.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:52 pm

cinephile wrote:This is why I prefer Lexis. And no, I never figured it out, but I'm not exactly computer savvy.
Can't figure it out either... :/ I think I remember my research professor saying that we can't turn off that feature, but I still feel like there's got to be a way...

Do you use Advance? I've only logged into my account once (to set it up), so I don't know how it compares to WLNext. Even though I prefer the WL UI over Lexis, I'd be willing to try Advance if it really is good.

law777

New

Post by law777 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Call them - they are available 24/7, i believe

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
cinephile wrote:This is why I prefer Lexis. And no, I never figured it out, but I'm not exactly computer savvy.
Can't figure it out either... :/ I think I remember my research professor saying that we can't turn off that feature, but I still feel like there's got to be a way...

Do you use Advance? I've only logged into my account once (to set it up), so I don't know how it compares to WLNext. Even though I prefer the WL UI over Lexis, I'd be willing to try Advance if it really is good.
Lexis Advance is pretty similar to Westlaw Next. Mostly I just save everything to pdf as soon as I open it, then I don't have to worry about the logout.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 pm

I just got off the phone with the reference attorneys and technical support. The reference attorney said that there should be a way to extend the period of time before WLNext will time out, but he transferred me to tech support to figure this out. Tech support then said that all schools' contracts require that students' accounts time out after a certain period of time (the time period is uniform across all schools), and that it cannot be extended. So that's that...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:I just got off the phone with the reference attorneys and technical support. The reference attorney said that there should be a way to extend the period of time before WLNext will time out, but he transferred me to tech support to figure this out. Tech support then said that all schools' contracts require that students' accounts time out after a certain period of time (the time period is uniform across all schools), and that it cannot be extended. So that's that...
Damn... I frequently end up saving cases I dont end up needing because I don't want to go through the hassle of going back to them.... And then I'm like "why the heck did I save this?" and waste 2 minutes figuring it out.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:I just got off the phone with the reference attorneys and technical support. The reference attorney said that there should be a way to extend the period of time before WLNext will time out, but he transferred me to tech support to figure this out. Tech support then said that all schools' contracts require that students' accounts time out after a certain period of time (the time period is uniform across all schools), and that it cannot be extended. So that's that...
Damn... I frequently end up saving cases I dont end up needing because I don't want to go through the hassle of going back to them.... And then I'm like "why the heck did I save this?" and waste 2 minutes figuring it out.
Couldn't you just check your history?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:

U would think so. But I tend to open ten or twenty cases at a time and go through them one at a time.

In all likelihood searching history would be more efficient, but I tend to get stuck doing things one way and find it hard to change. Stupid OCD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Well, at least if you save cases to a folder, you can create a little note under the case name and citation to remind yourself why you saved the case in the first place. That might be especially useful if you are saving in bulk and not looking at some cases until later.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 am

spleenworship wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

U would think so. But I tend to open ten or twenty cases at a time and go through them one at a time.

In all likelihood searching history would be more efficient, but I tend to get stuck doing things one way and find it hard to change. Stupid OCD.
Why not drop a note at the top of the case when you save noting why you saved it? I even highlight the applicable paragraph I'm interested in.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Well, at least if you save cases to a folder, you can create a little note under the case name and citation to remind yourself why you saved the case in the first place. That might be especially useful if you are saving in bulk and not looking at some cases until later.

I can add a note?

Damn, I really should've gone to some of those trainings they offered longer than the 5 minutes it took to scam the pizza and head back out.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

WestLaw time out drives me up the wall.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

For WestLawNext... I usually open each case in a different tab and then they all timeout. Once that happens, I go back to my search page, and login. It usually takes me to my search results page. After that, I refresh each tab and it takes me back to each case I had open. Maybe that helps some of you?

ETA: Refresh or press the back button. If the Back button isn't greyed out, you can usually press that one you login to go back to the previous page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”