anyone enjoying law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby alicrimson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 pm

I like it still. I think anything one does for "work" is going to be, well, work. Some things about school annoy me more than others but on the whole, its pretty enjoyable. Just not when I'm trying to write my brief draft for appellate advocacy...which, is currently looking like a steaming pile.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby sparty99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:11 pm

No. It sucks, damn. Con-Law is like a history lesson. Am I supposed to argue that Plessy v. Ferguson came out correctly on the final? Why are we studying this?

Writing course is like 8th grade. Why are you lecturing me on writing and why do we have a textbook?

Grades matter to get jobs. If you are not top 30%, then you are almost f*cked. Even if you have a full ride scholarship, cost of living is $60,000 +. Going to school for three years, doing b.s. and not having a job, SOUNDS LIKE A HORRIBLE IDEA. Why would anyone enjoy that path.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby MTal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:45 pm

sparty99 wrote: Going to school for three years, doing b.s. and not having a job, SOUNDS LIKE A HORRIBLE IDEA. Why would anyone enjoy that path.


How is it that the vast majority of people only realize at the most after their first year?

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby JoeFish » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 pm

thesealocust wrote:Also keep in mind that while some people do like law school, they are also the worst human beings on the planet.

Saying "I like law school" isn't like saying "I prefer red wine to white." It's closer to saying "I spend every day working on my violent kiddy-porn dungeon and plotting mean things to do do puppies."


I think I've said all three of those things...

Yeah, put me in the "I like law school" group. I really didn't like undergrad, so maybe it's just a comparison issue too. But, yeah, echoing everything that's been said: it's stressful, and a lot of the people are asshats. But I've made some damn good friends here too. There will be people like you, with similar interests, and if you're one of those people who says "I haven't connected to a single person in my class," my guess is that the problem's at least equally on your end.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Kiddie-porn dungeons and puppy abuse aside, I'm in the "really enjoy law school" camp, for two reasons:

1. I enjoy the material, the intellectual challenge of applying simple principles in complex fashions, and the friends I've made; and,

2. I wake up every morning, go to school, look around and think, "Wow! I'm not at work!"

Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Villanova3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I had a job for a couple of years before law school.

While law school is infinitely better than work, I hate law school and my grades are a glowing reflection of this so far.

If I didn't have a full-ride, I would probably drop out after this year is over.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby sparty99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Villanova3 wrote:I had a job for a couple of years before law school.

While law school is infinitely better than work, I hate law school and my grades are a glowing reflection of this so far.

If I didn't have a full-ride, I would probably drop out after this year is over.



+1

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Villanova3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:I had a job for a couple of years before law school.

While law school is infinitely better than work, I hate law school and my grades are a glowing reflection of this so far.

If I didn't have a full-ride, I would probably drop out after this year is over.



+1



You, too?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby sparty99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Villanova3 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:I had a job for a couple of years before law school.

While law school is infinitely better than work, I hate law school and my grades are a glowing reflection of this so far.

If I didn't have a full-ride, I would probably drop out after this year is over.



+1



You, too?


YES

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Villanova3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:I had a job for a couple of years before law school.

While law school is infinitely better than work, I hate law school and my grades are a glowing reflection of this so far.

If I didn't have a full-ride, I would probably drop out after this year is over.



+1



You, too?


YES



It's terrible. How do you deal with it? I just constantly procrastinate. I have a brief for legal writing due on Tues. and while I've done all the research, I've been having a staring contest with my computer all day instead of writing.

I have no stipulation, which makes it even worse.

How do you deal with your disdain for this work?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby sparty99 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

I do the same (procrastinate), but I'm starting to fall behind because of moot court tryouts, so all that reading will become motivation because I need to do well - median doesn't get jobs....

dhgrs
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby dhgrs » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I'd have to say that 200K+ of debt would probably spoil the fun for me too, but luckily our tuitions are incomparable to the ones that are paid in the US (I'm Dutch btw, not Scandinavian as someone wondered). Hopefully people won't get homicidal when they figure out that I study at their school without having to pay tuition. Then again, it's just an exchange program.
I go to NYU for a JD and really like it. And the LLMs — is that what you will be? — have a better time than the JD students.

People eat lunch together just to hang out. As far as I know, no one plots to do mean things to puppies or works in a kiddy-porn dungeon.
Good to hear that. I will just be an exchange student, I will not be graduating from either a JD or LLM program at NYU. However, I get to pick courses from both of these programs; all courses are eligible except for first-year courses.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.

This.

My "careers" before law school were landscaper and farm hand. While going home sweaty and tired is actually a *good* feeling, I think that people that truly hate school lived lives of extreme privelege. Reality is that you are likely to do work you won't enjoy around people that aren't your friends. Because its rare for someone to pay someone else to hang out w/ your friends and do what you want to do.

But then again, Im not and don't want to be on a journal. Maybe cite checking is the worst thing ever, I wouldn't know.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.


I miss working and actually getting paid. I also miss having a 9-5 and not thinking about (school)work on the evenings and weekends.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Villanova3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

cinephile wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.


I miss working and actually getting paid. I also miss having a 9-5 and not thinking about (school)work on the evenings and weekends.



I actually agree with you on this; 100%.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Villanova3 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.


I miss working and actually getting paid. I also miss having a 9-5 and not thinking about (school)work on the evenings and weekends.



I actually agree with you on this; 100%.

I miss it too, but school life does give you some flexibility on when to wake up and what you can do during the day.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:07 pm

a male human wrote:
Villanova3 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.


I miss working and actually getting paid. I also miss having a 9-5 and not thinking about (school)work on the evenings and weekends.



I actually agree with you on this; 100%.

I miss it too, but school life does give you some flexibility on when to wake up and what you can do during the day.


Not my schedule, unfortunately. Have class/internship every morning at 9am - 4pm. Then I guess I could skip studying in the evenings, but that doesn't seem prudent. Doesn't feel like the wake up at noon schedule of undergrad at all.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Villanova3 wrote:
cinephile wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.


I miss working and actually getting paid. I also miss having a 9-5 and not thinking about (school)work on the evenings and weekends.



I actually agree with you on this; 100%.


Curious to hear what kind of interesting 9-5 jobs one can land after law school...

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby reformed calvinist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Borhas wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Careers prior to law school can affect your perspective.

This.

My "careers" before law school were landscaper and farm hand. While going home sweaty and tired is actually a *good* feeling, I think that people that truly hate school lived lives of extreme privelege. Reality is that you are likely to do work you won't enjoy around people that aren't your friends. Because its rare for someone to pay someone else to hang out w/ your friends and do what you want to do.

But then again, Im not and don't want to be on a journal. Maybe cite checking is the worst thing ever, I wouldn't know.


Oh for sure. At the end of the day, what am I doing? Reading, going to class, and writing a 20 page paper (brief). At the end of this I'm going to miss the low responsibility and the stem cell feeling, but that's not sustainable and I know it.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Borhas wrote:While going home sweaty and tired is actually a *good* feeling, I think that people that truly hate school lived lives of extreme privelege.



I grew up poor. I ate a shitton of government cheese, detassled assloads of corn to make extra cash, and helped my dad do oil changes for people to make extra money when his job at bar didn't pay enough. I have never known this privilege, and I still thank law stupid is insanely stupid and a rest stop for egomaniacs.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby sparty99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:08 pm

I haven't decided which is worse, working or law school. I would probably say working, because you can't skip work (unless you want to waste a PTO day), you only get 2-4 weeks of vacation, you have to sit there for 8 - 12 hours staring at a computer screen.

Despite law school being a major drag, I did get a month off for winter break, will get spring break off, and will have a lil time in the summer after school and before school starts...

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Borhas wrote:While going home sweaty and tired is actually a *good* feeling, I think that people that truly hate school lived lives of extreme privelege.



I grew up poor. I ate a shitton of government cheese, detassled assloads of corn to make extra cash, and helped my dad do oil changes for people to make extra money when his job at bar didn't pay enough. I have never known this privilege, and I still thank law stupid is insanely stupid and a rest stop for egomaniacs.


So your issues about law school have more to do w/ your peers and not so much w/ your work and responsibilities?

I think classes are boring, and thinking like a lawyer doesn't require more than 1L, but the work itself is not THAT bad, i mean, detassling corn is pretty boring too

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Borhas wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Borhas wrote:While going home sweaty and tired is actually a *good* feeling, I think that people that truly hate school lived lives of extreme privelege.



I grew up poor. I ate a shitton of government cheese, detassled assloads of corn to make extra cash, and helped my dad do oil changes for people to make extra money when his job at bar didn't pay enough. I have never known this privilege, and I still thank law stupid is insanely stupid and a rest stop for egomaniacs.


So your issues about law school have more to do w/ your peers and not so much w/ your work and responsibilities?


Oh, absolutely. More than just peers, though. Some peers, faculty, and the general way things are done. None of the work is that stressful. So, your point is made.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby crossarmant » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53 pm

I actually really enjoy the work for each class, I find the exams to be a much more interesting way of testing that MC undergrad exams. I have fun doing this differentiating and analyzing with all of the cases. That said, I get terrible ADD with LRW assignments, I hate the middle-school-social-aspect, and I'm not particularly keen on my specific school. But, all in all, I actually really enjoy the work a lot more than I ever thought I would.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: anyone enjoying law school?

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:56 pm

I miss my old job. Once I was done, I was done for the day. At the same time there are parts of law school I like. But there are also parts I hate.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests