How would you argue against lowered grade?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
spleenworship

Re: How would you argue against lowered grade?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:12 am

Younger Abstention wrote:You could threaten to report it to Above The Law...

situations like this are why, my friends, you shouldn't attend really shitty law schools.

Not a shitty law school. Ain't Harvard, but it ain't shitty per se. Miles above, for instance, Florida coastal or Cooley.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 am

spleenworship wrote:Not a shitty law school. Ain't Harvard, but it ain't shitty per se. Miles above, for instance, Florida coastal or Cooley.

Miles above FC or Cooley is like saying you're dining on Hotdogs instead of spam.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 am

Renne Walker wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Not a shitty law school. Ain't Harvard, but it ain't shitty per se. Miles above, for instance, Florida coastal or Cooley.

Miles above FC or Cooley is like saying you're dining on Hotdogs instead of spam.

Call my school the expensive ramen you get at the Asian supermarket of law schools.

Srsly though, T2 strong regional.

rma

Postby rma » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:

Call my school the expensive ramen you get at the Asian supermarket of law schools.

Srsly though, T2 strong regional.

Can you PM me the school?

I'm considering a few T2s and I want to make sure yours isn't on my list...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:You got really screwed here. If this was me I would argue this out till the school was forced to change the grade back or face some serious ATL/ABA ridicule on top of possible litigation. Bluffing that you want your tuition back because you only paid it based on what they represented your grades were to you and basically all firms you applied to with those grades will look pretty badly on a "Oh, sorry, I actually have a whole letter grade lower there. Oh, and did I say I am top ___%? I meant it was about 8-10% lower." Your scholarship retention chances were misrepresented at the time you paid for second semester tuition. Your job chances were misrepresented. Your journal chances were misrepresented. Your transfer chances were misrepresented. Basically you paid second semester tuition based on a certain picture the school gave you of your success, then they changed it, so you should be able to change your actions of paying accordingly.

A dean won't want to lose x amount of dollars in exchange for some grade they really don't care about. Just my .02.

This is how I feel too. The hassle and bad PR this will cause the school is not worth it to them. I am shocked at this BS.

Let us know how it goes.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:30 am

spleenworship wrote:Thanks guys, but I am aware of promissory estoppel: my only good grade last semester was in Ks. :)

During negotiations I mentioned this concept, as well as reliance. They seemed receptive. It appears they will not change my grade... The calculation error was severe and not the only one- if they leave them intact the whole curve would be off. However they have agreed to look at the scholly stips, and obtain an externship or internship for me if I cannot obtain one for myself for this summer.

So it ain't great, but it ain't awful. And since looking at my exam, it appears I deserve the lower grade.

A sincere thank you to anyone who posted sincerely in the thread.

I think it'll be ok. We'll find out in a few days. But if I can keep my scholly, I think it'll be worth it to stay.

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:You got really screwed here. If this was me I would argue this out till the school was forced to change the grade back or face some serious ATL/ABA ridicule on top of possible litigation. Bluffing that you want your tuition back because you only paid it based on what they represented your grades were to you and basically all firms you applied to with those grades will look pretty badly on a "Oh, sorry, I actually have a whole letter grade lower there. Oh, and did I say I am top ___%? I meant it was about 8-10% lower." Your scholarship retention chances were misrepresented at the time you paid for second semester tuition. Your job chances were misrepresented. Your journal chances were misrepresented. Your transfer chances were misrepresented. Basically you paid second semester tuition based on a certain picture the school gave you of your success, then they changed it, so you should be able to change your actions of paying accordingly.

A dean won't want to lose x amount of dollars in exchange for some grade they really don't care about. Just my .02.

This is how I feel too. The hassle and bad PR this will cause the school is not worth it to them. I am shocked at this BS.

Let us know how it goes.

Scholly kept. Grade lowered. Internship appears to be happening. Not worth it to me, personally, to contact ATL/NYT, etc.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 am

spleenworship wrote:Scholly kept. Grade lowered.

This is truly awful. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 am

spleenworship wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Thanks guys, but I am aware of promissory estoppel: my only good grade last semester was in Ks. :)

During negotiations I mentioned this concept, as well as reliance. They seemed receptive. It appears they will not change my grade... The calculation error was severe and not the only one- if they leave them intact the whole curve would be off. However they have agreed to look at the scholly stips, and obtain an externship or internship for me if I cannot obtain one for myself for this summer.

So it ain't great, but it ain't awful. And since looking at my exam, it appears I deserve the lower grade.

I think it'll be ok. We'll find out in a few days. But if I can keep my scholly, I think it'll be worth it to stay.

romothesavior wrote:

Let us know how it goes.

Scholly kept. Grade lowered. Internship appears to be happening. Not worth it to me, personally, to contact ATL/NYT, etc.

Why? You can do it anonymously. If you want to PM me I'll email them. out this fucking TTT!

omninode

Postby omninode » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

romothesavior wrote:

Let us know how it goes.

Why? You can do it anonymously. If you want to PM me I'll email them. out this fucking TTT!

They deserve it, for sure. And maybe some bad press would convince other schools not to do the same. Lemons --> lemonade.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 am

omninode wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

They deserve it, for sure. And maybe some bad press would convince other schools not to do the same. Lemons --> lemonade.

If I outed them, it would out me. If it outed me I might lose what I have already negotiated for. Hence " not worth it to me personally". Also, realistically social ramifications from peers. Sorry guys.

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:
omninode wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

If I outed them, it would out me. If it outed me I might lose what I have already negotiated for. Hence " not worth it to me personally". Also, realistically social ramifications from peers. Sorry guys.

Pussy.

Edit: just kidding. That was rude. Sorry

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Equitable estoppel.

8)

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:46 pm

You said there were other people at your school in the same situation, would it not just out you as a group but not out you as an individual?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:You said there were other people at your school in the same situation, would it not just out you as a group but not out you as an individual?

The others arent talking much about it. I cannot convince most of them to even fight it within the administration. And since we are still talkin 5% of the class they would be able to punish at least some of us... You seen Band of Brothers where the sergeants complain and not only are a bunch of them demoted but one is sent to a new unit? I think it would be like that.

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't see how they could justify punishing you for telling the truth about a mistake they made.

buns

Postby buns » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Yikes, I am surprised one of you or your colleagues haven't gone to ATL with this yet. What a despicable situation -- I'm so sorry that happened to you.

opX

Postby opX » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 pm

conspiracy theorist here:

find out how many other people this has happened to.

there are a lot of techniques schools use to break scholarships, imo. this is likely one of them.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:48 pm

spleenworship wrote:Scholly kept. Grade lowered. Internship appears to be happening. Not worth it to me, personally, to contact ATL/NYT, etc.

I hate to say it, but this is probably a good outcome: had the grading been done right the first time, you would have lost the scholly, had the same low grade, and might not have had the internship.

Assuming you actually wanted to stay in law school and didn't want to drop out, you're actually better off
(if you're serious that you would have dropped out otherwise, well, then you did get screwed, sorry)

not that it makes the experience any less unpleasant

edit: sorry, didn't notice this section was for current students only. I clicked by accident. Please dont hate me for itbut for anything else, that's ok

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 pm

dingbat wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Scholly kept. Grade lowered. Internship appears to be happening. Not worth it to me, personally, to contact ATL/NYT, etc.

I hate to say it, but this is probably a good outcome: had the grading been done right the first time, you would have lost the scholly, had the same low grade, and might not have had the internship.

Assuming you actually wanted to stay in law school and didn't want to drop out, you're actually better off
(if you're serious that you would have dropped out otherwise, well, then you did get screwed, sorry)

edit: sorry, didn't notice this section was for current students only. I clicked by accident. Please dont hate me for itbut for anything else, that's ok

I agree, though I am attempting one last appeal.

JR1988

Postby JR1988 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 am

dingbat wrote:

WTF GTFO 0L

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”