Stupid Mac question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Stupid Mac question

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm

blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:Buy a Mac. Install Windows via Bootcamp. Erase OSX.
This makes no sense. Why would you do that?
Apple makes better hardware - the Air and their trackpads. Windows 7 is a much better OS. Best of both worlds.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:45 pm

blowhard wrote:
Pricer wrote: This. I would never purchase a Mac product. MacBooks are overpriced, and the OS is just a less intuitive Windows knock-off. Also, OneNote is by far superior to all other note-taking software. I've tried a few different ones on W7, OS X, and Ubuntu, and all others come up (very) short.

If you're willing to drop enough money to buy a MacBook, I'd highly recommend spending it on the PC I just purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056EY8NA/ref ... B0056EY8NA
You realize that Windows is admittedly ripped off the Mac right? And you can always get a preview of upcoming windows features by using the latest Mac OS? Nor is it less intuitive. If you want to push PCs that's fine. But don't make shit up or talk about things you have no knowledge of.

Also, that laptop has shitty specs and is way overpriced.
If anything, it would be Samsung who ripped off Apple, not Windows. That computer is the equivalent of a MacBook Air. They admit that. The only thing that is not equivalent is the price. If this laptop is overpriced, what do you think of a MacBook Air that is over $200 more? I don't see how I made up anything or talked shit about something I have no knowledge about, especially considering the research I put in before purchasing this computer and the ~20 years of experience I have using both PCs and Macs (hardware and software).

The reason this laptop lacks some of the hardware capabilities of other PCs is because it is .6 inches thick and weighs 3 pounds. I don't need a computer that can make 3D movies, I need a computer that is reliable, easy to transport, and can handle running OneNote, Word, Excel, Chrome, and WinAmp. On a full charge, my battery lasts over 7 hours. It takes about 2 seconds to wake up. The ONLY thing this computer lacks is sufficient hard drive space, as it only has 128 gb. While that is plenty for me, people with thousands of songs and movies would not have enough room. External hard drives and cloud storage has basically replaced the need for huge hard drives on your actual machine, so that problem is no longer a problem.

If I am so incorrect, why don't you point out what specifically is incorrect?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC9 ... 875&sr=8-1
There is a link to the MacBook Air. Tell me what it has that my laptop doesn't? The only differences I can find are the price and the OS, both of which point me straight to the Samsung. While I concede some people prefer OS X, I do NOT. Windows 7 is much more intuitive to me. Everything is where I can find it and where it has always been. Most businesses do not use Macs, so Mac users still need proficiency in Windows. That is one reason I stopped running Ubuntu. And as far as the price goes, I don't need to pay $200+ extra for a half-eaten apple on the front of my computer. My Samsung logo is just fine.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

blowhard wrote:
drmguy wrote:
blowhard wrote:
drmguy wrote:Since the topic has shifted somewhat I will address your new concerns. I was a longtime mac hater. Got my first mac in 2008 and I've been a mac lover ever since. Biggest downside for me is microsoft word. I don't really like pages and word for mac is not the same as PC. That's really what it comes down to. You live for 10+ years using one word processor/other software and your brain will be a little unwilling to learn it all over again. I would say the more computer illiterate you are the easier the transition will be.
Have you switched to Office 2011? It's now virtually the same as the PC version.
2008...looks like you shouldn't believe anything I say.
You should upgrade. It's 100x better. It was a common complaint hence why they changed it. The only difference is the Mac gives you a Notebook view which makes it function more like OneNote. There are still some slight differences in appearance but the functuality is the same and they finally called stuff what it's called on the PC. No idea why they had to be so different before.

http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/ ... mac_review
So Microsoft could piss people off enough to buy more PCs.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm

I use Circus Ponies and I really like it for organization. However, most of my Mac-using classmates just use Word and it's fine. The newest version of Word for Mac is 1000x better. Get that.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Pricer wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Pricer wrote: This. I would never purchase a Mac product. MacBooks are overpriced, and the OS is just a less intuitive Windows knock-off. Also, OneNote is by far superior to all other note-taking software. I've tried a few different ones on W7, OS X, and Ubuntu, and all others come up (very) short.

If you're willing to drop enough money to buy a MacBook, I'd highly recommend spending it on the PC I just purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056EY8NA/ref ... B0056EY8NA
You realize that Windows is admittedly ripped off the Mac right? And you can always get a preview of upcoming windows features by using the latest Mac OS? Nor is it less intuitive. If you want to push PCs that's fine. But don't make shit up or talk about things you have no knowledge of.

Also, that laptop has shitty specs and is way overpriced.
If anything, it would be Samsung who ripped off Apple, not Windows. That computer is the equivalent of a MacBook Air. They admit that. The only thing that is not equivalent is the price. If this laptop is overpriced, what do you think of a MacBook Air that is over $200 more? I don't see how I made up anything or talked shit about something I have no knowledge about, especially considering the research I put in before purchasing this computer and the ~20 years of experience I have using both PCs and Macs (hardware and software).

The reason this laptop lacks some of the hardware capabilities of other PCs is because it is .6 inches thick and weighs 3 pounds. I don't need a computer that can make 3D movies, I need a computer that is reliable, easy to transport, and can handle running OneNote, Word, Excel, Chrome, and WinAmp. On a full charge, my battery lasts over 7 hours. It takes about 2 seconds to wake up. The ONLY thing this computer lacks is sufficient hard drive space, as it only has 128 gb. While that is plenty for me, people with thousands of songs and movies would not have enough room. External hard drives and cloud storage has basically replaced the need for huge hard drives on your actual machine, so that problem is no longer a problem.

If I am so incorrect, why don't you point out what specifically is incorrect?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC9 ... 875&sr=8-1
There is a link to the MacBook Air. Tell me what it has that my laptop doesn't? The only differences I can find are the price and the OS, both of which point me straight to the Samsung. While I concede some people prefer OS X, I do NOT. Windows 7 is much more intuitive to me. Everything is where I can find it and where it has always been. Most businesses do not use Macs, so Mac users still need proficiency in Windows. That is one reason I stopped running Ubuntu. And as far as the price goes, I don't need to pay $200+ extra for a half-eaten apple on the front of my computer. My Samsung logo is just fine.
It seems you misunderstood him. The windows operating system is an apple knock off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”