I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Crash32
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby Crash32 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 pm

So, I am currently in the top 25% at a t-40 school. I have been working on my LAWR II big brief for the last few weeks, which I submitted on Friday. I thought I had an awesome brief put together, great cites and parentheticals, the whole she-bang, then the day of submitting I noticed a margin error and fixing it put me 3 pages over the page limit w/ like 1 hour til time to submit. I had to cut like a wild man to get below the page limit and didn't even have time to proof read the result b/c I was right at the deadline. Looking back over it, I found 2-3 major citing errors, some stupid typos/ missing words, and there are no parentheticals, but the argument still makes some sense. Assuming that I bomb this brief (almost a certainty in my book) and get a low B in LAWR II or MAYBE struggle to get back to median, have I screwed myself for the rest of my law school career or for jobs? Is this the worst class to bomb? Thanks for the look

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't think it matters that much, depending on what you want to do. If you can, get on to law review or a journal...while their value is constantly debated on here, one thing it will do is quell any doubts about writing ability.

Regardless of whether you grade on or write on, there is an assumption that being on LR / journal means you are at least competent as a writer.

I've had lots of interviews, been questioned about different grades, never once had a question about my writing (with a B both semesters in LRW). Anecdotal, obviously, but take it for what it's worth.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:25 am

"Screwed for the rest of law school" because of one messed-up brief? Take a deep breath and relax. Watch some cat videos or something.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Crash32 wrote:So, I am currently in the top 25% at a t-40 school. I have been working on my LAWR II big brief for the last few weeks, which I submitted on Friday. I thought I had an awesome brief put together, great cites and parentheticals, the whole she-bang, then the day of submitting I noticed a margin error and fixing it put me 3 pages over the page limit w/ like 1 hour til time to submit. I had to cut like a wild man to get below the page limit and didn't even have time to proof read the result b/c I was right at the deadline. Looking back over it, I found 2-3 major citing errors, some stupid typos/ missing words, and there are no parentheticals, but the argument still makes some sense. Assuming that I bomb this brief (almost a certainty in my book) and get a low B in LAWR II or MAYBE struggle to get back to median, have I screwed myself for the rest of my law school career or for jobs? Is this the worst class to bomb? Thanks for the look

wow...that must have been some panic you were in.

don't worry until you receive your grade. also, do margin errors= auto-fail? if not, i would have been more inclined to have left the error there.

Crash32
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby Crash32 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Lasers wrote:
Crash32 wrote:So, I am currently in the top 25% at a t-40 school. I have been working on my LAWR II big brief for the last few weeks, which I submitted on Friday. I thought I had an awesome brief put together, great cites and parentheticals, the whole she-bang, then the day of submitting I noticed a margin error and fixing it put me 3 pages over the page limit w/ like 1 hour til time to submit. I had to cut like a wild man to get below the page limit and didn't even have time to proof read the result b/c I was right at the deadline. Looking back over it, I found 2-3 major citing errors, some stupid typos/ missing words, and there are no parentheticals, but the argument still makes some sense. Assuming that I bomb this brief (almost a certainty in my book) and get a low B in LAWR II or MAYBE struggle to get back to median, have I screwed myself for the rest of my law school career or for jobs? Is this the worst class to bomb? Thanks for the look

wow...that must have been some panic you were in.

don't worry until you receive your grade. also, do margin errors= auto-fail? if not, i would have been more inclined to have left the error there.


Unfortunately, the error was really apparent when I printed it (I like wide margins for outlines to fit more in), so submitting it w/ the margins like that could have resulted in auto-fail and HC violation since it was clear the margins were off.

I feel like I was having a freak out when I posted this, and have claimed down significantly since then. I will try to not get worked up about this until I get grades, but I'm just curious if, worst case scenario, I get a far below median grade in LAWR 2 like a low B (81/82) but keep a 90-92 average for my other classes like I had last semester, will I be OK or not?

s1m4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby s1m4 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm

you will be ok

User avatar
bns_77
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:19 am

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby bns_77 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 pm

you're woefully underestimating how horrendous many of your classmates' briefs will be. If it's still well organized, well-reasoned, and readable, a few typos won't kill you

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I don't think I am screwed... am I wrong?

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 pm

bns_77 wrote:you're woefully underestimating how horrendous many of your classmates' briefs will be. If it's still well organized, well-reasoned, and readable, a few typos won't kill you


Depends on the professor. Mine would have failed you.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gadzooks, j431e782 and 16 guests