Advice for Dropping Out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mamba24
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby Mamba24 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Just want to say I've already dropped out. The school I was going to is in a bad place now. The dean stepped down and their rankings dropped from 121 to 129. I'm happy I left. I have never been happier. I'm studying software programming now while continuing on with journalism.

I hope to create my own digital media outlet online in the coming year. This is the best decision I have ever made.

To anyone reading this, no matter what your parents, friends, family, or TLS-ers say, don't go to law school if you don't love it. You will fucking hate it, I promise. Don't go for the prestige or the money, both are gone now. The only thing prestigious about a law degree now is saying that you had the ability to endure 3-4 years of crap.

Also, I've learned to not obsesses over the money anymore. I am a firm believer that if you love something you will make a lot of money doing it, unless you become a janitor or something like that...

Thanks for all the advice guys!

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Mamba24 wrote:Just want to say I've already dropped out. The school I was going to is in a bad place now. The dean stepped down and their rankings dropped from 121 to 129. I'm happy I left. I have never been happier. I'm studying software programming now while continuing on with journalism.

I hope to create my own digital media outlet online in the coming year. This is the best decision I have ever made.

To anyone reading this, no matter what your parents, friends, family, or TLS-ers say, don't go to law school if you don't love it. You will fucking hate it, I promise. Don't go for the prestige or the money, both are gone now. The only thing prestigious about a law degree now is saying that you had the ability to endure 3-4 years of crap.

Also, I've learned to not obsesses over the money anymore. I am a firm believer that if you love something you will make a lot of money doing it, unless you become a janitor or something like that...

Thanks for all the advice guys!


Good post. Considering it myself.

NYC2014
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby NYC2014 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Reading this thread, I can't help but think, "Stop being a whiny bitch."

No one likes law school.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby protein » Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Anyone know how easy it would be to drop out of law school and go into pharmacy?

I think I'd have to take a post-bacc to accrue all the math/science credits, but it seems like it would be a much better fit for me

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 pm

NYC2014 wrote:Reading this thread, I can't help but think, "Stop being a whiny bitch."

No one likes law school.


For the people in this thread, I don't think it's a matter of not liking law school. I think it's more of a matter a dismal prospects with high debt. Maybe they dropped because their grades changed their circumstances. Maybe they didn't fully understand this until they entered law school.

As shitty as law school is, I think the real world is AT LEAST as bad, so it would make no sense to drop out because law school is "hard".

User avatar
dudnaito
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby dudnaito » Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 am

reformed calvinist wrote:Same here. Sounds like you have an easier decision though. I wish I could go back in time and convince myself to major in something useful.


My former self might put up a good fight as I used to actually work out, but the bastard's going down one way or the other.

User avatar
dudnaito
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby dudnaito » Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 am

protein wrote:Anyone know how easy it would be to drop out of law school and go into pharmacy?

I think I'd have to take a post-bacc to accrue all the math/science credits, but it seems like it would be a much better fit for me


Define "easy?" but if you're not completely r-tarded in math/sciences, seems very very doable. Besides it being mind-numbingly boring, it has good pay, solid hours, relatively plentiful job prospects. Unless you have delusions of grandeur (living like Barney Stinson), it's pretty awesome.

I have two pharmacist friends, and they both drive BMW's, have 120K jobs, and they seem to get a promotion every other year granted they still have to work in a Walgreens. Honestly, at this point, I kinda wish I'm in pharmacy, :lol:

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby protein » Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 am

dudnaito wrote:
protein wrote:Anyone know how easy it would be to drop out of law school and go into pharmacy?

I think I'd have to take a post-bacc to accrue all the math/science credits, but it seems like it would be a much better fit for me


Define "easy?" but if you're not completely r-tarded in math/sciences, seems very very doable. Besides it being mind-numbingly boring, it has good pay, solid hours, relatively plentiful job prospects. Unless you have delusions of grandeur (living like Barney Stinson), it's pretty awesome.

I have two pharmacist friends, and they both drive BMW's, have 120K jobs, and they seem to get a promotion every other year granted they still have to work in a Walgreens. Honestly, at this point, I kinda wish I'm in pharmacy, :lol:


Easy as in leaving law school to go to a post bacc (2 years, I think) then pharmacy school for 3-4 years.

I'm just not sure how feasible it would be to completely switch fields like that, but pharmacy seems like a much better alternative than the crap shoot that is law school.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 pm

protein wrote:Anyone know how easy it would be to drop out of law school and go into pharmacy?

I think I'd have to take a post-bacc to accrue all the math/science credits, but it seems like it would be a much better fit for me

Two of my best friends (roommates in undergrad) are at a pretty good pharmacy school (Ohio State). They aren't brilliant by any stretch, but they are smart. That said, from what they've told me, the PCAT is something you can master if you put in the time. Both of them scored in the 95th percentile or above.

Both pretty much have their choice of job prospects in Pittsburgh, St. Louis, or Columbus.

Mamba24
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby Mamba24 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Tomorrow, it will be four months that I have dropped out of law school. I thought I was going to go into Journalism but as everyone here said, that field is dead. As much as I liked it, it is not a true profession.

Now I am looking to get into consulting/HR.

I feel like it is the perfect job for me. I have a true passion for talking to people and getting things in order. I have already started reading about what steps I need to take. In the past 3 months I sent out some applications and have been admitted to a Ph.D program in Industrial Psychology and a couple of MBA programs that have special certificates in Org Management.

Dropping out of law school was tough, but I did what I had to do. Sometimes I look back and I miss it, but then I think about the future for lawyers and my own future. Based on the way school was going, I knew was going to hate my life.

This site is truly the best, you all helped me realize the ponzi scheme that is T3/T4 law schools. You all also helped me realize how pathetic it is to go to law school just to make money or for some sort of prestige.

Now I know where the road is going to take me, and it is definitely not in law.

vegankid
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:13 am

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby vegankid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:22 am

Hi Mamba, Sorry to revive this thread. I just like lurking around the forums to read about other people's experience with dropping out.

I was in the same exact place as you. I would've been an incoming 3L, class of 2013. However, I dropped out last summer, a few days before 2L classes started! I attended a lowT2/TTT. I couldn't be more happier with dropping out! I had the same feelings of confusion to a point that I did not even know how to face my old classmates on facebook! I knew law wasn't for me. Not only did I have bad grades, but I had absolutely no interest in the material.

Now I am enrolled at a top(ish) MBA program in the West Coast, and have been working the past year and interviewing for new jobs. Trust me, life will get better! Do not give up. Pursue your masters, PhD, or whatever you want to pursue... I'm sure it will be nothing like law school!

Enjoy life!

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby reformed calvinist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

dudnaito wrote:
protein wrote:Anyone know how easy it would be to drop out of law school and go into pharmacy?

I think I'd have to take a post-bacc to accrue all the math/science credits, but it seems like it would be a much better fit for me


Define "easy?" but if you're not completely r-tarded in math/sciences, seems very very doable. Besides it being mind-numbingly boring, it has good pay, solid hours, relatively plentiful job prospects. Unless you have delusions of grandeur (living like Barney Stinson), it's pretty awesome.

I have two pharmacist friends, and they both drive BMW's, have 120K jobs, and they seem to get a promotion every other year granted they still have to work in a Walgreens. Honestly, at this point, I kinda wish I'm in pharmacy, :lol:


Idk, my fear with pharmacy is that I'd be replaced by a robot as soon as I managed to graduate.

But it's not a bad career. Not to belittle pharmacists, because the curriculum is legit and rigorous for a PharmD, but it's not that hard to get into pharmacy school-maybe not easy per se, but far easier than medical/dental/vet. Less work than a PA, and less competitive.

ITE, realistically you'll be starting out in the high five figures, not 6 right away. But I don't know the job market for pharmacists that well. A family friend (college athlete who got injured, never made it pro bc of that, went to pharmacy school) works the night shift at a Walgreens in a nice neighborhood. It's quiet, so it feels less like a retail job (a common complaint from pharmacy school friends of mine), the pay is a little bit more. Honestly, you could do a lot worse than being a pharmacist. Might not be the most interesting work in the world (sounds hella boring to me) but seems like a good living (again, assuming robots don't take a big wet bite out of their job market in the next few years)

User avatar
lustre_mud
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Advice for Dropping Out

Postby lustre_mud » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Lawyers are envious of people in all professions except journalism.

Living in the 21st century blows. Journalism should be a respected, well-paid profession.


i'll respect them when they learn how to write.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: smithk, UnicornHunter, Veil of Ignorance and 8 guests