(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Breezin

Postby Breezin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Last edited by Breezin on Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

spets

Re: Asking to meet with profs about exams?

Postby spets » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 pm

They probably don't remember, and even if they did, the fact is you're paying exorbitant sums of money in law school tuition, and it's part of their job description. Just shoot them an e-mail to set up an appointment.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 pm

my professors were kinda unhelpful, even the ones I liked. They just looked at my grade and said, well above median score, so you probably had a grasp of the material but not enough, or others that said well this below median grade tells me you should know BLL more. Other than that is there anything else they can help with? I'm not sure how to get advice from them, since all of them just state I didn't get an A because 1. didn't have grasp of material and 2. Didn't practice writing exams

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:51 pm

they're not going to care. the organized ones already have time set aside specifically to meet with students who want to meet to discuss the exam. the disorganized one will just send you to their assistant to look at the exam.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:57 am

Did the profs show you your exam and quote sections from it? Most of them just want to give you general comments, console you, and call it quits. Annoyingly.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 am

some provided feedback with sections from the exam that should have taken that extra step. other profs literally handed over the test with absolutely nothing written on the test, except maybe a few check marks.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 am

For what tuition costs, which pays their rather large salaries so they can sit around and write scholarly articles in a big academic circle jerk, you would not at all be out of line to insist that a professor sit down with you and the exam and your answer and explain what was good, what was bad, and suggestions for improvement.

If they just hand your answer with a few checkmarks, then sit down and ask them to go over it with you. Even though some professors seem to view students as an annoyance, it is part of their job description to help them. So if they are refusing to, call them on it.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45 am

Isn't there really no point though? Even if the professor provides good feedback, won't his or her feedback differ from what the professors you have for class NOW really want?

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 am

I sat down with one today, I was really pessimistic going into it but I think it actually helped. I thought I did poorly on one area in particular but it ended up being a totally different area that I messed up on. Put it in a better perspective for me to see exactly where I went wrong, but still hard to take away a whole lot from it (mine was only about 20 minutes or so).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:06 am

If you want better results, meet with them before exams to go over a model answer that you wrote to an old exam question and have them pick it apart.

sknight323

Postby sknight323 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 pm

They don't care. I got an A- in Civ Pro, and went to ask my professor about what I missed that would have given me an A. I NEVER participated in his class, not once, but he was very happy to talk to me and never mentioned anything about participation.

morris248

Postby morris248 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Class participation usually counts for zero. You can waste a lot of time preparing for class rather than preparing for the exam.

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Disclaimer: sometimes professors will make you feel horrible about your life

I went to meet with a professor a few weeks ago about last semesters exam. I was really just looking to chat with her about her career path, field, etc because she was very successful in a field I am interested in. Anyway, we started out by talking about the exam and she pretty much just tore my shit up about how bad my exam taking skills were and how any + grade in our school is just attributed to the curve and that our class shouldn't really feel like we earned the grades that we received. She said the scores in the class were so low that she had to bump students grades up twice to satisfy the curve, which I know to be true because my grade was changed by the registrars office. So I pretty much left her office feeling like hell. I admit I'm not at the top of the class but I was (up until the meeting) satisfied with my grades. So... be wary...your professor may also be bitch.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 am

kalvano wrote:If you want better results, meet with them before exams to go over a model answer that you wrote to an old exam question and have them pick it apart.

TITCR. Like in most other aspects of life, you're best bet is to be proactive, not reactive. Take one of your professor's practice exams, email them politely asking if you can review your answer with them (tell them the specific test/fact pattern, and only do one of the hypos if there are multiple questions), and then try to get a nugget or two from them before taking the real final.

Generally speaking, going over the real final after you've taken it will (a) frustrate the hell out of you, (b) not help much, or (c) leave you even more confused than you were before. They haven't told you how to take an exam through this point, and they're not going to start now. You just have to figure that out on your own before taking the real finals.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 am

First-year, I asked to meet with two professors about exams after the fact. One was a great professor with whom I had a great relationship and one was a shitty professor. Both experiences were wholly unhelpful.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:54 am

They don't care. I've only met with a few...but one it turned out he had miscounted checkmarks and my grade was really one higher...so can be worth it if you did worse than expected.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”