iPad and Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
calawhb326
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 pm

iPad and Law School

Postby calawhb326 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:50 am

I'm starting my first year of law school this upcoming fall and was wondering if there would be any advantage or possibly disadvantages to using an ipad. First off, are law school text books available on iPads as e-books? If so that would definitely be much better than lugging around 30 pounds of books. I could also see how it may be a little more difficult to navigate through though. Are there any other advantages to having one for law school? Any idea, comments, or info on the subject? Thanks.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 am

Hi there. You seem new here. Use the search function: this has been posted about many, many times. In fact, always search before posting a new topic.

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby theantiscalia » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 am

There have been a few articles about this on TLS, but there is quite a bit of new information in the last year.

I'm a 2L at Notre Dame, and I have an iPad. I love it, and I use it all the time for law school-related purposes.

The Westlaw Next App is kick ass, and I tend to display cases on my iPad when I type out notes. There is also a HeinOnline App that is pretty cool, although I rarely use that.

If you download the Amazon Kindle App, you can get a lot of books (especially supplements in the E&E series). Of course you could also use these on a Kindle or a Kindle Fire.

In less admirable purposes, if a professor bans laptops (and a few inevitably do), you can have it sitting on your desk in a portfolio and the prof will never know...

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby TTTLS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:00 pm

iPads give you one advantage in law school. You can extend your monitor like a BOSS. Now you're the envy of gunners everywhere as you copy and paste from scanned versions of your text book, take notes and outline, and go over an outline you got from a 2L all at the same time.

Example:

Image

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Rofl. Appreciated the gunner tidbit.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't know of anyone that uses one in class. I use mine for occasional research and annotating PDFs and it works great.

User avatar
LazinessPerSe
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm

We have people using iPads. It's a larger version of an iPhone that you inevitably will play Angry Birds on in class.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:We have people using iPads. It's a larger version of an iPhone that you inevitably will play Angry Birds on in class.

great username + post combo.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby TTTLS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Awyeah! Now doable on the Samsung Galaxy Tablet!!!

Image

Set this up in class and be the envy of your peers!

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm

TTTLS wrote:Awyeah! Now doable on the Samsung Galaxy Tablet!!!

Image

Set this up in class and be the envy of your peers!

Yea I was thinking about bringing a 27" iMac and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet to class next year. I was worried that it might be obnoxious but I'm glad to see you already do it. I'm not worried about lugging it around since I heard you can get a guy to take care of this for about 2000 pesos a week.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby TTTLS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Yea I was thinking about bringing a 27" iMac and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet to class next year. I was worried that it might be obnoxious but I'm glad to see you already do it. I'm not worried about lugging it around since I heard you can get a guy to take care of this for about 2000 pesos a week.

It's really the only way to go. You gotta be crazy not to spend thousands of dollars on a machine you'll be using for mostly Microsoft Word and Lexis.

Also, it's a great way to kill the confidence of your prole peers.

Image

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby 20160810 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 am

I have an iPad and it's cool but school-wise it's as useless as tits on a bull. Buy one if you want one, but don't cook up some phony law school justification for a purely luxury purchase.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby Vronsky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:15 am

haha i'll never forget this burger who pulled two hilarious gaffs with the iPad/iPhone during 1L.

One teacher announced on the first day of class that no computers were allowed in her lectures. This kid raises his hand and asks if he can use a bluetooth keyboard to type notes to a iphone that he can keep in his pocket.

SAME KID a few weeks later at the meeting to install exam software raises his hand after 10-15 minutes for help. The IT geeks come over and would you believe that examsoft for macs doesn't run on iOS?? He was pecking away with two fingers trying to install the software onto the pad and planning to take his exams on it. this time not using his handy bluetooth keyboard.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby TTTLS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 am

Vronsky wrote:haha i'll never forget this burger who pulled two hilarious gaffs with the iPad/iPhone during 1L.

One teacher announced on the first day of class that no computers were allowed in her lectures. This kid raises his hand and asks if he can use a bluetooth keyboard to type notes to a iphone that he can keep in his pocket.

SAME KID a few weeks later at the meeting to install exam software raises his hand after 10-15 minutes for help. The IT geeks come over and would you believe that examsoft for macs doesn't run on iOS?? He was pecking away with two fingers trying to install the software onto the pad and planning to take his exams on it. this time not using his handy bluetooth keyboard.

When Law School Gunning Goes Bad.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: iPad and Law School

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 am

SBL wrote:I have an iPad and it's cool but school-wise it's as useless as tits on a bull. Buy one if you want one, but don't cook up some phony law school justification for a purely luxury purchase.

brah im not in law school but i read a lot of pdfs for work and shit. taking notes on pdfs on Notability w/ a stylus and saving them to dropbox is fucking sweet




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests