Quick Citation Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Quick Citation Question

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Which is the correct ALWD pinpoint citation for a case in a memo or brief?

United States v. Kopordelis, 569 F. 3d 1291 (11th Cir. 2009) at 1309.

or

United States v. Kopordelis, 569 F. 3d at 1309 (11th Cir 2009).

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Bump...?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby Lincoln » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

I had to look up what ALWD was, so I obv can't help you. Does anyone actually use that thing?

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Lincoln wrote:I had to look up what ALWD was, so I obv can't help you. Does anyone actually use that thing?


We do, I'm afraid. It is the manual used by the Supreme Court of Nebraska. Any idea what the correct Bluebook cite would be? I don't have my ALWD manual with me.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby dixon02 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:13 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Which is the correct ALWD pinpoint citation for a case in a memo or brief?

United States v. Kopordelis, 569 F. 3d 1291 (11th Cir. 2009) at 1309.

or

United States v. Kopordelis, 569 F. 3d at 1309 (11th Cir 2009).


Correct Blubebook pincite:

Kopordelis 569 F.3d at 1309.

Correct full Bluebook cite:

United States v. Kopordelis, 569 F.3d 1291, 1309 (11th Cir. 2009).

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 pm

dixon02 wrote:
Correct Blubebook pincite:

Kopordelis 569 F.3d at 1309.


Nope.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby dixon02 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 pm

TTH wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
Correct Blubebook pincite:

Kopordelis 569 F.3d at 1309.


Nope.


Sorry, played loose with the terms. That's a short cite pin cite. Also, there should be a comma after the case name. I'm tired.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Quick Citation Question

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:16 am

dixon02 wrote:
TTH wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
Correct Blubebook pincite:

Kopordelis 569 F.3d at 1309.


Nope.


Sorry, played loose with the terms. That's a short cite pin cite. Also, there should be a comma after the case name. I'm tired.


Either way, it answered my question. I am as bad at citation form as I feared. Law review, looks like I'm not headed your way.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests