Worked 41 hours by tuesday night

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
birdlaw117

Re: Worked 41 hours by tuesday night

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Riles246 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:If a corporation is operating on a calendar year basis their return is due in a week. While most large corporations operate on a fiscal year basis, Big 4 firms, as well as most firms, also prepare returns smaller and mid-size corporations that operate largely on a year end basis.

Oh, and you most people don't finish UG by 21, let alone start at a Big 4 firm (since they start in the fall).

Essentially, either you were a shitty associate that didn't observe what was going on around you, or you're making shit up.

So I guess you've read the tax code, but it's clear that you've never actually worked in the field. It's cool that you're trying, though. And that you feel confident enough to call people names even though your facts are wrong. Large corporations ALWAYS file extensions on their returns and as a result, their returns are due September 15. The numbers aren't even ready by March 15 since the financial statements aren't even due until March 15. So unless you work at a tiny accounting firm that deals with individuals or small companies, or you happen to be in a small group at the Big4 that deals with uber-wealthy people, you are not dealing with tax returns right now.

And are you seriously arguing about whether people start when they are 21 or 22?! Sorry, I never ran a poll of when the new associates birthdays were so that I could figure out if they were 21 or 22 by their september start date. Clearly a good reason to call someone a "shitty associate", thanks.

Yeah, I realized you probably meant after filing an extension. Sorry for that, but it's not like you don't have to put in work prior to that extension. And once you get the automatic extension you have 6 months to check out the data that was initially given to you to look at in 3 months, so it comes to you at a different density.

Not to mention, every Big 4 tax associate I know, and I know a lot of them, considers this their busy season. I don't know why anyone would consider their trough to be busy season. Yes, there is another one in August but it isn't as bad. Maybe that's something that differs from market to market, but I don't know why that would be the case.

ETA: considering that you should be able to remember when YOU started your job, a poll probably wouldn't be necessary. :roll:

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 pm

for the record: said brother is in auditing, is only this busy for about 3 months a year, and is not in a big 4 firm, more like the biggest 20 firms.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Yeah, I realized you probably meant after filing an extension. Sorry for that, but it's not like you don't have to put in work prior to that extension. And once you get the automatic extension you have 6 months to check out the data that was initially given to you to look at in 3 months, so it comes to you at a different density.

Not to mention, every Big 4 tax associate I know, and I know a lot of them, considers this their busy season. I don't know why anyone would consider their trough to be busy season. Yes, there is another one in August but it isn't as bad. Maybe that's something that differs from market to market, but I don't know why that would be the case.

ETA: considering that you should be able to remember when YOU started your job, a poll probably wouldn't be necessary. :roll:

You make me laugh. You are just flat out wrong, but you still have to keep the negative comments flying. I in fact DID start when I was 21, because my birthday fell that way. Here's one for you: :roll: And seriously, are you that big of a douche? Obviously the point of the comment about starting age was about how you get to start sooner than a law grad and was not meant to be scientific. It would've been exactly the same if I added "ish" to "21".

You say that your Big 4 tax friends call this their "busy season"... which I agree with. If you took the time to read my post rather than just starting some oddly placed flame war, you'd see that I said:
Riles246 wrote:Even the tax guys are doing audits right now, since auditing the tax provision is a big part of what a tax associate does at the Big4.
So yes, this is busy season, but it's not "tax season" (which is all I was saying in my first post, and I was clear about that). Your tax friends are working on "tax provisions", which is tax speak for "audits". January-March = audit busy season, July-September = tax busy season. Tax guys get busy during both. And try telling a tax guy who works on a big return that it "isn't as bad". I don't get it- you've never worked there, and you are trying to tell someone who did how everything works.

And why does this even matter? Busy is busy regardless of what they are working on. Now, who is the one
birdlaw117 wrote:making shit up

ITT: Birdlaw117, who has no Big 4 experience, tries to explain how accounting works at a Big 4 to a former Big 4 CPA.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 pm

ITT: Riles outspergs himself in every post.

dat autism.

ETA: keep 'em coming

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Guchster wrote:ITT: Riles outspergs himself in every post.

dat autism.

ETA: keep 'em coming

You are awesome.

Also, LOL @ Riles telling me that I've never worked there. I haven't worked in a Big 4 firm, but I've worked in a big firm.

Also, don't try and tell me that the only thing tax people are working on this time of year are audits. I know better than that, and you know better than that (still working on the assumption that you're a CPA and not making shit up).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”