Stupid Mac question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
llachans

Silver

Stupid Mac question

Post by llachans » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Computer illiterate 0L here. I think I'm going to switch over to a Mac come fall and have very little experience with it. I've seen multiple One Note tutorials on here and think that One Note looks easy enough to navigate and create organized outlines/briefs/etc.

Does One Note come on Mac? If not, is there something comparable to it?

Thanks.

Gold

Re: Stupid Mac question

Post by 20130312 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 pm

No, but you can use Growly Notes. It's not quite as good, but it'll do, pig. It'll do.
Last edited by 20130312 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I've heard Circus Ponies is the best Mac note-taking software, although it apparently still doesn't quite match the capabilities of One Note. There are people who switch back to Windows machines or run Windows on their Macs specifically for One Note; it's apparently that good. I've only poked around in One Note so far but it looks pretty awesome.

I don't understand how anyone under the age of 50 is still computer illiterate. You'd better at least be able to type well for law school!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Circus ponies is really nice and I use it on my mac. It is not as good as onenote. The difference isn't that big though.

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I've heard about Circus Ponies. I also heard Growly Notes is the closest thing to One Note, and it's free! But I guess since it's free I'd be paranoid about it shutting down, losing my notes and having no one to blame. I have a Mac now too, so I'm trying to decide. Also contemplating just running boot camp and getting one note....is boot camp worth it? Does it slow down your computer or anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:I've heard about Circus Ponies. I also heard Growly Notes is the closest thing to One Note, and it's free! But I guess since it's free I'd be paranoid about it shutting down, losing my notes and having no one to blame. I have a Mac now too, so I'm trying to decide. Also contemplating just running boot camp and getting one note....is boot camp worth it? Does it slow down your computer or anything?
I did for one course and it was nice. I don't know if it is worth ~300 dollars though.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I've heard Circus Ponies is the best Mac note-taking software, although it apparently still doesn't quite match the capabilities of One Note. There are people who switch back to Windows machines or run Windows on their Macs specifically for One Note; it's apparently that good. I've only poked around in One Note so far but it looks pretty awesome.

I don't understand how anyone under the age of 50 is still computer illiterate. You'd better at least be able to type well for law school!
haha. "computer illiterate" was a huge hyperbole. I type fast and know my way around Windows really well. My experience to Mac is limited to three, maybe four times though.

I think I might just run Windows on my Mac. That seems like the best option. Thank you!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Jessuf wrote:Why can't you just use word? I use word for my outlines, and everything looks fine. It's not like you're ever going to reference it again after the semester or even have time to reference it during the final.
Because systems like http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=127496 appeal to me. I like to remain as organized as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm

llachans wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I've heard Circus Ponies is the best Mac note-taking software, although it apparently still doesn't quite match the capabilities of One Note. There are people who switch back to Windows machines or run Windows on their Macs specifically for One Note; it's apparently that good. I've only poked around in One Note so far but it looks pretty awesome.

haha. "computer illiterate" was a huge hyperbole. I type fast and know my way around Windows really well. My experience to Mac is limited to three, maybe four times though.

I think I might just run Windows on my Mac. That seems like the best option. Thank you!
Oh good. :)

But why would you choose this particular moment in life to switch to a vastly more expensive computer platform with which you're not familiar? What if you hate it? (I do.)

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Jessuf wrote:Why can't you just use word? I use word for my outlines, and everything looks fine. It's not like you're ever going to reference it again after the semester or even have time to reference it during the final.
I have circus ponies on my macbook...don't use it. Word notebook is fine for notes and outlining.
drmguy wrote:
PinkRevolver wrote:I've heard about Circus Ponies. I also heard Growly Notes is the closest thing to One Note, and it's free! But I guess since it's free I'd be paranoid about it shutting down, losing my notes and having no one to blame. I have a Mac now too, so I'm trying to decide. Also contemplating just running boot camp and getting one note....is boot camp worth it? Does it slow down your computer or anything?
I did for one course and it was nice. I don't know if it is worth ~300 dollars though.
What did you spend 300 doll hairs on?

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

But why would you choose this particular moment in life to switch to a vastly more expensive computer platform with which you're not familiar? What if you hate it? (I do.)
That's a good question. I had huge problems with my Vista. It always seemed to catch viruses even though I never downloaded anything suspicious. I've heard that Mac is a little better in that regard. The last thing I need is my laptop getting a virus around finals (or any time during the semester). Also, my girlfriend bought a Mac and it has a lot of functions that Vista does not have that I find useful.

Why don't you like your Mac? (I am still open to switching my opinion as I do not plan to buy a new laptop until August).

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
I have circus ponies on my macbook...don't use it. Word notebook is fine for notes and outlining.
drmguy wrote:
What did you spend 300 doll hairs on?
Wow, it is much cheaper now. Nvm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:12 pm

llachans wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

That's a good question. I had huge problems with my Vista. It always seemed to catch viruses even though I never downloaded anything suspicious. I've heard that Mac is a little better in that regard. The last thing I need is my laptop getting a virus around finals (or any time during the semester). Also, my girlfriend bought a Mac and it has a lot of functions that Vista does not have that I find useful.

Why don't you like your Mac? (I am still open to switching my opinion as I do not plan to buy a new laptop until August).
I don't have a Mac. I would never buy one because I hate the OS. I don't find it intuitive at all; they concentrate so hard on making it streamlined-looking and pretty that everything is hidden or stylized to the point of obscurity. And then they (literally) charge twice as much for it.

Everyone hated Vista. It had huge problems (viruses should not be one of them, if you are taking a few simple precautions, however). Windows 7 is considered to have fixed pretty much all of the issues Vista had.

I actually have never had much of a problem with Vista personally, but I take the experts' word for it. The things that annoyed me about it at first were settings that were easily changed. (goddamn popup security warnings!) I haven't had a virus since probably Win98, before a constantly-running antivirus like Norton or McAfee was the norm.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Since the topic has shifted somewhat I will address your new concerns. I was a longtime mac hater. Got my first mac in 2008 and I've been a mac lover ever since. Biggest downside for me is microsoft word. I don't really like pages and word for mac is not the same as PC. That's really what it comes down to. You live for 10+ years using one word processor/other software and your brain will be a little unwilling to learn it all over again. I would say the more computer illiterate you are the easier the transition will be.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 am

Please do not run windows on your Mac.

It takes five minutes to learn your way around word for Mac, it's perfectly acceptable for note taking and outlining. Also I don't think it's any different, at all, from the PC version. I have no idea what the poster above me is talking about.

(I used circus ponies 1L year, it just wasn't that amazing. Word is infinitely easier.)

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
llachans wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I don't have a Mac. I would never buy one because I hate the OS. I don't find it intuitive at all; they concentrate so hard on making it streamlined-looking and pretty that everything is hidden or stylized to the point of obscurity. And then they (literally) charge twice as much for it.

Everyone hated Vista. It had huge problems (viruses should not be one of them, if you are taking a few simple precautions, however). Windows 7 is considered to have fixed pretty much all of the issues Vista had.

I actually have never had much of a problem with Vista personally, but I take the experts' word for it. The things that annoyed me about it at first were settings that were easily changed. (goddamn popup security warnings!) I haven't had a virus since probably Win98, before a constantly-running antivirus like Norton or McAfee was the norm.
This. I would never purchase a Mac product. MacBooks are overpriced, and the OS is just a less intuitive Windows knock-off. Also, OneNote is by far superior to all other note-taking software. I've tried a few different ones on W7, OS X, and Ubuntu, and all others come up (very) short.

If you're willing to drop enough money to buy a MacBook, I'd highly recommend spending it on the PC I just purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056EY8NA/ref ... B0056EY8NA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:43 am

Pricer wrote:
This. I would never purchase a Mac product. MacBooks are overpriced, and the OS is just a less intuitive Windows knock-off. Also, OneNote is by far superior to all other note-taking software. I've tried a few different ones on W7, OS X, and Ubuntu, and all others come up (very) short.

If you're willing to drop enough money to buy a MacBook, I'd highly recommend spending it on the PC I just purchased.

tl;dr: Don't buy Mac overpriced crap. Here, buy Windows overpriced crap.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 am

Pricer wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
llachans wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You realize that Windows is admittedly ripped off the Mac right? And you can always get a preview of upcoming windows features by using the latest Mac OS? Nor is it less intuitive. If you want to push PCs that's fine. But don't make shit up or talk about things you have no knowledge of.

Also, that laptop has shitty specs and is way overpriced.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 am

drmguy wrote:Since the topic has shifted somewhat I will address your new concerns. I was a longtime mac hater. Got my first mac in 2008 and I've been a mac lover ever since. Biggest downside for me is microsoft word. I don't really like pages and word for mac is not the same as PC. That's really what it comes down to. You live for 10+ years using one word processor/other software and your brain will be a little unwilling to learn it all over again. I would say the more computer illiterate you are the easier the transition will be.
Have you switched to Office 2011? It's now virtually the same as the PC version.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 am

blowhard wrote:
drmguy wrote:Since the topic has shifted somewhat I will address your new concerns. I was a longtime mac hater. Got my first mac in 2008 and I've been a mac lover ever since. Biggest downside for me is microsoft word. I don't really like pages and word for mac is not the same as PC. That's really what it comes down to. You live for 10+ years using one word processor/other software and your brain will be a little unwilling to learn it all over again. I would say the more computer illiterate you are the easier the transition will be.
Have you switched to Office 2011? It's now virtually the same as the PC version.
2008...looks like you shouldn't believe anything I say.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 am

drmguy wrote:
blowhard wrote:
2008...looks like you shouldn't believe anything I say.
You should upgrade. It's 100x better. It was a common complaint hence why they changed it. The only difference is the Mac gives you a Notebook view which makes it function more like OneNote. There are still some slight differences in appearance but the functuality is the same and they finally called stuff what it's called on the PC. No idea why they had to be so different before.

http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/ ... mac_review

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 am

Buy a Mac. Install Windows via Bootcamp. Erase OSX.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 am

kalvano wrote:Buy a Mac. Install Windows via Bootcamp. Erase OSX.
This makes no sense. Why would you do that?

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 am

blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:Buy a Mac. Install Windows via Bootcamp. Erase OSX.
This makes no sense. Why would you do that?
Because you're an idiot, and you think a mac looks cool, but you're somehow not smart enough to navigate it, despite it being 100x easier than a PC. BUT I LEARNED ON A PC. HOW CAN I LEARN SOMETHING NEW NOW??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”