What is up with this semester?!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Top-Q

Re: What is up with this semester?!

Postby Top-Q » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm

keg411 wrote:
I had a short window to accept an offer to come back. They strongly implied that it was basically a permanent offer. I didn't want to take my chances at OCI. In hindsight, I made a mistake. But hindsight is always 20/20. On the other hand, some of the attorneys were great to work with. But I will most likely end up working with the unpleasant ones.

I worked before law school, and I want to give you some advice: don't go into your job like this. Seek out the attorneys that you liked working with last summer and make sure you get into their practice areas this summer. You know the firm from last summer, so stick with the people you like. Because if you go into your job thinking you're going to hate it, you will hate it and the attorneys will notice. This is your career -- find something fun about it since you chose to stay.

Worst case scenario, get your offer in hand and apply to firms as a 3L. If you have the grades, get LOR's together and start applying to clerkships (federal or state-level) as a way to get a different firm job/different legal job at somewhere you might be happier. The nice thing about clerkships is that you can still keep the offer from the firm and also look elsewhere when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice. I am currently looking into clerkships.

ap1987

Postby ap1987 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:55 pm

keg411 wrote:The rumors have always been that 2L is "work you to death" for a reason. I've been somewhat miserable this year, but I feel like my life direction is probably far improved by going to law school than not going.

To Top-Q: However, if you didn't like the attorneys at your 1L firm, why didn't you try to switch during OCI? Maybe you'd be happier if you knew you were going somewhere this summer that you were excited about. I know that thinking about this summer is definitely keeping me going right now.

Is 2L generally harder than 1L?

I've heard of that but why is it. You get to choose the courses you're interested in. What makes 2L so much more work?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

ap1987 wrote:
keg411 wrote:The rumors have always been that 2L is "work you to death" for a reason. I've been somewhat miserable this year, but I feel like my life direction is probably far improved by going to law school than not going.

To Top-Q: However, if you didn't like the attorneys at your 1L firm, why didn't you try to switch during OCI? Maybe you'd be happier if you knew you were going somewhere this summer that you were excited about. I know that thinking about this summer is definitely keeping me going right now.

Is 2L generally harder than 1L?

I've heard of that but why is it. You get to choose the courses you're interested in. What makes 2L so much more work?

I find that it is, but not everyone agrees with me and a lot of people think it's much easier. However, I have more classes, plus outside activities (journal, club boards); sometimes certain clinics can also take up a ton of time (although I'm not doing a clinic). Plus, sometimes you think a class is something you are interested in and then it sucks or is super hard and you're stuck.

The OCI/job process can also be extremely stressful (some people found it pretty easy. I personally didn't).

Miller32

Postby Miller32 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm

2L is what you make of it.

If you take a full load of classes, and do a journal, moot court, part-time work at a firm, externships/clinics, and/or other extracurricular stuff, you are going to be very busy. If you take 12 hours, and do none of the above, life is going to be good.

Most people at least do some of the above, and so 2L can get hectic. But, ultimately, it's your choice.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:What sucks about law school is how mundane, long, and pointless the entire experience is. I have learned almost nothing that will benefit me in practice, and I can't believe they make us do 3 years of this nonsense.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I caught my second wind and started gunning so hard. But I just turned in a shit brief and am winded once more.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Miller32 wrote:2L is what you make of it.

Yeeup. And 2L rocks because it means you are closer to 3L and about to GTFO lawl school!

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 pm

This inhuman place makes human monsters.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Good god man. No matter how productive I am in a given day, it is not enough. Just never enough. No matter how much I do, there never seems to be any end in sight to any of these outlines. What. The. Hell.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:Good god man. No matter how productive I am in a given day, it is not enough. Just never enough. No matter how much I do, there never seems to be any end in sight to any of these outlines. What. The. Hell.

+1

Cannot wait for teh semester to be over.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm really pushing procrastination to to its outer bounds this semester. Ah, well. Fri, sat, sun = all outlining, all day.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:This inhuman place makes human monsters.
Ain't that the truth.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”