2.5 Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

2.5 Question

Postby Villanova3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker; definitely helped my admissions cycle last year.

Anyway... I'm a 1L at Villanova in Pennsylvania and I didn't do too hot first semester, to the tune of a 2.5. The median is 3.0, so I'm trailing that pretty significantly.

What would your advice be? Should I drop out, or stick with it..?

I'm on a full-ride with no stipulations.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm

If a full ride with no stips, then stick it out if you really want to be a lawyer. You can raise your GPA if you rock the last two years.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Most of the time dropping out is the answer but if you're on a full ride with no stips I think you ask yourself whether you really wanna do this and if the answer is yes then stick it out. Keep in mind that the 2 1/2 years you spend in law school, although technically free, still loses you money (housing, food, etc. plus all the money you could make at a basic 35k job over those years).

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Villanova3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Most of the time dropping out is the answer but if you're on a full ride with no stips I think you ask yourself whether you really wanna do this and if the answer is yes then stick it out. Keep in mind that the 2 1/2 years you spend in law school, although technically free, still loses you money (housing, food, etc. plus all the money you could make at a basic 35k job over those years).



Yea, I'm aware of this. Thanks for your input.. both of you.

I worked for 3 years before LS (~$50k/yr, so I'm losing a significant amount at this point -- haha). This is what I want to do. I had the foresight to get ~$10k living expenses per year from them, too. While I realize it's not what I was making, I still have 5 semesters to get the GPA up, so, we'll see...

Thanks!

Brassica7
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Brassica7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Could you get that job back now if you wanted? Also, could you get that job, or one like it, if you finish law school but do not find a legal job three years from now? If you can go back to your old career now, but could not in three years, then I would drop out. If you think that window would still be open to your in three years, or it is already closed even if you dropped out now, then consider how much you want to be an attorney. Keep in mind that at this point, you would be lucky to get a job as a lawyer making 50k, but maybe smaller firms will not care as much about grades.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 am

Villanova3 wrote:Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker; definitely helped my admissions cycle last year.

Anyway... I'm a 1L at Villanova in Pennsylvania and I didn't do too hot first semester, to the tune of a 2.5. The median is 3.0, so I'm trailing that pretty significantly.

What would your advice be? Should I drop out, or stick with it..?

I'm on a full-ride with no stipulations.


Do not drop out. Get the degree and do what you can with it; whether that be take the bar, that's up to you.

If worst comes to worse, maybe you can get your old job back. You will have only used 3 years of your life up, but you will become a smarter/law knowing person in the end. Seems like a win situation with all things considered.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

Brassica7 wrote:Could you get that job back now if you wanted? Also, could you get that job, or one like it, if you finish law school but do not find a legal job three years from now? If you can go back to your old career now, but could not in three years, then I would drop out. If you think that window would still be open to your in three years, or it is already closed even if you dropped out now, then consider how much you want to be an attorney. Keep in mind that at this point, you would be lucky to get a job as a lawyer making 50k, but maybe smaller firms will not care as much about grades.


I know plenty of attorneys that have crappy GPAs/ at the median. Even recently hired attorneys. Doesn't mean shit, but ive seen it.

OP, if you decide you want to drop out, make sure you have the job first; something to know, if you didnt. Heh, some people forget, you know?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby shock259 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 am

You are using a few years of salary, but that's not the end of the world. I'd probably stay in, but figure out what happened with your grades, raise your GPA, and network/hustle like hell for a job. Any job.

If you can't/don't want to do that, just drop out.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Villanova3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 am

I want to be a lawyer. I'm gonna stick it out. I'm working harder this semester to figure out what I dropped the ball on, etc.

Thanks for the advice!

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 am

Villanova3 wrote:I want to be a lawyer. I'm gonna stick it out. I'm working harder this semester to figure out what I dropped the ball on, etc.

Thanks for the advice!


In your situation, it sounds like a great decision. You will kick yourself forever if you give up on this, especially with this next semester and the chance to change your gpa for 2L ocis. On top of a full ride stip free at a good school. Good luck!

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby glitter178 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am

i would look into every single exam-related program and do some self-reflection. did you study too hard and burn out? study not enough? if it was the latter, that's easy enough. try harder. if it's the first, focus more on exams than the day-to-day coursework. Obviously you did something right to get a full ride plus stipend to a top 20. figure out how to do as well on exams. I'd say try LEEWS (there's still time) and read GTM if you have time.

Villanova3
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby Villanova3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks for the advice.

It was definitely "not trying hard enough..." I kind of treated it like undergrad. I mean, there were exam-analysis issues, but I'm working them out in study groups, etc.

Thanks again!

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2.5 Question

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I was kind of in the opposite situation. Got a 2.967 (should have been a 3 but for the weird system where it's 3.3 and 2.7, not 3.33 and 2.67) first semester, then bombed second semester for some reason even though I tried harder and asked a prof how to raise my B+ to an A. 1L GPA was 2.6. You and I will need to use unconventional ways to get jobs (had a few interviews so far with my unlisted GPA, turned down one offer).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests