Targeting Firms Out of Region

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mce252

Targeting Firms Out of Region

Postby Mce252 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:12 pm

During OCI, if you're targeting firms that don't participate in your OCI, do you just mass mail packets like you would for 1L SA positions, but at the begining of August?

Geist13

Re: Targeting Firms Out of Region

Postby Geist13 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:14 pm

yes.

edit: when you speak of packets etc., I hope you mean attachments in an email. Don't mail that shit unless the firm specifically requests it or there is no information about who to email it to. Its much easier for the firm to deal with electronic copies (they can forward the stuff off to everyone without photocopying and organize everything electronically etc.).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 am

Do it in mid July bro. Don't wait until you leave for school. Also follow up.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:34 pm

hijacking

what do you send them? I assume a cover letter, resume, transcript, and writing sample.

references?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

dreakol wrote:hijacking

what do you send them? I assume a cover letter, resume, transcript, and writing sample.

references?

Skip the writing sample. Skip the references. If they want one or both, they'll ask for it later in the process.

Just send a few sentences in the body of the email introducing yourself and saying what you've attached (cover letter, resume, transcript) and leave it at that.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm

blurbz wrote:

references?

Skip the writing sample. Skip the references. If they want one or both, they'll ask for it later in the process.

Just send a few sentences in the body of the email introducing yourself and saying what you've attached (cover letter, resume, transcript) and leave it at that.

tyty

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:17 pm

blurbz wrote:

references?

TITCR.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I wouldn't send all your info in the first email, though. I would email the person first and ask if they are the correct person, if they accept out of state applications, when they best time to apply is, and what they would like to see in an application. They may direct you to a different person, or have some requirement that they like.

Plus, it's easier for a person to answer an email and then be expecting an application packet than it is to just get a bunch of pages in one email.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”