What is the most famous 1L case? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What is the most famous 1L case?

Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad
32%
Hawkins v. McGee (Hairy Hand)
8%
Pennoyer v. Neff
14%
Marbury v. Madison (for those that are forced to take Con law)
19%
Pierson v. Post
8%
Erie Railroad v. Tompkins
15%
Regina v. Dudley and Stephens
4%

Total votes: 269

LawMan20

New

Re: What is the most famous 1L case?

Post by LawMan20 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Are you guys suggesting that your lol schools are better than mine because mine hasn't been teaching 'famous' cases?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:14 pm

1) Palsgraf
2) Pennoyer
3) Erie

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:51 pm

LawMan20 wrote:Are you guys suggesting that your lol schools are better than mine because mine hasn't been teaching 'famous' cases?
It is nearly impossible to have an understanding of Torts (specifically proximate cause) without reading Palsgraf. It is impossible to understand choice of law in federal courts without reading Erie. Pennoyer is no longer really applicable, but it is a pretty helpful building block to understanding personal jurisdiction, and I'd guess that nearly every Civil Procedure class in the country starts out with it in PJX. Pierson v. Post is a classic that I'd imagine 95%+ of law students learn, and Hawkins and Dudley are both relatively well-known and are almost always read in first-year classes.

I can maybe understand not reading Pierson, Dudley, and Hawkins, but to have never heard of Palsgraf, Erie, or Pennoyer means you you don't pay much attention, your law school is not in the United States, or you are full of crap about not reading any of these cases.

LawMan20

New

Post by LawMan20 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LawMan20 wrote:Are you guys suggesting that your lol schools are better than mine because mine hasn't been teaching 'famous' cases?
It is nearly impossible to have an understanding of Torts (specifically proximate cause) without reading Palsgraf. It is impossible to understand choice of law in federal courts without reading Erie. Pennoyer is no longer really applicable, but it is a pretty helpful building block to understanding personal jurisdiction, and I'd guess that nearly every Civil Procedure class in the country starts out with it in PJX. Pierson v. Post is a classic that I'd imagine 95%+ of law students learn, and Hawkins and Dudley are both relatively well-known and are almost always read in first-year classes.

I can maybe understand not reading Pierson, Dudley, and Hawkins, but to have never heard of Palsgraf, Erie, or Pennoyer means you you don't pay much attention, your law school is not in the United States, or you are full of crap about not reading any of these cases.
Not sure what to tell you, and I don't want to potentially out myself by saying what classes I took last semester and what I'm taking this semester. But, at this point in my 1L year, the only case I've read/heard of from that list is Marbury v. Madison.

red_owl

New

Post by red_owl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Marbury

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
It is nearly impossible to have an understanding of Torts (specifically proximate cause) without reading Palsgraf.
That is just wrong. Palsgraf is a concept development case, but the most of the law discussed in it is totally inapplicable to modern tort law (remember that in the end it's a directness test decision). I could see a professor who has no interest in the history of tort law skipping Palsgraf and replacing it with one of the more modern discussions of the proximate cause standard.

I'd say it's a toss up between Dudley and Hawkins, only because they have memorable facts.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:It is impossible to understand choice of law in federal courts without reading Erie.
In fairness, some civpro classes just don't cover Eerie. My civpro prof had this existential crisis about whether to cover the case (which apparently involved a listserv of civpro profs who were facing a similar dilemma), and finally decided to cover it, but only spend one class on it. On the other hand, I've heard horror stories from other civpro classes that spend a considerable chunk of the semester on Eerie and its progeny.

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

beachbum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:It is impossible to understand choice of law in federal courts without reading Erie.
In fairness, some civpro classes just don't cover Eerie. My civpro prof had this existential crisis about whether to cover the case (which apparently involved a listserv of civpro profs who were facing a similar dilemma), and finally decided to cover it, but only spend one class on it. On the other hand, I've heard horror stories from other civpro classes that spend a considerable chunk of the semester on Eerie and its progeny.
Erie --> :|

Hannah/Byrd --> :x

Gasperini --> :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm

beachbum wrote:
Yeah I know it isn't covered in all classes. But of the trifecta I listed (Palsgraf, Erie, Pennoyer), it would be pretty hard to avoid all three in LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Pennoyer because nobody forgets that shit exists if you're forced to read it. It's also still good law in part, so it's not like it stands for nothing.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:33 pm

If I was a hiring partner I would no offer the fuck out of someone for not knowing Pierson v. Post with its chasing foxes and the mocking dissent. If some young buck managed to drop "Well maybe if I had just had X of imperial stature..." he would have a job in a second. It is also still good law and came up in that migratory bird case.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

AreJay711 wrote:If I was a hiring partner I would no offer the fuck out of someone for not knowing Pierson v. Post with its chasing foxes and the mocking dissent. If some young buck managed to drop "Well maybe if I had just had X of imperial stature..." he would have a job in a second. It is also still good law and came up in that migratory bird case.
It really depends on how much class time was given to the case though. Pierson v. Post is understandable in, like, a five minute discussion. I just remember it as one of many equally absurd cases in a slew that show there are ridiculous policy reasons underlying lots of property law. "Oh, that's the one case where they tried to encourage killing foxes, right."

LawMan20

New

Post by LawMan20 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 pm

AreJay711 wrote:If I was a hiring partner I would no offer the fuck out of someone for not knowing Pierson v. Post with its chasing foxes and the mocking dissent. If some young buck managed to drop "Well maybe if I had just had X of imperial stature..." he would have a job in a second. It is also still good law and came up in that migratory bird case.
I have a couple interviews next week, so I guess I'll have to read/brief all of these over the weekend :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Erie --> :|

Hannah/Byrd --> :x

Gasperini --> :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
fuck ginsberg for gasperini

ceereeus420

New

Post by ceereeus420 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Leonard v. Pepsi Co.
Twombly/Iqbal

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 am

Maybe not the most famous, but certainly the most badass is Pennzoil v. Texaco.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 am

I don't think a single case has made me crack up inside a library as loud as UNITED NOVELTY CO., Inc. v. DANIELS et al..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 am

Ikki wrote:I don't think a single case has made me crack up inside a library as loud as UNITED NOVELTY CO., Inc. v. DANIELS et al..
This case is pretty absurd. Almost as absurd as Palsgraf 2.0.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 am

So Palsgraf is the clear winner then.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 am

Tanicius wrote:
It really depends on how much class time was given to the case though. Pierson v. Post is understandable in, like, a five minute discussion. I just remember it as one of many equally absurd cases in a slew that show there are ridiculous policy reasons underlying lots of property law. "Oh, that's the one case where they tried to encourage killing foxes, right."
Maybe. I think all property cases of creating ownership rights are about maximizing the take / production / furnishing of the market though.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:41 am

quiver wrote:If you interpret the question as "what is the most famous case for 1Ls" I think it comes down to Erie and Palsgraf. We had endless discussion on both and I heard about both of them during 1L long before actually getting to them. I voted Erie; I think it's the only case in any of my outlines that has an entire section on it (although Chevron is close in Admin).

If you interpret the question as "what is the case read in 1L but most famous universally" I think it's obviously Marbury.
TCR.

If you asked most lawyers, "what case do you associate most with 1L?" I imagine most would say Erie, Palsgraf, or Pennoyer.

But if you gave the American public a list of all cases that are generally read during 1L and asked which one is the most well known, the most common answer would undoubtedly be a Con Law case -- probably either Marbury v. Madison, Brown v. Board, or Roe v. Wade (if you included the latter two).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 am

romothesavior wrote:

I got above median in Torts and I don't even remember what Palsgraf is.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 am

Con Law: You might want to list I would also look at Dred Scott v. Sanford. Agreed strongly with listing of Madison v. Marbury.

Civ Pro: I would add Dennis Prince et al. v. The Pittston Company, also known as the case that arose out of The Buffalo Creek Disaster.

Others include both Brown v. Board cases, which you cannot study effectively without studying Plessy v. Ferguson, the Grad School Cases (such as Murray v. Maryland, 1936), et. al.

Plessy isn't highlighted as much, but no one can fully understand the Brown cases without studying it, as well as Charles Hamilton Houston's methodical efforts at chipping away at the doctrine of "separate but equal" via grad school cases.

Plessy was the left jab that set up the knockout punch that was Brown.
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 am

US v. X-Citement Video
Keeton v. Hustler Magazine, Inc.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

L’Étranger wrote:US v. X-Citement Video
Keeton v. Hustler Magazine, Inc.
Don't care about your poast that much, but strong tar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”