Help with class rank (new school GPA mean this year)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmcdgt

Help with class rank (new school GPA mean this year)

Postby nmcdgt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Last edited by nmcdgt on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help with class rank (new school GPA mean this year)

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Go to the forum you posted in. Look at the top post.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:34 pm

There are a lot of ways to get to a 3.3 median (or mean for that matter). There is no way for us to tell you what the curve will look like unless your school told you something about the requirements of the curve (beyond the median/mean).

I would guess that if your school recently changed medians, that professors will continue to give out a similar number of above median and below median grades as they did before but merely shift the median point. That probably means the old percentiles are not going to be wildly different from the new ones with the exception of grades around the median.

Bottom line is you're probably close to/in the top 10% unless your school started mandating that professors give a lot more As.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Go to the forum you posted in. Look at the top post.

I know but we have no known data points for the new mean, otherwise I'd just guess based on the data I had already

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

bdubs wrote:There are a lot of ways to get to a 3.3 median (or mean for that matter). There is no way for us to tell you what the curve will look like unless your school told you something about the requirements of the curve (beyond the median/mean).

I would guess that if your school recently changed medians, that professors will continue to give out a similar number of above median and below median grades as they did before but merely shift the median point. That probably means the old percentiles are not going to be wildly different from the new ones with the exception of grades around the median.

Bottom line is you're probably close to/in the top 10% unless your school started mandating that professors give a lot more As.

Thanks for the input, this is what I'm hoping for

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”