Going through a breakup and still doing well this semester. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ryno8cubs5

New

Re: Going through a breakup and still doing well this semester.

Post by ryno8cubs5 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I have not done anything all week school wise. I did buy a new car yesterday, and that made me feel a million times better. I'm hoping to use this feeling better to get a lot of work done today.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm

beachbum wrote:School comes first; you only get one shot at what is probably the most important year of your academic career, so make it count. Everything else is secondary, and (in the long run) probably won't have the significance of your 1L year.
this is why i hate law students

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Instead of buying the car you should have gone to a seedy massage parlor. That would have made you feel better and cost a lot less. Buck up. I'd recommend returning the car and getting the massage.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:Instead of buying the car you should have gone to a seedy massage parlor. That would have made you feel better and cost a lot less. Buck up. I'd recommend returning the car and getting the massage.
Small timer.

OP: Keep the car. Drive around campus. Find extremely attractive girl. Flirt. Take home. Have sex.

You'll feel better. I promise.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm

td6624 wrote:
beachbum wrote:School comes first; you only get one shot at what is probably the most important year of your academic career, so make it count. Everything else is secondary, and (in the long run) probably won't have the significance of your 1L year.
Douchey comment, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm

beachbum wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Douchey comment, bro.
..ok? just saying that i (generally speaking.. obviously there are exceptions) hate law students and your post epitomizes some of the reasons why. we're on a forum full of law students so you should be ok.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:07 pm

td6624 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Douchey comment, bro.
..ok? just saying that i (generally speaking.. obviously there are exceptions) hate law students and your post epitomizes some of the reasons why. we're on a forum full of law students so you should be ok.
Super. So what was your goal in posting? And what would you rather me tell OP? You've certainly managed to portray a pretty solid caricature of the overly-critical, arrogant law student, if that was the ironic, meta-twist you were shooting for.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:10 pm

beachbum wrote:
Super. So what was your goal in posting? And what would you rather me tell OP? You've certainly managed to portray a pretty solid caricature of the overly-critical, arrogant law student, if that was the ironic, meta-twist you were shooting for.
my goal was to make it known that your post made me think of why i hate law students.

and i think i met it

so

ok. no need to get all defensive.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

from what i've heard...

the internet is SRS FUCKING BSNS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jess

Post by jess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crit_racer wrote:DF, I'm sure you were kidding, but you shouldn't use the word "slut" even if it is in a joking manner. That's like using the N word as a joke...it doesn't really make it any less offensive.
I'm sure the slut race won't mind.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm all about the three-month-solid-post-breakup-rage-workout plan. Use the time you would have spent Skyping/arguing/sexing/watching TV together to get swole instead.

Like others mentioned above, throw yourself in to your work as well. As twisted as it may sound, I feel like a break-up just gives you another reason to work even harder - so that you come out the other end of law school as someone she regretted ever letting go. It's ok to be less than subtle about showing that to her as well.

(Above is maybe unhealthy and potentially douchey...but no coping mechanism is perfect)

Ripple6783

New

Post by Ripple6783 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:I'm all about the three-month-solid-post-breakup-rage-workout plan. Use the time you would have spent Skyping/arguing/sexing/watching TV together to get swole instead.

Like others mentioned above, throw yourself in to your work as well. As twisted as it may sound, I feel like a break-up just gives you another reason to work even harder - so that you come out the other end of law school as someone she regretted ever letting go. It's ok to be less than subtle about showing that to her as well.

(Above is maybe unhealthy and potentially douchey...but no coping mechanism is perfect)
Yea dude, hit top of the class; make 1500 a week for 12 weeks this summer; secure a $100k - 160k salary for your first year out; etc. Most importantly, make sure you get lots of pictures of yourself with hotter girls on Facebook - preferably doing things that emphasize your success.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:57 pm

I went through a much worse version of what the OP is going through. For me the trick was avoiding drinking, since all my friends think that's always what someone in that situation needs. Also hit the gym a lot, I know it's cliche but it really does seem to elevate the mind. This happened to me during my third year and I was able to keep my GPA up. I also lost 10 pounds and packed on the muscle, which also adds to the positive feelings stemming from exercising.

An important thing for me though was to not overdo the law school work. Since it was was sixth semester (I was part time for my first year and did 2 summers), I know approximately how much work I need to do to be prepared for class and for my exams. I find that overdoing the studying actually takes away from my understanding of the course since I start to lose the big picture and get too lost in the details. Plus reading tax (or whatever boring subject you are interested in) for too many hours makes jack a dull boy.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 am

I went through a similar breakup last semester, a week before exams. I always had a plan for what would happen in case of a breakup. Exercise, affirmations, and focusing on the positive. Pulled off a 3.92 that semester. Channel this negative situation into positive energy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”