Extracurricular board positions important for a 2L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
teabreeze

Extracurricular board positions important for a 2L?

Postby teabreeze » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Just wondering what you guys think about the importance of extracurriculars in law school.

I'm currently a 1L board member for a student organization at my law school and am contemplating whether to continue it next year. This year, my position didn't take up much time, next year, it'll take up a huge chunk of my time.

If I don't continue with this student org, next year, I'm thinking of part-time clerking for a judge or working part-time at the AG's office.

Is it bad to have 0 e-board positions on your 2L resume? Will OCI interviewers look at it negatively?

Thanks!
Last edited by teabreeze on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Re: Extracurricular board positions important for a 2L?

Postby Ludo! » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Not important at all. Being in an organization helps in the sense that it gives you something to talk about during interviews, but that's about it. Be on the board if you want to but don't do it expecting any kind of boost.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Not important at all. Being in an organization helps in the sense that it gives you something to talk about during interviews, but that's about it. Be on the board if you want to but don't do it expecting any kind of boost.

This, minus the stricken. If I found myself talking about an extra curricrular during a screener, I'd consider myself in deep trouble. The only possible exception (though slight) are the orgs that do some kind of significant service component.

If it's a ___ Law Society, don't bother. It's just added, unnecessary work with no return.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I was in street law which a lot of interviewers hadn't heard of so I got asked about it. But yeah I agree if its just a club where you get free pizza and listen to a guest speaker you shouldnt be talking about it.

clslaw13

Postby clslaw13 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Only law review board positions matter.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:24 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

They don't matter at all.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I view them as filler for people who didn't make law review. Is that harsh? It sounds harsh.

teabreeze

Postby teabreeze » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think of extracurriculars as fillers for non-LR people. I'm sure it is for some, but for the most part, I think it's just about your interests and about networking. It's undoubtedly great to be on LR, but you don't need to be on LR to get a job.
Last edited by teabreeze on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:21 pm

I am on law review. Most of my friends do a ton of organizations, including the ones on law review. I've done basically nothing except a little pro-bono volunteering and a secondary journal as a 1L. Should that change?

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Being on an extracurricular board can give you good, extra access to speakers you're able to draw in.

E.g.,

ACS brought in a public class action attorney
FedSoc brought in a whole slew of great thinktank people
Real Estate brought in the mayor of St. Louis, the Cardinals GC, and real estate professionals

, and board members got some exclusive and additional access to those folks. I'm not sure it helps people get jobs, but it certainly can't hurt. If you know of groups that bring in heavy hitters and you're interested in them, go for it. It's not that much of a commitment, usually.

teabreeze wrote:I think it's just about your interests and about networking.

yep

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:01 am

For anything aside from networking, no.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 am

Perseus_I wrote:I am on law review. Most of my friends do a ton of organizations, including the ones on law review. I've done basically nothing except a little pro-bono volunteering and a secondary journal as a 1L. Should that change?

No (unless you want to get more involved because you are interested in doing so apart from any "boost").

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”