Intro to con blah

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
portaprokoss

Intro to con blah

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Chemerinsky is great. But only 1/3 of the things my prof emphasizes are in Chemerinsky.

1) What should I try next?
2) What's best for "exam" prep? I like Chem for substantive law, but where can I learn to write a good con law essay?

Vronsky

Re: Intro to con blah

Postby Vronsky » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:36 pm

This is relevant to me as well. I feel like I read and understand the cases and context from Chem., but then I'm not really able to follow class discussion. Half the time it seems like we're talking about legal or literary theory. The whole thing just seems different from every other 1L course I took. Is this something that will fall away on the exam if I understand the case law and doctrine from Chem., or do I need to figure out how to get my head into class discussion?

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Vronsky wrote:This is relevant to me as well. I feel like I read and understand the cases and context from Chem., but then I'm not really able to follow class discussion. Half the time it seems like we're talking about legal or literary theory. The whole thing just seems different from every other 1L course I took. Is this something that will fall away on the exam if I understand the case law and doctrine from Chem., or do I need to figure out how to get my head into class discussion?

I feel for you. My class is a wreck. We're dealing with separation of power stuff. I have no idea how I'm going to turn the rambling discussion into a useful outline. Or how to apply these disparate, historical tidbits methodically on an exam.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:35 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
Vronsky wrote:This is relevant to me as well. I feel like I read and understand the cases and context from Chem., but then I'm not really able to follow class discussion. Half the time it seems like we're talking about legal or literary theory. The whole thing just seems different from every other 1L course I took. Is this something that will fall away on the exam if I understand the case law and doctrine from Chem., or do I need to figure out how to get my head into class discussion?

I feel for you. My class is a wreck. We're dealing with separation of power stuff. I have no idea how I'm going to turn the rambling discussion into a useful outline. Or how to apply these disparate, historical tidbits methodically on an exam.

My class is exactly like this. Not my cup of tea.

However, the professor on occasion gives us practice problems, and it's funny to see that I don't need to listen to the mumbo-jumbo discussion going on in class to do well. The professor will take an article from the news, then asks us to apply IRAC format. For example, we got an article about a guy who burned garbage and received a fine pursuant to some environmental act passed by Congress. We had to argue whether or not Congress had the authority to pass the act in the first place based on the bajillion Commerce Clause cases we had read.

I think making sure you understand the analysis of the cases and the rules is really all you need to know, with a sprinkling of policy discussion and a dash of interpretation theory and what have you.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm very partial to the "Inside xxx Law: What Matters and Why" series. They have one for Con Law, you can pick it up for about $15 on Amazon.

It's a pretty good exam prep too, as it gives you all the concepts and ties them all together.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”