Brief in 48 hours.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Assuming this is kosher with your honor code or the nature of the assignment - most briefs are based on real conflicts currently pending before the Supreme Court, if you can find the case it is modeled after on westlaw, you should be able to pull up the party briefs and mine them for sources as a shortcut to researching all the issues.

This is against the honor code at most schools.


Good research is against the honor code?!?

truevines
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby truevines » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Assuming this is kosher with your honor code or the nature of the assignment - most briefs are based on real conflicts currently pending before the Supreme Court, if you can find the case it is modeled after on westlaw, you should be able to pull up the party briefs and mine them for sources as a shortcut to researching all the issues.

This is against the honor code at most schools.


Good research is against the honor code?!?


Yes. at least in my school, we can't pull briefs for similar cases from Westlaw or Lexis. You can't even do a google keyword search.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 am

truevines wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Assuming this is kosher with your honor code or the nature of the assignment - most briefs are based on real conflicts currently pending before the Supreme Court, if you can find the case it is modeled after on westlaw, you should be able to pull up the party briefs and mine them for sources as a shortcut to researching all the issues.

This is against the honor code at most schools.


Good research is against the honor code?!?


Yes. at least in my school, we can't pull briefs for similar cases from Westlaw or Lexis. You can't even do a google keyword search.


Punish people for using directly on point case law. HIGH FIVE!

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 am

Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby merc280 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 am

Cupidity wrote:Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!



well isn't that the whole point of the brief though, to use multiple sources and combine bits and pieces of them to join together and support your argument? our LRW class had a brief writer from the DA's office come and tell us that we're lawyers and not expected to come up with fresh material, just find material smart people have written.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 am

merc280 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!



well isn't that the whole point of the brief though, to use multiple sources and combine bits and pieces of them to join together and support your argument? our LRW class had a brief writer from the DA's office come and tell us that we're lawyers and not expected to come up with fresh material, just find material smart people have written.


You must have missed the sarcasm somewhere, we are mocking the fact that schools have honor codes that handicap legal research instead of promoting it.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby NYC Law » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am

Just finished a 48 hour brief, feels great. It's probably complete and utter crap, but that's a May problem.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby shepdawg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 am

OP, did you finish?

User avatar
NeighborGuy
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 am

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby NeighborGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:39 am

crossarmant wrote:How I imagine LRW grading goes:
--ImageRemoved--


:lol: That was the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in days. Thank you for that, sir.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby Villanova3 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 am

shepdawg wrote:OP, did you finish?



Almost finished. Need to do citation still. Have five hours left!

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby Villanova3 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 am

Finished! At 5:56 am, with two hours left to spare!

User avatar
stewie27
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Postby stewie27 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:34 am

NeighborGuy wrote:
crossarmant wrote:How I imagine LRW grading goes:
--ImageRemoved--


:lol: That was the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in days. Thank you for that, sir.

I agree. That was hilarious. And probably accurate.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], pandapops and 4 guests