Dumb question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Dumb question

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am

Do state trial court judges take interns? What about state prosecutor?

Really really dumb questions, I know. I haven't looked for an internship and know zilch about it (I will be interning with family law firm).

spleenworship

Re: Dumb question

Postby spleenworship » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:14 am

Extension_Cord wrote:Do state trial court judges take interns? What about state prosecutor?

Really really dumb questions, I know. I haven't looked for an internship and know zilch about it (I will be interning with family law firm).

Yes and yes

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:32 am

Yes, they do. I worked for a state court judge my 1L summer. It was awesome, and state court is a lot more...relaxed, shall we say, than federal court.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes, they do. I worked for a state court judge my 1L summer. It was awesome, and state court is a lot more...relaxed, shall we say, than federal court.

"Relaxed" means "the law is what the judge says the law is." It also means, "I make shit up because I'm so busy and I wear a robe at work."

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 pm

My friend worked for a state judge who basically just told her to do whatever she wants and he will sign off on whatever letter of rec she wants and will sign off on however many hours she says she worked there for credit. He also basically told her she could rule on these cases cause he didn't wanna deal with them and would ask her after each trial how he should rule. Apparently it was quite an experience. So yeah, some state judges are pretty relaxed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”