Which internship to go with?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
greg737

Which internship to go with?

Postby greg737 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:58 am

Alright so am I am 1L and have an offer in hand from a large county's public defender's office, one that requires me to respond by the 16th, so this Friday, whether I will accept it or not.

I then interview today at a state Court of Appeal for an externship. The interview went pretty well, so I am feeling as if I may be selected. However, the coordinator told me that there is no way she will know by Friday.

For those who have done either kind of internship, or people who are working already, which is the better summer option? I am interested in pursuing criminal though, albeit from the DA side of things, but I was not offered an internship with the DA's Office I spoke to. I'm just not sure which "looks better".

I am going to ask the PD's office for an extension to decide, but if they don't allow me to have one, then I face the tough decision of turning down an offer without another one in hand.

Thanks for any thoughts.

bk1

Re: Which internship to go with?

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 am

Do you have any other leads in case the state appellate court falls through? I mean it's only mid March so you'll probably be able to nab something if you turn down the PD and don't get the judicial externship, but having put a lot of apps out there would make it less risky (and would be even more comfortable if you have actual leads).

greg737

Re: Which internship to go with?

Postby greg737 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 am

Yes I have had several other interviews, one with Dept. of homeland security and another with a city government. I've applied for a lot of stuff.

I think the PD's office and the court are the best options, though, and was looking for any comparison or thoughts between the two.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”