5 closed book exams ahhhh

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rawrab

5 closed book exams ahhhh

Postby rawrab » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm

In May I have 5 closed book exams. Lucky for me I have a terrible memory. My midterms in December didn't go so well for me so I need to figure out a better way of memorizing. What in your opinion would be the best way to start going about this? Start memorizing now and risk wasting time and forgetting? Try to cram it in at the end?

What are your best strategies for going into closed book exams?

Also how do you not get overwhelmed by having to memorize so f ing much!?

BeachandRun23

Re: 5 closed book exams ahhhh

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm

It always helps me to just keep going over it. Read it over again and again. Read it slowly. Think about each word. Type your hand written notes up. Then write out your typed notes by hand. Think about the 5 elements of trespass in the shower. Recall the definition of battery on your way to work. Obviously you don't want to do this the whole semester --you'll drive yourself crazy. Start a couple weeks before the exam.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Really, merely working with the material and learning it inside and out is the best way to go. I actually prefer closed book exams because it awards you for your knowledge of the material, not how well you can make an outline.

Work through the E&E questions, practice former exams, get Siegel's guides for each class and work through them.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Everyone else is in the same boat as you. Relax.

Do practice exams. Make up your own hypos and write out answers to them. Practice writing BLL spiels from memory over and over.

Repetition and practice.

quiver

Postby quiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm

I actually prefer closed book exams. Anyway, I suggest memorizing as you make your outline. If you make your outline throughout the semester, then memorize throughout the semester; if you make it a month before finals, then start a month before finals. Memorizing your notes as you go is likely a waste of time because you're memorizing things you don't need to know (hence my suggestion).

BeachandRun23 wrote:Obviously you don't want to do this the whole semester --you'll drive yourself crazy.
I actually did do this all semester...and almost did drive myself crazy. Worth it though.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 pm

flash cards helped tremendously with this

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:05 am

Try to see if your prof is going to help you on the exam. I had two closed exams last semester, and I learned rather late that 1) my Civ Pro professor would give us all the relevant federal rules and statutes on the exam, and 2) my Contracts professor would give us a list of all the cases we read with a parenthetical on what the case was about (he really wanted us to compare cases). If you learn about those things, you can spend less time memorizing. Professors usually want you to understand ambiguities rather than just regurgitate information.

I also have bad memory (I've been out of school for 4 years, and I mainly wrote papers in undergrad). It ended up fine, and I didn't lose points because of memorization issues.

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Outline all semester (or flashcards) and periodically memorize these outlines throughout the semester and you'll be fine. Whatever you do just don't wait until the last month.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:34 pm

f0bolous wrote:flash cards helped tremendously with this

Wish I would have realized this sooner than the week before exams last semester. Flashcards are the shit

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:54 am

I second (third?) flashcards.

Last semester had 2 closed book and 2 'outline allowed' exams.

Did flashcards for the closed book exams. Did WAY better on them than on the ones I got to use an outline on.

Will be pretending all exams are closed book and using flashcards this semester.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:18 pm

3 suggestions:

1. Come up with single sentences that incorporate all of the elements of something into them in a way that is clear

2. Create acronyms for these elements

3. Write both of these out, by hand, over and over.

hillclimber

Postby hillclimber » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 am

There is a big list of links for all sorts of memory techniques at memorymethods.com.
Sites devoted to mental athletes are popping up all over.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've been using this word generator to plugin the first letter of important elements to remember and it gives me words or phrases that help remember elements. For instance the five standards of care for negligence is CCROPS (children, customs, reasonable person, owner/occupier, professional & special relationships). Whatever you can come up with helps.
http://www.wineverygame.com/index.php

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Type your outline over and over and over and over and over and over. For stuff you know you suck at, handwrite it.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm

And for flashcards, studyblue.com is ridiculously awesome.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue May 01, 2012 2:35 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:And for flashcards, studyblue.com is ridiculously awesome.

Nice. I wish I had known about this site before today.

rawrab

Postby rawrab » Thu May 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Just to give everyone an update because somehow this thread was reborn after a few months, I failed to take your advice and am pretty much memorizing each class in the 2 days in between each exam. God I should have listened to you all.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

rawrab wrote:Just to give everyone an update because somehow this thread was reborn after a few months, I failed to take your advice and am pretty much memorizing each class in the 2 days in between each exam. God I should have listened to you all.

To speed shit up, make notecards and memorize them one section at a time. You'll be overwhelmed if you try to do them all at once and won't learn them as quickly.

rawrab

Postby rawrab » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

yeah I have flashcards all made which are helpful. The most helpful thing is condensing everything in my outline into 1 pg, writing that over and over again to remember it and just writing that on the test and bsing the rest using the rules from the 1 pg.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”