Selling books on Amazon - Book lost?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Selling books on Amazon - Book lost?

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am

I sold a book on amazon for $20. The buyer sent me a message 1 week after they placed the order, and on a Monday following a 3 day weekend asking when they would receive the book. I replied that I sent the book and it would arrive withing the next 1 week give or take a few days (media mail standard). Now I have a message stating they never received the book and want a refund. Has this ever happend to anyone? It seems suspicious.

justonemoregame

Re: Selling books on Amazon - Book lost?

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

You can ignore the refund request. If you sent the book 'media mail,' it can take a couple weeks to get there, so I would definitely wait a few days before issuing the refund if you decide to do that. Did you happen to purchase delivery confirmation? This will protect you against the A-Z guarantee if they try to claim they never rec'd it (which amazon automatically grants).

The only risk you run by ignoring the request is a potential negative feedback. If they truly never rec'd it, they can get a refund easily through amazon.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 am

This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. I've been selling on amazon for years and never had any problems so I stopped getting delivery confirmation a long time ago. A guy filed for a refund on a book I sent him and since I didn't have the confirmation Amazon gave it to him and automatically charged my credit card. I sent emails and made phone calls but basically if you can't prove it they just take the buyer's word for it. Expensive lesson to learn.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 am

No, I didn't purchase the delievery confirmation. The book was actually only $17, and I never had a problem like this before so I didn't think it was necessary.

I'm torn because if they didn't receive it I want to refund them, but I have a feeling they are trying to pull a fast one.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. I've been selling on amazon for years and never had any problems so I stopped getting delivery confirmation a long time ago. A guy filed for a refund on a book I sent him and since I didn't have the confirmation Amazon gave it to him and automatically charged my credit card. I sent emails and made phone calls but basically if you can't prove it they just take the buyer's word for it. Expensive lesson to learn.

Might aswell refund them then and prevent the hassel.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 am

I have the media mail receipt that shows I sent a package to their zip code, does that count for anything?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 am

You could send them an e-mail saying you definitely shipped the book out on time, but sometimes things get delayed in the mail, and if it happens to not show up, they can easily file for a refund through amazon (I think many people are unaware of this). Never know what kind of customer you're going to get though, some people can't be pleased.

Like LT, I've sold books on amazon for years, and from my experience, they're likely being honest. Sucks though! Also, delivery confirmation is cheap and allows you to track the package online for next time.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 am

Extension_Cord wrote:I have the media mail receipt that shows I sent a package to their zip code, does that count for anything?

If they file an A-Z claim, you will be given the opportunity to respond - if you scan that receipt, it might work, I've never tried. Whenever I've had a delivery confirmation number, Amazon.com has covered the refund. When I haven't, they've charged my account.

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 am

I have been an Amazon seller for years (mostly books, CDs, and DVDs). Just FYI, there seems to be some buyers who take advantage of the fact that there is no delivery confirmation and will report the item as "not delivered" regardless of if it was or not. It is well known that if you, as a seller, have no way of proving delivery, then you will have to cough up a refund.

The reason I believe this is because in the past I would not put delivery confirmation on any item that was valued at less than $5. Claims against me for "not delivered" for these sub $5 items was drastically higher than for items above $5 that had delivery confirmation. I would say for every 1 claim for items with delivery confirmation there were 10 or more for those without it. This is with roughly the same amount of items in each category (slightly more sub $5 items).

Basically, my advise is to cover your ass and get the DC. It is a marginal cost, especially if you only sell high price items (like textbooks) and do not sell frequently.

Also OP, in your situation, there is a delivery deadline or a date that the product should be delivered by (usually it is 3 to 4 weeks out with standard delivery). You have no liability to repay until after this date so wait and see what happens.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am

Half.com insures you against loss so long as you can show you shipped it. I've had this happen before.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:13 am

I just scanned a copy of my USPS receipt showing I sent something via media mail to her zip code and asked that she wait a couple days.

I'm not saying this person is up to no good, but its ashame people would do anything like John said.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 am

Extension_Cord wrote:I just scanned a copy of my USPS receipt showing I sent something via media mail to her zip code and asked that she wait a couple days.

I'm not saying this person is up to no good, but its ashame people would do anything like John said.

Haha, welcome to retail. It's just as bad, if not worse, in traditional brick and mortar establishments. People will steal something then try and return it as defective, people will just steal stuff to keep, people will claim they paid x a week ago when item had y price but have no way to prove it, people will buy something then use it for what they needed it for, one time items like special wrenches and the like, then try and return them, and almost all just blatantly lie if it suits them. However, the one thing worse than customers is employees...

I'd take this as a lesson learned to use delivery confirmation (just price it into your item) and refund her the money.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 am

As noted above, media mail can take several weeks. Also, mail theft is on the rise so paying for delivery confirmation is recommended. The post office should be able to track the package into the hands of the contractor or postal employee who delivers the mail. A lot of US Mail is now delivered by contractors who get the contract by being the lowest bidder.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:38 am

Unitas wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:I just scanned a copy of my USPS receipt showing I sent something via media mail to her zip code and asked that she wait a couple days.

Haha, welcome to retail. It's just as bad, if not worse, in traditional brick and mortar establishments. People will steal something then try and return it as defective, people will just steal stuff to keep, people will claim they paid x a week ago when item had y price but have no way to prove it, people will buy something then use it for what they needed it for, one time items like special wrenches and the like, then try and return them, and almost all just blatantly lie if it suits them. However, the one thing worse than customers is employees...

I'd take this as a lesson learned to use delivery confirmation (just price it into your item) and refund her the money.

I had someone chargeback their credit card saying they never bought an iphone that they bought on ebay and I had shipped them 2 months prior. They claimed someone had stolen their card even though it was shipped to their house. Luckily, I had the receipt and it was insured...and paypal fought Mastercard for the $400.

Now I always insure if over $50 and delivery confirmation otherwise.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 am

I didn't read everything, but I've had several fast ones pulled on me. Typically what happens to me is the buyer will tear the packaging up and do return to sender. Either several students are dishonest or there are far more grizzly bears rummaging through big city mailboxes than I thought.

The only way to get around it is to pay extra for a signature requirement. This of course will prevent having a book stolen, but you still won't profit from the dishonest people because they will refuse to sign it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm

If they refuse to sign, then the package is returned to sender.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

sounds like buyer either ripped you off, or it really got lost. no way to know.
Amazon will probably side with buyer, so just be happy it was a 20 buck book, and not a 200 buck book.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If they refuse to sign, then the package is returned to sender.

You lose out on shipping...

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:19 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:I have the media mail receipt that shows I sent a package to their zip code, does that count for anything?

If they file an A-Z claim, you will be given the opportunity to respond - if you scan that receipt, it might work, I've never tried. Whenever I've had a delivery confirmation number, Amazon.com has covered the refund. When I haven't, they've charged my account.

That's good to hear as I have one in dispute right now they claimed they never received. Since it was shipped expedited I had the delivery confirmation (whew) - so hopefully I won't be burned.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm

ben4847 wrote:sounds like buyer either ripped you off, or it really got lost. no way to know.
Amazon will probably side with buyer, so just be happy it was a 20 buck book, and not a 200 buck book.

This. AMZ (like eBay) is very buyer friendly.

Doesn't hurt to go with the suggestions of people in this thread, but I would bet you're gonna be out.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm

uci2013 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:

That's good to hear as I have one in dispute right now they claimed they never received. Since it was shipped expedited I had the delivery confirmation (whew) - so hopefully I won't be burned.

As an FYI, attaching both the proof of delivery from the post office as well as the receipt in response to the buyer's claim did me no good. Amazon is charging my account over $120 to reimburse the buyer - I am not only out the book, but the cost of expedited shipping. I probably won't sell on Amazon again, but if I do, I will require a signature from the buyer and will build that into the cost of the book. The way it is now, anyone can just say they didn't receive something and get a refund and the feedback is unidirectional.

Sadly for the OP, this doesn't look good either.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 pm

uci2013 wrote:
uci2013 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:

As an FYI, attaching both the proof of delivery from the post office as well as the receipt in response to the buyer's claim did me no good. Amazon is charging my account over $120 to reimburse the buyer - I am not only out the book, but the cost of expedited shipping. I probably won't sell on Amazon again, but if I do, I will require a signature from the buyer and will build that into the cost of the book. The way it is now, anyone can just say they didn't receive something and get a refund and the feedback is unidirectional.

Sadly for the OP, this doesn't look good either.

You had delievery confirmation and they still didn't side with you? Thats not how their system is supposed to work.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
You had delievery confirmation and they still didn't side with you? Thats not how their system is supposed to work.

Yes and the receipt. I've filed an appeal, and may call them. I don't understand what else they would want from me. I have a copy of the label with where it was sent to and with the tracking number and I have the receipt as well. And they were scanned and sent to them. It makes no sense to me at all. The only thing I didn't do is require a signature.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 pm

uci2013 wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Yes and the receipt. I've filed an appeal, and may call them. I don't understand what else they would want from me. I have a copy of the label with where it was sent to and with the tracking number and I have the receipt as well. And they were scanned and sent to them. It makes no sense to me at all. The only thing I didn't do is require a signature.

Thats ridiculous, if they try to do that get your CC to stop the charges.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

Why not use half.com? You just buy the shipping label through half.com, which comes with delivery confirmation. I haven't had any issues yet. I had someone complain about a missing book once, but they ended up having to take up the issue with the post office.

With that said, I have sold gift cards on half.com's sister site, ebay, and people have filed disputes, claiming the gift cards had a $0 balance. Ebay refunded their money using funds from my paypal account. However, the gift cards all had their full balances on them when I mailed them out. Grr.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”