Is anyone also thinking about killing himself?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Rmdxthx

Is anyone also thinking about killing himself?

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 am

I'm a 1L in a non-T14 (which means no job for anyone out of T40%?) law school and I received a C in Torts last semester. I had studied quite hard and felt that I had known the principles quite well, but then there came the C. Earlier today I received an email from the Dean, in which he invited me to attend a so-called enhancement program because of the grade I had received. I'm just sort of scared. I don't know how bad this is. Is a grade of C or lower the death penalty of your law school? I don't know if I should consider dropping out or not.

Thanks guys! I've decided to stick to law school despite of the disadvantaged situation. Anyways, there's no interest on my debt since I was subsidized by my relatives, so while $60K is a lot of money (it would be $38K if I choose to take some dark jobs in my second and third year), it won't crush me, even if I'm going to be a dishwasher, or work for the evil factory of Foxconn. Though I'm a loser by far, I have to say law school is a great experience. I sucked, but I've also made some sort of progress. At least I speak much better English than I did five months ago. lol
Last edited by Rmdxthx on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilove_toshop

Re: Is anyone also thinking about killing himself?

Postby ilove_toshop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:34 am

How did you do in your other courses?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 am

A C is a really, really nasty mark on your transcript. What were your other grades? What are your goals? Any other factors we should know? So far I'd say dropout is the best option (maybe after the year is over), but if you have other options or whatever then let's here it.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:55 am

First of all, I'm assuming the thread title is a joke, but just to be clear: Killing yourself over a C in a torts class means you suck balls at cost-benefit analysis. If you're going to kill yourself over a law school class, do it over getting a C in one of those uncurved fluffball upper-div seminars like "Whale flatulence and the law," because getting a C in one of those means you're actually just stupid.

But in all seriousness, there are a lot of unknowns. The fact that you got a C in a basic class like torts without even feeling like you did poorly means you might very well lack the basic analytical skills necessary for success in law school. Going to this enhancement thing and working on some nuts and bolts like how to understand a case and how to write a law school exam is probably the best thing for you. Take your dean up on his offer, attend, and take notes.

As to whether you should drop out, how bad is your law school? We know it's "not T14," but someone with a C from UCLA or Vandy might still do just fine, whereas a single C from some place like Chapman or Southwestern could well mean it's time to drop out. How were the rest of your grades? My guess is they were also bad, since you wouldn't have posted this thread if you got 3 As and a C.

Spend this semester trying to improve, and then drop out if you end 1L in the bottom third of the class (or below median if your school isn't T20ish at least).

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks for the reply and your advice. The rest of the grades (3 out of 4) are Bs. My law school is currently ranked around the 30th I think. I'm a international student, and English is not my first language and the language is really a source of pain for me. I have an LL.B degree, and I would probably go back to my country after graduation if the money is good, but I'm wondering if I can get any job with a shitty grade upon graduation (short of job opportunities in legal market is universal). I have a scholarship which I will not lose as long as I don't fail, but after 3 years I would still end up in a debt of $60k, which will take me about 3 years to pay back if I can't find a good job. I'm going to be 26 upon graduation and I want to save enough money so that I can afford a wife before 30. I really don't want to step into a life sucking shithole as a "forever alone" who worries about his debt forever.
I'm going to take the Dean's offer and see if things get better, and then make the decision.

SBL wrote:First of all, I'm assuming the thread title is a joke, but just to be clear: Killing yourself over a C in a torts class means you suck balls at cost-benefit analysis. If you're going to kill yourself over a law school class, do it over getting a C in one of those uncurved fluffball upper-div seminars like "Whale flatulence and the law," because getting a C in one of those means you're actually just stupid.

But in all seriousness, there are a lot of unknowns. The fact that you got a C in a basic class like torts without even feeling like you did poorly means you might very well lack the basic analytical skills necessary for success in law school. Going to this enhancement thing and working on some nuts and bolts like how to understand a case and how to write a law school exam is probably the best thing for you. Take your dean up on his offer, attend, and take notes.

As to whether you should drop out, how bad is your law school? We know it's "not T14," but someone with a C from UCLA or Vandy might still do just fine, whereas a single C from some place like Chapman or Southwestern could well mean it's time to drop out. How were the rest of your grades? My guess is they were also bad, since you wouldn't have posted this thread if you got 3 As and a C.

Spend this semester trying to improve, and then drop out if you end 1L in the bottom third of the class (or below median if your school isn't T20ish at least).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 am

Wait, are you getting a JD or an LLM? Are you getting a JD when you already have a law degree.... IN the country where you want to work??

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

It's been said before, but really, if the thread title was at all serious, please chill and talk to somebody. Your value as a human being is not determined by one grade in law school.

As to your particular circumstances, we'd probably have to know more about what country you're from. You're chances at getting biglaw are pretty slim at this point, but still, reaching out to the faculty/deans to improve your skills to see if you can grab a couple As next semester is a good idea. If you can do well and leverage your language skills (if you speak an important biz language like Chinese, you're probably golden), you still have an outside shot at a big firm. But even if you don't get a big firm (or don't want one), a couple of As puts you back in the running for all sorts of jobs here in the states. I'm of no help with respect to the legal market in your home country, though.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I got a biglaw job from a school ranked lower than yours with a B- and otherwise unimpressive marks first semester. Lots of jobs (as many as there can be ITE) are not closed off yet! If you do really well this semester (and the rest), particularly because English is not your first language, it can be easy to explain away the bad grade, if you even need to. Since you are on a scholarship that you will not lose because of this, definitely give it another try this semester. There's often a learning curve for law school, so it gets easier and many people improve. Stop beating yourself up about this and learn from it. Law school is hard, and if English is not your native language, your performance sounds pretty impressive to me, and I bet you'll do even better this semester!

And if you, or anyone else is seriously considering suicide, please seek some help. It gets better. Here's the suicide prevention lifeline, in case anyone needs it: 1-800-273-8255.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

DCDuck wrote:I got a biglaw job from a school ranked lower than yours with a B- and otherwise unimpressive marks first semester.

Maybe OP still has a shot if he kills it this semester, but I just wanted to say that there is a world of difference between a B- and a C on a transcript.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, but if you can get biglaw with a B-, then one C probably won't close you out from most jobs.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm

You're an idiot just for the title of this thread, not for the grade.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm a JD. I do have an LL.B degree but I haven't taken the bar exam yet.
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Wait, are you getting a JD or an LLM? Are you getting a JD when you already have a law degree.... IN the country where you want to work??

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Thank you for your encouragement. I was out of my mind yesterday. I'm lazy so I'd rather wait for the Doom than kill myself, since it's only 10 months away...To clarify, well, I do speak Chinese...and Japanese as well. But I'm wondering how it would help. It seems to me most Americans are bilingual or trilingual (English+Spanish+ X language).
BeenDidThat wrote:It's been said before, but really, if the thread title was at all serious, please chill and talk to somebody. Your value as a human being is not determined by one grade in law school.

As to your particular circumstances, we'd probably have to know more about what country you're from. You're chances at getting biglaw are pretty slim at this point, but still, reaching out to the faculty/deans to improve your skills to see if you can grab a couple As next semester is a good idea. If you can do well and leverage your language skills (if you speak an important biz language like Chinese, you're probably golden), you still have an outside shot at a big firm. But even if you don't get a big firm (or don't want one), a couple of As puts you back in the running for all sorts of jobs here in the states. I'm of no help with respect to the legal market in your home country, though.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks DC, really for your encouragement, and for the suicide prevention lifeline as well. I think there is something wrong with the way I studied and the way I wrote the exam answers. I'm going to talk to my professors. The grades are there. I can't erase it, and I should be thankful since it indicates my weakness, so that I can improve my skills. I still like law school, even though I suck.
DCDuck wrote:I got a biglaw job from a school ranked lower than yours with a B- and otherwise unimpressive marks first semester. Lots of jobs (as many as there can be ITE) are not closed off yet! If you do really well this semester (and the rest), particularly because English is not your first language, it can be easy to explain away the bad grade, if you even need to. Since you are on a scholarship that you will not lose because of this, definitely give it another try this semester. There's often a learning curve for law school, so it gets easier and many people improve. Stop beating yourself up about this and learn from it. Law school is hard, and if English is not your native language, your performance sounds pretty impressive to me, and I bet you'll do even better this semester!

And if you, or anyone else is seriously considering suicide, please seek some help. It gets better. Here's the suicide prevention lifeline, in case anyone needs it: 1-800-273-8255.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

I'll try. But even if this semester kills me rather than otherwise, I will be fine. The worst result is that I will get a shitty job and will never get a wife. Actually it might be a favor, considering those husband-killing cases.
romothesavior wrote:
DCDuck wrote:I got a biglaw job from a school ranked lower than yours with a B- and otherwise unimpressive marks first semester.

Maybe OP still has a shot if he kills it this semester, but I just wanted to say that there is a world of difference between a B- and a C on a transcript.

NicePete

Postby NicePete » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm

OP, sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to see a therapist.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 pm

It costs money
NicePete wrote:OP, sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to see a therapist.

Rmdxthx

Postby Rmdxthx » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Thank you for your advice though
NicePete wrote:OP, sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to see a therapist.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 pm

"Afford a wife"? :shock:

What country are you from bro?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Rmdxthx wrote:I'm a JD. I do have an LL.B degree but I haven't taken the bar exam yet.
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Wait, are you getting a JD or an LLM? Are you getting a JD when you already have a law degree.... IN the country where you want to work??

What's your thinking behind getting a JD instead of an LLM? I do know one other person from China, somewhere in western China I think, who got an American JD after getting her undergrad degree in law at home, but it seems like most people get the LLM instead, especially if they're planning on practicing in their home countries anyway.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Rmdxthx wrote:I'm a 1L in a non-T14 (which means no job for anyone out of T40%?) law school and I received a C in Torts last semester. I had studied quite hard and felt that I had known the principles quite well, but then there came the C. Earlier today I received an email from the Dean, in which he invited me to attend a so-called enhancement program because of the grade I had received. I'm just sort of scared. I don't know how bad this is. Is a grade of C or lower the death penalty of your law school? I don't know if I should consider dropping out or not.

Our school "enhancement program" I think just teaches people better study skills, etc.

Sounds like it might be helpful. I wouldn't think of it as a terrible thing, especially if your other grades were good.

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Rmdxthx wrote: I'm going to be 26 upon graduation and I want to save enough money so that I can afford a wife before 30.

Good thinking... never skimp on a dowry.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

Postby RamblinBoyofPleasure » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm not sure just how depressed you are OP, but just in case, you should read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15658_th ... guide.html

It's tongue-in-cheek, but there is also a lot more wisdom-per-word in there than most anything else I've read.

I hope you feel better, and good luck in the next semester.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am

Rmdxthx wrote:Thanks for the reply and your advice. The rest of the grades (3 out of 4) are Bs. My law school is currently ranked around the 30th I think. I'm a international student, and English is not my first language and the language is really a source of pain for me. I have an LL.B degree, and I would probably go back to my country after graduation if the money is good, but I'm wondering if I can get any job with a shitty grade upon graduation (short of job opportunities in legal market is universal). I have a scholarship which I will not lose as long as I don't fail, but after 3 years I would still end up in a debt of $60k, which will take me about 3 years to pay back if I can't find a good job. I'm going to be 26 upon graduation and I want to save enough money so that I can afford a wife before 30. I really don't want to step into a life sucking shithole as a "forever alone" who worries about his debt forever.
I'm going to take the Dean's offer and see if things get better, and then make the decision.

Pull yourself together man. Jesus Christ. Have a drink, chase some tail. What the hell is the matter with you?

Also, the weird shit about affording a wife aside, why would you want to be married before 30? Just pull it together dude.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 am

BeaverHunter wrote:
Rmdxthx wrote:Thanks for the reply and your advice. The rest of the grades (3 out of 4) are Bs. My law school is currently ranked around the 30th I think. I'm a international student, and English is not my first language and the language is really a source of pain for me. I have an LL.B degree, and I would probably go back to my country after graduation if the money is good, but I'm wondering if I can get any job with a shitty grade upon graduation (short of job opportunities in legal market is universal). I have a scholarship which I will not lose as long as I don't fail, but after 3 years I would still end up in a debt of $60k, which will take me about 3 years to pay back if I can't find a good job. I'm going to be 26 upon graduation and I want to save enough money so that I can afford a wife before 30. I really don't want to step into a life sucking shithole as a "forever alone" who worries about his debt forever.

Pull yourself together man. Jesus Christ. Have a drink, chase some tail. What the hell is the matter with you?

Also, the weird shit about affording a wife aside, why would you want to be married before 30? Just pull it together dude.

hes a foreign student different cultures and shit, bro

but yea, OP should pull it together and be a fucking man.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”