Do you guys take reading notes? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Do you take notes down from your reading assignments?

Yes: I either brief cases or take notes on the reading
57%
No: Notes before class are a waste of time
43%

Total votes: 79

goodolgil

Silver

Re: Do you guys take reading notes?

Post by goodolgil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:05 pm

One color highlighting with an occasional star next to something important. No margin notes, and definitely no laptop notes while reading. Worked out great grades-wise 1L year, not as well thus far in 2L.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 am

I don't even hardly take class notes, so no I don't take reading notes. Works great for me.

Also, multi-colored highlighters is super TTT. It's like a friendship dealbreaker for me.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 am

Xifeng wrote:& bils, i'm sure there are more than 5-10 people in our class who take 0 reading notes :D
<------

I barely take any reading notes. I type notes in class and mostly include what the professor says about a note or case and write down what they think about it, which I think is the most important information anyway. My cold calls are fucking terrible because I don't bother to type up anything about a case that I wouldn't use on the exam, but I don't really care about anything that doesn't affect my grade, so it doesn't really bother me that my reading notes are shit nonexistent.

But I digress: Just do whatever works for you. Law students are obnoxious and neurotic and always want affirmation of what they're doing, or they just want to show off the work they're doing which should never, ever matter to you. Keep on keepin' on, fellow note slacker.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 am

Dany wrote:
Xifeng wrote:& bils, i'm sure there are more than 5-10 people in our class who take 0 reading notes :D
<------

I barely take any reading notes. I type notes in class and mostly include what the professor says about a note or case and write down what they think about it, which I think is the most important information anyway. My cold calls are fucking terrible because I don't bother to type up anything about a case that I wouldn't use on the exam, but I don't really care about anything that doesn't affect my grade, so it doesn't really bother me that my reading notes are shit nonexistent.

But I digress: Just do whatever works for you. Law students are obnoxious and neurotic and always want affirmation of what they're doing, or they just want to show off the work they're doing which should never, ever matter to you. Keep on keepin' on, fellow note slacker.
perfectly describes me.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:I don't even hardly take class notes, so no I don't take reading notes. Works great for me.

Also, multi-colored highlighters is super TTT. It's like a friendship dealbreaker for me.
I find the multi-colored highlighters to be extremely helpful, not so much for my own note taking, but for when I'm cold called in class. It helps me jump to the specific parts in the case I need to know, whether it's the facts of the case, holding, reasoning, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:19 pm

I take some basic notes of things from the reading that I think will go into my outline.

For cases, I do the LEEWs method, which is basically just writing 1-2 sentences on the facts, then the holding and the reason for the holding. In total, I write about 3-4 sentences max for each case (with some exceptions for particularly important cases). I then go to class and take notes on what the prof thinks is important about that case.

For casebooks that give general reading/non-case reading sections, I will take notes as they seem relevant for my outline. Generally, some policy arguments for a policy-heavy class or other basic info.

I'll make my outline from combining my reading notes, class notes, and supplements.

Working out great for me.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

I talk to my wife, play X-Box, TLS, and glance at the reading on the bus to school. Not a terrible system, but I feel like I'm spending too much time on the reading.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

where's the option for 'no but it's probably a good idea'?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I think it depends on how you learn, to some degree...

1L 1st semester- briefed every case until the last month, then book-briefing. Took extensive notes in class.

1L 2nd semester- taking occasional notes in class if the prof says something useful/insightful. All the crap I did last semester did basically nothing to help me get top 3rd. Practice finals, CALI, outlining towards the end, listening in class, and reading the cases did that for me. If you can't extract the holding and rule from the case and recall it for a week or two until you throw it in an outline, then yeah, I would write those down when reading. But if you have a good memory for what you read, I wouldn't bother.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”