NY or VA bar for patent law?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
desperate4lawschool

NY or VA bar for patent law?

Postby desperate4lawschool » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Which bar is best if I intend to practice patent law?

Big Shrimpin

Re: NY or VA bar for patent law?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:38 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:Which bar is best if I intend to practice patent law?

More details required, brah: 3L? Unemployed? Family ties? Geographical preference? Patent bar? Etc...

desperate4lawschool

Postby desperate4lawschool » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:More details required, brah: 3L? Unemployed? Family ties? Geographical preference? Patent bar? Etc...

3L, family ties to VA but geographically flexible as far as job prospects, I do have the patent bar. Am working. I just want to know whether the patent field favors a particular state bar. As a practitioner generally only needs a bar from any jurisdiction to practice patent law, I am now focused on getting the most sought after bar admission.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:
desperate4lawschool wrote:More details required, brah: 3L? Unemployed? Family ties? Geographical preference? Patent bar? Etc...

3L, family ties to VA but geographically flexible as far as job prospects, I do have the patent bar. Am working. I just want to know whether the patent field favors a particular state bar. As a practitioner generally only needs a bar from any jurisdiction to practice patent law, I am now focused on getting the most sought after bar admission.

You need to have a bar admission in the state you practice.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm

New York is a bigger market than VA in terms of patent law, especially in litigation. However, I would think that the ratio of patent lawyers to all lawyers is higher in VA than NY.

The DC metro market is much bigger than NY in terms of prosecution, and probably a little bigger in terms of litigation. So if you're going to work in DC, might as well get VA.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”