How important is Law Review? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dazzleberry

New

Re: How important is Law Review?

Post by dazzleberry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Reprisal wrote:If you write on to a journal, instead of grading on, mention that! Don't your entire callback hopes on that tidbit, but if asked, be proud that you wrote, not walked, onto a journal.
Neat observation. Where would you mention the "write on" bit. Would it be off-putting to mention "wrote on" parenthetically after the name of the journal in the activities section of a resume?

Miller32

Bronze

Post by Miller32 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 pm

dazzleberry wrote:
Reprisal wrote:If you write on to a journal, instead of grading on, mention that! Don't your entire callback hopes on that tidbit, but if asked, be proud that you wrote, not walked, onto a journal.
Neat observation. Where would you mention the "write on" bit. Would it be off-putting to mention "wrote on" parenthetically after the name of the journal in the activities section of a resume?
I wouldn't put this on your resume. Most of the time it'll be clear based on your GPA and the fact that you made LR. If it's not clear, and you feel like mentioning it, then do so in an interview.

Personally I don't think the fact that someone writes on means much, though.

target

Silver

Post by target » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:29 pm

dazzleberry wrote:
Kinda agree to the quote. I mean successful write on to LR does mean much other than you are a strong writer and editor regardless of what your grades are, but it is still an accomplishment. Grades can be arbitrarily awarded in many classes that one bad grade or one good grade does mean you are a good lawyer. However, strong writing and editing skills are necessary skills of a good lawyer.

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Miller32 wrote:LR just signals that you had a successful law school career. After practicing for a number of years, it's unlikely you'll send out your transcript to employers if trying to lateral firms, move in-house, do government work, etc. Instead, it'll be things like LR and Latin honors that act as indicators. It might be stupid that people place importance on it, but that's the way it is.

In my view, there is no good reason to decline LR. Just coast by and have it as a resume bullet.
Even for people looking to do public interest work?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 am

deebs wrote:Outside of the note, the workload is virtually nothing, unless you count 12 hours a semester (1 check/1 pull per) a lot of work. I guess if using westlaw next is complicated or the dewey decimal system doesn't make sense, then checks and pulls could take a while.
I've heard this said before, i.e., that law review is just a "check and a pull" for "12 hours a semester." To the best of my knowledge, this is not even remotely true at flagship law reviews that publish eight issues a year. At Michigan, law review involves one cite checking, source gathering, or incorping assignment per week for three semesters (both 2L and first 3L). One such assignment takes four to twelve hours. There's also a one week orientation right after OCI and grading responsibilities over 2L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Bronte wrote:
deebs wrote:Outside of the note, the workload is virtually nothing, unless you count 12 hours a semester (1 check/1 pull per) a lot of work. I guess if using westlaw next is complicated or the dewey decimal system doesn't make sense, then checks and pulls could take a while.
I've heard this said before, i.e., that law review is just a "check and a pull" for "12 hours a semester." To the best of my knowledge, this is not even remotely true at flagship law reviews that publish eight issues a year. At Michigan, law review involves one cite checking, source gathering, or incorping assignment per week for three semesters (both 2L and first 3L). One such assignment takes four to twelve hours. There's also a one week orientation right after OCI and grading responsibilities over 2L summer.
Yea, I think Michigan is more emblematic of the norm. At UT, we're required to do 120 hours a year, 1 week of office duty during winter break, 1 day of office duty per week during the semester, plus orientation.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:16 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Yea, I think Michigan is more emblematic of the norm. At UT, we're required to do 120 hours a year, 1 week of office duty during winter break, 1 day of office duty per week during the semester, plus orientation.
I think we do at least twice that many hours just in a semester :shock:.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:22 pm

ph14 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Yea, I think Michigan is more emblematic of the norm. At UT, we're required to do 120 hours a year, 1 week of office duty during winter break, 1 day of office duty per week during the semester, plus orientation.
In any event, I think it's safe to say that if you're at a school with a major law review, you cannot expect to do a total of twelve hours a semester in addition to your note. You're probably looking at a minimum of an extra four hours a week.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm

ph14 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Bronte wrote:
jesus you guys do 480 hours a year? how is that possible?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Probably more if you count misc. tasks and summer work as well. I thought that was the norm everywhere.

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm

ph14 wrote:Probably more if you count misc. tasks and summer work as well. I thought that was the norm everywhere.
Definitely not at my school. We are required to do 160 per year, but many 3Ls say it's more like 200. No where near the Harvard's 480.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”