Con Law Outlines

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Con Law Outlines

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Anyone have tips on compressing information for an outline when you need facts on a Con Law exam? I'm already at 50 pages and there's still much to be covered.

JR1988
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby JR1988 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Mce252 wrote:Anyone have tips on compressing information for an outline when you need facts on a Con Law exam? I'm already at 50 pages and there's still much to be covered.


What do you mean "when you need facts"?

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:54 pm

JR1988 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Anyone have tips on compressing information for an outline when you need facts on a Con Law exam? I'm already at 50 pages and there's still much to be covered.


What do you mean "when you need facts"?


Facts from cases as opposed to just law. We have to apply case precedent and distinguish/align facts. There is just a lot more material to outline.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Just compress the facts to 1 sentence if you have to. You probably wont be tested on the facts of the case anyways. I'm just putting in the rule and and very brief explanation why it is so.

50 pages is too much imo. I don't think a conlaw outline should be more than 35 for the entire semester.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Just compress the facts to 1 sentence if you have to. You probably wont be tested on the facts of the case anyways. I'm just putting in the rule and and very brief explanation why it is so.

50 pages is too much imo. I don't think a conlaw outline should be more than 35 for the entire semester.


My professor explicitly requires factual analysis in our essays so I have to put a little more than a sentence into my outlines. I guess it's just going to be long...

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12800
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby LeDique » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Why can't you make a case facts cheat sheet with one sentence for each case, all on one sheet? That sould be enough to jog your memory quickly and if its not, then you can look in your huge outline.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 pm

LeDique wrote:Why can't you make a case facts cheat sheet with one sentence for each case, all on one sheet? That sould be enough to jog your memory quickly and if its not, then you can look in your huge outline.


Closed book. But yes, I think I'm going with a similar system but with simplified flashcards.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I think flashcards are the way to go for Con law, we had closed book and flashcards were definitely the ticket.

apl6783
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby apl6783 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Mce252 wrote:Anyone have tips on compressing information for an outline when you need facts on a Con Law exam? I'm already at 50 pages and there's still much to be covered.


Make it a separate document - a table with two columns, the name of case on the left the facts on the right. Alphabetize.

Put both the outline and the case list in a binder and tab them.

Win.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Con Law Outlines

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:35 pm

apl6783 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Anyone have tips on compressing information for an outline when you need facts on a Con Law exam? I'm already at 50 pages and there's still much to be covered.


Make it a separate document - a table with two columns, the name of case on the left the facts on the right. Alphabetize.

Put both the outline and the case list in a binder and tab them.

Win.


Sounds like an open book strategy. As seen above, it's a closed book exam.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexandraHope, axel.foley, eg13 and 3 guests