1L - 2nd Semester - anyone feeling paralyzed?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jjlaw

Re: 1L - 2nd Semester - anyone feeling paralyzed?

Postby jjlaw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 pm

sunynp wrote:Maybe you are slightly depressed? Maybe some therapy will help. You might be disappointed about your hard work not translating to the grades you expected to get.

Definitely starting to think that I'm getting depressed. I feel unmotivated, and my self-confidence is at an all time low. I keep thinking that as soon as I land a job for the summer, I'll have some sort of redemption. But I'm starting to wonder if getting a job is really going to get me out of this, because I think it goes deeper than this. I think I've developed slight insomnia during the week, and then sleeping 12 hours a day on the weekends or days when I don't have to get up early for class. I think the anxiety comes from 1) not having a summer job and 2) not knowing what I am going to do if I am still at median by the end of 1L. I really don't want to be screwed over for OCI. To think I had planned on transferring after this year... ha.

I will probably look into therapy soon.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:33 am

jjlaw wrote:
sunynp wrote:Maybe you are slightly depressed? Maybe some therapy will help. You might be disappointed about your hard work not translating to the grades you expected to get.

Definitely starting to think that I'm getting depressed. I feel unmotivated, and my self-confidence is at an all time low. I keep thinking that as soon as I land a job for the summer, I'll have some sort of redemption. But I'm starting to wonder if getting a job is really going to get me out of this, because I think it goes deeper than this. I think I've developed slight insomnia during the week, and then sleeping 12 hours a day on the weekends or days when I don't have to get up early for class. I think the anxiety comes from 1) not having a summer job and 2) not knowing what I am going to do if I am still at median by the end of 1L. I really don't want to be screwed over for OCI. To think I had planned on transferring after this year... ha.

holy crap are you me?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:47 am

My favorite thing to do is write up mock answers to problems in my text book and then submit them to the professor for review (IF the professor doesn't already supply something, which is usually the case at my school). Then I can continuously improve my writing skills throughout the semester, get a taste of what style/format the professor likes, and get some name recognition from the professor. It's been helpful so far this semester because when I write a mock answer up, I'll review it and think it's perfect. Then, of course, the professor points out things I could have fleshed out more, other cases I could have referred to, etc.

suits00

Postby suits00 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:33 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:

holy crap are you me?

I was wondering if you could provide any advice for incoming 1L's regarding stress?

I’m the one that made a grammatical error and out of my ignorance misused the word “revoked”. Although thankful that you helped to educate me, I was sincerely concerned that my grammatical error triggered such rage within you, to the point of personally attacking me. I then noticed that the majority of your posts are filled with anger or passive aggressive sarcasm. I see you cited not only WIKIPEDIA, but HOWARD University’s website when correcting me. Do you go to Howard Law? I would completely understand your anger if that’s the case. In any event, it's clear that you are unable to handle the stress of law school at this time and I hope that you seek the mental health counsling you need. I wish you the very best.
Last edited by suits00 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:40 pm

I did very well my first semester and now I have a much large work load and it has freaked me out to try to keep my grades up.

It is hard if you do bad and equally anxiety provoking if you do well. Because we both have to do the same thing.....work our asses off.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

suits00 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:

holy crap are you me?

I was wondering if you could provide any advice for incoming 1L's regarding stress?

I’m the one that made a grammatical error and out of my ignorance misused the word “revoked”. Although thankful that you helped to educate me, I was sincerely concerned that my grammatical error triggered such rage within you, to the point of personally attacking me. I then noticed that the majority of your posts are filled with anger or passive aggressive sarcasm. I see you cited not only WIKIPEDIA, but HOWARD University’s website when correcting me. Do you go to Howard Law? I would completely understand your anger if that’s the case. In any event, it's clear that you are unable to handle the stress of law school at this time and I hope that you seek the mental health counsling you need. I wish you the very best.

Don't drag fights all over the place. It's stupid and derails threads.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:44 pm

paralyzed as in don't care as much anymore? Then, yes.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Let's just say I'll probably be catching up on what's been happening over spring break.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm

NC1 wrote:Let's just say I'll probably be catching up on what's been happening over spring break.

Over the last week the thought of not going on spring break and staying here has been popping up a lot. Not going/going on SB isnt the issue - its the inevitable "what if i had studied during SB ??" afterthought I know I will have come summer..

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Sandro wrote:
NC1 wrote:Let's just say I'll probably be catching up on what's been happening over spring break.

Over the last week the thought of not going on spring break and staying here has been popping up a lot. Not going/going on SB isnt the issue - its the inevitable "what if i had studied during SB ??" afterthought I know I will have come summer..

I had this feeling after thanksgiving break last semester and I didn't like it. Although I ended up doing well, I don't think I'll go anywhere this spring break. I'd rather gun the rest of 1L year and know that I gave it my all than have to question myself in the end.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”