Study Abroad in China (PKU)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
aliceydu

Study Abroad in China (PKU)

Postby aliceydu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

I got into Hastings, and if I decide to go (which is very likely), I want to apply to study abroad at the Peking University in China. For some odd reason, PKU requires the applicant to be under the age of 40 and NOT someone of Chinese nationality.

I actually remember this same "requirement" a couple of years ago when I was looking at undergraduate exchange programs. Well, this is a problem because... I'm Chinese. My family moved to the United States in 2000, so I have a U.S. green card, but I don't think that's good enough for them.

I understand that PKU wants diversity, but practically speaking, students like me (who speak Chinese and understand Chinese culture and customs) are more likely to put this experience to use and actually pursue a Chinese-United States legal career. I could renounce my Chinese citizenship and become an American, but I didn't want to do that for sentimental reasons. It's so ironic and hurtful to think that in order for me to go back to China to study, I would have to go as an non-Chinese.

Does anyone else know anything about this? Is this really the requirement? Would they make an exception if they knew my background?

What would you do if you were me?

sundance95

Re: Study Abroad in China (PKU)

Postby sundance95 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 am

aliceydu wrote:Image

aliceydu

Re: Study Abroad in China (PKU)

Postby aliceydu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:18 am

sundance95 wrote:
aliceydu wrote:Image