Explain to me how the MBE works please

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Explain to me how the MBE works please

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I am planning to take both the NY and NJ state bars. I know I have to register for both and also the MBE. How does the MBE fit into all of this? For example, if I take the exam in NY, would day 1 be NY-related stuff and then day 2 would be the MBE? And if so, would this be enough to satisfy the state of NJ? Is there a third day of testing I don't know about?

My friend said that some of his friends had to take day 1 in NY and then frantically head into NJ to take day 2 of the exam. Is this how it works? I'm a NYC resident if that helps.

ggocat

Re: Explain to me how the MBE works please

Postby ggocat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Some states accept MBE scores taken in other jurisdictions and will allow you to sit for the MBE in another state while you do the state-specific test in the subject state so long as the state-specific tests of each state are not on the same day. I'm not sure how NY and NJ work specifically; you would need to research the rules on each state's website.

Butyes, you will have to sit in different states for different parts of the exam.

From your post, it sounds like NY will accept MBE test results from another state, so you would sit in NY for NY state law, and you would sit in NJ for MBE and NJ state law.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm

ggocat wrote:Some states accept MBE scores taken in other jurisdictions and will allow you to sit for the MBE in another state while you do the state-specific test in the subject state so long as the state-specific tests of each state are not on the same day. I'm not sure how NY and NJ work specifically; you would need to research the rules on each state's website.

Butyes, you will have to sit in different states for different parts of the exam.

From your post, it sounds like NY will accept MBE test results from another state, so you would sit in NY for NY state law, and you would sit in NJ for MBE and NJ state law.

The people who I know that did the NY and NJ bars did day 1 and day 2 in NYC (Javits Center), and then day 3 in NJ (Seacaucus).

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:33 pm

There is some good info here:

--LinkRemoved--

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 am

keg411 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Some states accept MBE scores taken in other jurisdictions and will allow you to sit for the MBE in another state while you do the state-specific test in the subject state so long as the state-specific tests of each state are not on the same day. I'm not sure how NY and NJ work specifically; you would need to research the rules on each state's website.

The people who I know that did the NY and NJ bars did day 1 and day 2 in NYC (Javits Center), and then day 3 in NJ (Seacaucus).

sweet mother of god there's a third day?!?! ugh maybe i should just drop out now

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
keg411 wrote:

sweet mother of god there's a third day?!?! ugh maybe i should just drop out now

Day 1 = NYC essays
Day 2 = MBE MC
Day 3 = NJ essays

If you just do one state it's 2 days (except I think CA and TX are three days).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”