ITT: how you improved dramatically from first semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shepdawg

Re: ITT: how you improved dramatically from first semester

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Sorry, but I never drastically improved. My GPA has only went up by .2 each semester (on a 95 scale). I don't think people drastically improve unless they did something terribly wrong to start with. So, the best way to improve is to find out what you did wrong and stop doing that.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Sandro wrote:
3|ink wrote:Some people can get away without doing shit in law school and still maintain 10%. You're not one of them. Neither am I. Few people are. Just work harder. There's nothing else to it. I came into 1L assuming the people around me were a lot smarter, so I put a hell of a lot of effort into my work. I owe my success to the fact that I didn't succumb to the "I'm smarter than most people in my class" syndrome.

Everyone* is smart*

I dont think theres too many stupid people in my class. None that I could blatantly call out.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 am

I know my comment seemed smart assed, but I was sort of serious. I didnt do shit, but I felt like I knew everything, which was either not true, or because Id done so little, the application just wasnt there.

Idk how to put this into a question, but would more work on a more consistent basis help, even though I thought I knew what I was talking about?

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 am

bport hopeful wrote:I know my comment seemed smart assed, but I was sort of serious. I didnt do shit, but I felt like I knew everything, which was either not true, or because Id done so little, the application just wasnt there.

Idk how to put this into a question, but would more work on a more consistent basis help, even though I thought I knew what I was talking about?

One would imagine so, right? I really can't tell if this is a serious question.

If you really "didn't do shit," then you probably can't confidently say that you knew every rule and how to apply it by heart. This semester, make sure that before your exams you know each of your entire outlines by heart and how to apply them, and I can guarantee you'll do better than a semester in which you "didn't do shit."

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 am

bport hopeful wrote:I know my comment seemed smart assed, but I was sort of serious. I didnt do shit, but I felt like I knew everything, which was either not true, or because Id done so little, the application just wasnt there.

What do you mean by "didn't do shit"?

If you mean you never showed up to class, never did the readings, didn't look at an outline, yeah more work would help.

I did well by just doing the readings, showing up to class, but not outlining or case briefing. In retrospect, I could have probably done as well without doing many of the readings but you don't know which readings you need for the exam so you should do most/all.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 am

johansantana21 wrote:

What do you mean by "didn't do shit"?

If you mean you never showed up to class, never did the readings, didn't look at an outline, yeah more work would help.

I did well by just doing the readings, showing up to class, but not outlining or case briefing. In retrospect, I could have probably done as well without doing many of the readings but you don't know which readings you need for the exam so you should do most/all.

I guess I should be more specific. I showed up, and usually was at least aware of the case facts. I took no notes, and did no outlining.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”