1L Oral Argument

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JewishFightClub

1L Oral Argument

Postby JewishFightClub » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Anybody have anything they wish they would have known before oral arguments? I know its not a big deal but generally curious

kalvano

Re: 1L Oral Argument

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 pm

People will tell you a lot, but it bears repeating....practice what you are going to say a few times before you have to get up and say it. Your delivery will be exponentially better.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 pm

kalvano wrote:People will tell you a lot, but it bears repeating....practice what you are going to say a few times before you have to get up and say it. Your delivery will be exponentially better.

I've got to echo this. Memorize your introductory blurb 100% I didn't do it that well and ended up stumbling a bit - not a good way to come out of the gate. I still did just fine, but starting strong will give you confidence to get through your allotted time and feel good about it.

Another thing - don't overthink it. If you get a question you don't know how to answer, reason out of it if it's easy, but if it's a real toughy, try to steer it back to the strengths of your case. You don't need to do anything magical. Just know the strengths of your case, harp on them, and develop basic counterarguments to deal with the weaknesses of your case should they arise.

Lastly, if you're the appellant & can reserve time, do it. It's a short little time period, so rip apart any obvious flaws in what opposing counsel just said, repeat the money arguments for your side, and you're done.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Don't overcaffinate. Some people will drink coffee so they are energized, but the nerves alone will energize you, and the coffee will make you jittery. Seriously, even if you are really tired, you won't be when you get up there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”