Employment Statistics and Transfer Students Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
drmguy

Silver

Employment Statistics and Transfer Students

Post by drmguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 pm

It seems like most of the time TLSers look at things like biglaw and clerkship placement and say X percentage got it therefore you must be in X percentage to get it. What about the students that transfer out?

If 10% gets biglaw and 5% transfer out does that mean you must be in the top 15%?(also i realize that half of the top 10% transferring out would never happen)

Hypothetically, if 100% of the top 10% of a class that typically places 10% in ______ prestigious job transferred out would those employers just scoff and go to a different school?

Why doesn't anyone ever take account of this?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Employment Statistics and Transfer Students

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:13 pm

drmguy wrote:It seems like most of the time TLSers look at things like biglaw and clerkship placement and say X percentage got it therefore you must be in X percentage to get it.
Nobody who hasn't gone full retard thinks this.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm

drmguy wrote:It seems like most of the time TLSers look at things like biglaw and clerkship placement and say X percentage got it therefore you must be in X percentage to get it. What about the students that transfer out?

If 10% gets biglaw and 5% transfer out does that mean you must be in the top 15%?(also i realize that half of the top 10% transferring out would never happen)

Hypothetically, if 100% of the top 10% of a class that typically places 10% in ______ prestigious job transferred out would those employers just scoff and go to a different school?

Why doesn't anyone ever take account of this?
Probably because it's impossible to quantify. But at most decent school the number of transfer out is pretty small. It's dwarfed by the number of transfer in who are getting those big lawl jobs to.

Plus if 10% are getting big law, it's not like the top10% get them all and the bottom 90% get zero.

TL;DR; don't go to a school that places 10%.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Are there statistics on how many students transfer out of each school?

I have yet to see anyone go so far to use the exact percentage of prestigious placement as the "barrier to entry percentage" but I have seen a whole lot of posts that are pretty close.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Obviously none of us agree with the assertion. I just didn't have the patience to hide around until someone made it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”