Is this normal for an exam?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

Is this normal for an exam?

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I am taking property this semester and just looked over an old exam for my professor posted online.

2 long answer essay questions, 8 short answer questions regarding estates/adverse possession (1-2 sentence answer depending on question), and 16 multiple choice. The 2 long essay questions have about 5 or so different issues weaved in each. The hypos themselves are two pages long, single-spaced.

Students are given 1.5 hours to complete the exam.

Does this time limit seem normal?

Last semester, I had a similar exam but was given 3.5 hours for it. Each long essay response was about 5 pages single spaced. I'm not quite sure how I should tackle this exam because when I type fast, I make a lot of errors. Not even sure if I could finish with decent responses even if I typed faster.

Any tips?

ph14

Re: Is this normal for an exam?

Postby ph14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Jessuf wrote:I am taking property this semester and just looked over an old exam for my professor posted online.

2 long answer essay questions, 8 short answer questions regarding estates/adverse possession (1-2 sentence answer depending on question), and 16 multiple choice. The 2 long essay questions have about 5 or so different issues weaved in each. The hypos themselves are two pages long, single-spaced.

Last semester, I had a similar exam but was given 3.5 hours for it. Each long essay response was about 5 pages single spaced. I'm not quite sure how I should tackle this exam because when I type fast, I make a lot of errors. Not even sure if I could finish with decent responses even if I typed faster.

Any tips?

Type fast and make typos. Your professor has to be expecting it.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Jessuf wrote:I am taking property this semester and just looked over an old exam for my professor posted online.

Any tips?

That's awful. Are you absolutely sure you read the time limit right? Maybe multiple time limits per section?

If not I would say this is one of the few times the curve might actually be your friend. Start practicing now. At least a few people won't have any idea going in how little time they have, and bomb it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

2-page long hypos have a shitton more than 5 issues.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm

kalvano wrote:2-page long hypos have a shitton more than 5 issues.

Maybe that was the profs concession to the time limit?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Doubtful. The time limits sounds wrong. It's per essay or the recommended time or something. I've had profs "recommend" time so as to leave half the allotted time for planning and proof reading.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 pm

that sounds really crazy. is there a model answer?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:that sounds really crazy. is there a model answer?

I've heard of exams that are at least this crazy, so I can definitely believe it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm

ph14 wrote:

I've heard of exams that are at least this crazy, so I can definitely believe it.

in 1.5 hours? at least then everyone's pretty much screwed

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:

I made up the 5 issues part. I just quickly scanned over them. I meant to say it was multiple issues, not just 1 or 2.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

The professor allows students to type up answers for the old exam, then discuss it with him at office hours. I'm going to try to tackle it over spring break and then drop in and be like, "wtf is this exam...."

I heard from 2Ls his exam was insanely hard, but I thought they meant the content was tricksy. The actual questions seem pretty standard. Not difficult, not easy. I guess they just meant the time limit was insane. I bet the exam turns into an outline dump for everyone.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”