Law school geniuses - Anyone know one personally?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTTLS

Re: Law school geniuses - Anyone know one personally?

Postby TTTLS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 am

Absurd wrote:
jbc7 wrote: Okay kid, I'm sure your delusions and day-dreaming while sitting in a high school class really does equate to this thing called reality.
Get a grip, stop being full of shit.

Wow, guess I really struck a nerve here.

I won't apologize for being a successful student while you struggle to keep up.

But good luck with the rest of your studies as you continue to put in ten times the effort for half the grade, and graduate a mediocre, jobless douchebag, saddled with debt and bitter at the world that convinced you that all that mattered was that you tried your best.

Grow up.

Oh dayum. You just gonna take that, jbc7?

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 am

Aspiring law school genius here to answer any questions you may have.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:27 am

Ded Precedent wrote:Aspiring law school genius here to answer any questions you may have.

The only question I have for you and other geniuses is, when it comes to the final exams, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 am

TTTLS wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:Aspiring law school genius here to answer any questions you may have.

The only question I have for you and other geniuses is, when it comes to the final exams, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Is this some genius puzzle of a question

georgemasonhopeful

Postby georgemasonhopeful » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 am

<------

next year

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am

jbc7 wrote:
Absurd wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Mostly because no one is dumb enough to do that little work 1L year.

Oh, 1L I still went to about half my classes, more or less, depending on the professor/time of day (prob only 1/4 or so of the really shitty/early ones). Finished 1L in the top 5%.

I didn't start seriously skipping until 2L.

This guy is full of shit

No he's not. I studied a lot, A LOT, the last 6 weeks of the semester. But, I missed a lot of class (to study or work on my brief), didn't ever read the casebook (used supplements and the casebook table of contents + syllabus to guide supplement study), and just e-mailed teachers when I had questions, which I think is a much better way to actually get information.

Rarely do you get a professor who's class is actually productive - I had one last semester and I have one this semester. I go to them. If I miss any of the others, then no matter what, I was doing something more productive - even if I just slept in.

Other than learning what your teacher likes to see on his exams in terms of style, technique, format, etc., what he thinks doesn't really matter as much as people on this forum say. That is, the "teacher's wording" isn't critical, at least it wasn't for me, for the 1L doctrinal classes. The law is the law. As long as you are using the write format/style for that teacher, and have the law correct, you're okay. Just because your teacher likes to use the terms "formal" and "functional" for the two separation of powers arguments doesn't mean you won't get credit if you write "textual" and "structural" (or whatever).

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

So do people usually despise these geniuses? I have pretty much been like this my whole life, picking up on things much faster and being able to crank out good work very easily compared to others. I usually try to avoid making this known since I learned pretty early on that most people don't really like when their peers seem to slide by with no effort while they struggle. Obviously I don't know if my streak will continue in law school but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I just don't want to end up hated.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So do people usually despise these geniuses? I have pretty much been like this my whole life, picking up on things much faster and being able to crank out good work very easily compared to others. I usually try to avoid making this known since I learned pretty early on that most people don't really like when their peers seem to slide by with no effort while they struggle. Obviously I don't know if my streak will continue in law school but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I just don't want to end up hated.

you also don't want to end up in the bottom 10% so be sureeee you're a genius before you try to do this.

and no, no one hates on these geniuses because usually people are amazed at how lazy/inattentive they are in class - one guy in my section took 0 notes in all four classes we were in together, and there's gossip like: "hey this guy is either a genius or he's going to get a C"

howeverrrrr....if you do end up somehow doing super well while being super hard working AND brag about it, then yes, people will obviously hate you

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So do people usually despise these geniuses? I have pretty much been like this my whole life, picking up on things much faster and being able to crank out good work very easily compared to others. I usually try to avoid making this known since I learned pretty early on that most people don't really like when their peers seem to slide by with no effort while they struggle. Obviously I don't know if my streak will continue in law school but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I just don't want to end up hated.

That was true for me until law school.

Also, I am trying the not working very hard this semester. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also think there is something to be said for the people who work really hard. When I went through previous training in my life I generally found it super easy. I never put in any effort to learn, it just came to me. Three years later I found myself in the middle of the pack in the actual profession I had entered. I just expected it to come to me, but in the real world you generally have to put in some effort to be one of the best. I wonder if effort in school inures you to the effort required in the real world.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Also, I am trying the not working very hard this semester. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also think there is something to be said for the people who work really hard. When I went through previous training in my life I generally found it super easy. I never put in any effort to learn, it just came to me. Three years later I found myself in the middle of the pack in the actual profession I had entered. I just expected it to come to me, but in the real world you generally have to put in some effort to be one of the best. I wonder if effort in school inures you to the effort required in the real world.

I have been in the real world for exactly 2 years now and have increased by 15k from my starting salary and will probably make another 5k more by August and I still pretty much feel like I do nothing. I get paid well because when problems pop up I can solve them about 10x faster than anyone else and because I can pretty much pick up whatever I need to know to get things done. I am getting paid more than anyone else historically in my position because I can accomplish more, yet I still spend probably 70% of my time reading a book or internet surfing. I say this not to brag on myself, I am sure there are plenty of people on here smarter than me, but to illustrate that I still don't think the real world requires any extra effort than school did. In all honesty, I think I actually put in less effort now than I did in school.

I'm not going into law school with the attitude that I can just skate by, that would be a terrible investment. If I wanted to spend my life pretty much doing nothing for a living I would keep my current job. I am actually hoping that law school and the legal profession ends up being something that I have to work hard for.
Last edited by Lvaughn714 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bns_77

Postby bns_77 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Who knows if I could've been a ten-percenter without trying. I wasn't cocky enough to try... So I studied like a normal student should and made it.

I only know one guy who took minimal notes and outlined 2 days before the final (which consisted of him putting his minimal notes into a single document) and is pretty high up there in the rankings. He does go to class though.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Absurd is only top 10%. MAybe if he tried harder he could be number 1

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:02 pm

The only true law genius I've even met is a partner at my firm who is legendary for slacking and ending up in the top 5 people at HYS. This has been corroborated by other partners who went to school with him/her. Made partner early too.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 pm

There is an impressive level of douchebaggery in this thread - both from the treydeuce and "no one like treydeuce exists" side of things.

This just in: People do law school differently and get different results! Zomg!

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm

$ .02 on this:

I'm one of these people. I do the readings and go to class. During finals I bump it up to 40 hours a week. But I think plenty — not most, but plenty — of my classmates are as smart as I am. I think the difference is in confidence. Someone earlier called it stupid to slack during 1L. I think many people could do as well with less work, but they're not brave enough — or if you prefer, stupid enough — to try. With no external assessment before the exam, it can be hard to be confident in your own understanding when your only measure of comparison is how hard other people are working. So people who know the material overwork.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Things I've learned from law school...

1. If you write well, you will do well.
2. Study smart, not hard.
3. Apply law to fact. Apply law to fact.

Kids who are in the top 10% all write well. Than there is the next tier of people, like me, who write well when given time, but grammar is gone during finals.

concise and correct, imho

I'll add that there's also a 3rd tier of people who can't write for shit and will get low grades...but they look the part, act the part, and earn the part if they can manage to pass the Bar exam. These ppl usually hover around the median, but they're funny and likeable. Prosecutors, plaintiff attorneys.

se7en

Postby se7en » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Ive been out of school for a few years before starting 1L -- My first semester, after doing all the readings for about a month I began to slack off and just read case briefs online here and there. I had trouble following lectures and did not have much of a clue about what was going on. About 2 months before exams my friends hooked me up with a few outlines for each class. At that point I stopped reading casebriefs completely and just went over the outlines, watched Barbri lectures, and did some E&Es on the parts I had trouble with.. I got all A's except in writing / research 1L.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Last semester, I dedicated about 2 days of outlining, reviewing, prac exams, etc. to each class before the exams. Though I went to most of my classes because my school has a very strict attendance policy, I surfed gawker and played sporcle the whole time. I somehow ended up in the top 1%. I think it is because (as some people discussed) I am a good writer under pressure. I'm positive some of my classmates knew more than me about the topics, so this is the only way I can rationalize it. The guy who is ranked right below me in my section is an absolute gunner and lives and breathes law school. I would never be able to do that without burning out, but he seems to be really passionate about being a gunner.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Most people at my school talk about how they study ALL THE TIME, not about how they never study. So as far as I can tell, none of these people exist here.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Absurd wrote:Hey man, I'm sorry you're stuck with doing things the hard way, but that doesn't mean everyone is.
I'd send you my transcript, but I don't want to.

Absurd wrote:Wow, guess I really struck a nerve here.

I won't apologize for being a successful student while you struggle to keep up.

But good luck with the rest of your studies as you continue to put in ten times the effort for half the grade, and graduate a mediocre, jobless douchebag, saddled with debt and bitter at the world that convinced you that all that mattered was that you tried your best.

Grow up.

You have great grades, and no one likes you. You talk a big game to validate your loneliness. Enjoy your senior associate track.

traydeuce wrote:I'm kind of insulted that this thread has gone without anyone mentioning me. As all of TLS (I thought!) knows, I made top 1% at a t14, after acing things at the t30 school I transferred from, without really studying at all or taking any notes during class. I read the casebook, made 8-page outlines a week or less before the exam, and that's it. I do read the casebook pretty carefully though. But I'm sure for other people mastering a really solid supplement works too. I imagine I could've gotten A's in con law from reading Chemerinsky, though my exam-writing style is really dependent on detail I get from the cases.

It's prob just that you're too boring for people to remember you.

Just don't be like the two dudes quoted above you. If you're smart, then kick ass and be modest. People will respect the hell out of you for that, and good things will happen to you.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:

I have been in the real world for exactly 2 years now and have increased by 15k from my starting salary and will probably make another 5k more by August and I still pretty much feel like I do nothing. I get paid well because when problems pop up I can solve them about 10x faster than anyone else and because I can pretty much pick up whatever I need to know to get things done. I am getting paid more than anyone else historically in my position because I can accomplish more, yet I still spend probably 70% of my time reading a book or internet surfing. I say this not to brag on myself, I am sure there are plenty of people on here smarter than me, but to illustrate that I still don't think the real world requires any extra effort than school did. In all honesty, I think I actually put in less effort now than I did in school.

I'm not going into law school with the attitude that I can just skate by, that would be a terrible investment. If I wanted to spend my life pretty much doing nothing for a living I would keep my current job. I am actually hoping that law school and the legal profession ends up being something that I have to work hard for.

Well aren't you just the bee's knees.

Please tell me you're going to YSH...it will at least be a bit easier to stomach your arrogance.

~Edited in hopes of earning karmic brownie points with Stanford. Thanks TTTLS
Last edited by DaftAndDirect on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Well aren't you just the bee's knees.

Please tell me you're going to YHS...it will at least be a bit easier to stomach your arrogance.

It's YSH now. Crazy times!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Do people have to be that douchey and pompous when they brag about being top-of-the-class slackers?? There's a way to talk about it tastefully...

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm

if not lying, c'mon that's pretty impressive. $20k increase in this economy? and going to law school so i'm assuming you aren't already making like 140 or something where 20 wouldn't be a hugeee deal

potential law school genius up hurr or otherwise potential post 1st semester drop out

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

You know how to really be impressive? Do awesome shit and let it speak for itself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”