Stone Scholar at Columbia

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jawsthegreat

Stone Scholar at Columbia

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 pm

What grades does one have to make to get this? Just curious.

redsoxfan2495

Re: Stone Scholar at Columbia

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am

jawsthegreat wrote:What grades does one have to make to get this? Just curious.
From law.columbia.edu:

A student shall be named a Stone scholar if during an academic year the student has earned at least 15 graded law credits toward his or her degree, the student has received no grade lower than B-, and the student's academic average for the year is at or above 3.410. Only law credits are used to calculate honors. No one will receive honors for a year which includes a grade of "Incomplete."

I think it's roughly top third.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:00 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:What grades does one have to make to get this? Just curious.
From law.columbia.edu:

A student shall be named a Stone scholar if during an academic year the student has earned at least 15 graded law credits toward his or her degree, the student has received no grade lower than B-, and the student's academic average for the year is at or above 3.410. Only law credits are used to calculate honors. No one will receive honors for a year which includes a grade of "Incomplete."

I think it's roughly top third.

You only have to do it for one year? I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the class was Stone-worthy.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:You only have to do it for one year? I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the class was Stone-worthy.
I'm pretty sure you can be a Stone scholar for any or all of your three years. Keep in mind that it's probably most helpful to get it in the first year.

clslaw13

Postby clslaw13 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:You only have to do it for one year? I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the class was Stone-worthy.
I'm pretty sure you can be a Stone scholar for any or all of your three years. Keep in mind that it's probably most helpful to get it in the first year.

ONLY helpful in first year (for employment prospects). I know ppl who got Stone in upper years still job-hunting - all because they had crappy 1L grades.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

clslaw13 wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:

ONLY helpful in first year (for employment biglaw prospects). I know ppl who got Stone in upper years still job-hunting - all because they had crappy 1L grades.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Just to clarify, for all honors designations at CLS, it's done by year, right? Not cumulative? So you could theoretically be below median in 1L and Kent for 2L?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”