good system for organizing case research?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
portaprokoss

good system for organizing case research?

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Anybody know of one? I pretty much copied headnotes & useful tidbits into a giant gobbledygook word document that ended up being 50 pages. Not efficient.

Any ideas?

jessuf

Re: good system for organizing case research?

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:32 pm

For law review notes/comments?? Or app briefs?

I use word too but put it in outline format with a table of contents, so I can easily find everything later.
I also use the folders feature on Westlaw and have millions of folders and subfolders.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

portaprokoss wrote:Anybody know of one? I pretty much copied headnotes & useful tidbits into a giant gobbledygook word document that ended up being 50 pages. Not efficient.

Any ideas?

Use Westlaw Next and save the cases you think are worthwhile.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 am

ph14 wrote:Use Westlaw Next and save the cases you think are worthwhile.

Agreed. In Westlaw Next you can create folders and subfolders and save sources to those folders. (Click on "Folders" in the upper right corner.) I've found this to be the most efficient way to do research. You can organize sources by cases, journals, etc. Then within those folders you can organize by the position the source takes or otherwise. It works.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 am

Here to echo Westlaw folders. You can also highlight and take notes on there. I've yet to print off any case for a memo or brief. It's good to cast a wide net and find cases generally talking about what you are looking for and then save them. Later you can wade through and mark up the good ones and delete the ones that aren't useful.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”