OneNote Law School Templates Compilation+Poll Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Is OneNote the best note-taking software for law school?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 101

gaud

Platinum

Re: OneNote Law School Templates Compilation+Poll

Post by gaud » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm

shepdawg wrote:
gaud wrote:Can anyone tell me why OneNote is better than EverNote or why I should use one instead of the other??

Thank you!
Anyone who started with OneNote will not have used EverNote, because OneNote is so good. I think the only reason to use EverNote is if you have a mac and don't want to buy Windows.

Good to know! Thank you

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:11 pm

bump, for reference.

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm

I've used MS Office for Mac for the past few years and really like the notebook layout because I can create different tabs while recording audio. Has anybody used notebook and, if so, how does it comepare to OneNote?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

gaud wrote:
shepdawg wrote:
gaud wrote:Can anyone tell me why OneNote is better than EverNote or why I should use one instead of the other??

Thank you!
Anyone who started with OneNote will not have used EverNote, because OneNote is so good. I think the only reason to use EverNote is if you have a mac and don't want to buy Windows.

Good to know! Thank you
Well, one of the things I'm wondering is whether the ability to synch to the cloud (Evernote) would be useful. This would allow me to access my notes on my laptop, tablet and phone. Can OneNote do that? Do people in law school find that function useful?

I'm about to buy a laptop for law school and am wondering if the OneNote frenzy should factor into my decision to pick a PC or Mac. If Evernote is just as good (or better, factoring the cloud function), or if Growly Notes gets the job done, this is a non-issue.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
gaud wrote:
shepdawg wrote:

Thank you!

Good to know! Thank you
Well, one of the things I'm wondering is whether the ability to synch to the cloud (Evernote) would be useful. This would allow me to access my notes on my laptop, tablet and phone. Can OneNote do that? Do people in law school find that function useful?

I'm about to buy a laptop for law school and am wondering if the OneNote frenzy should factor into my decision to pick a PC or Mac. If Evernote is just as good (or better, factoring the cloud function), or if Growly Notes gets the job done, this is a non-issue.
I sync my OneNote to DropBox. You can also sync it to Windows Live. And yes, OneNote is for sure better - a few of my friends that have Macs really wish they had OneNote.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

OneNote operates from folders like any other program. Just place those folders in your Dropbox account and you can sync OneNote across a variety of computers.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:48 pm

kalvano wrote:OneNote operates from folders like any other program. Just place those folders in your Dropbox account and you can sync OneNote across a variety of computers.
Cool. Can you access those files from your phone or tablet? Do you use a tablet/phone version of OneNote or just open the files via another program like Word?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:OneNote operates from folders like any other program. Just place those folders in your Dropbox account and you can sync OneNote across a variety of computers.
Cool. Can you access those files from your phone or tablet? Do you use a tablet/phone version of OneNote or just open the files via another program like Word?

I mean, you can, but you still need OneNote to view them. You can send OneNote notebooks to Word, but you can't open or edit notebooks with Word, as far as I know. There's an iOS app, but it's not the same as regular OneNote.

To my knowledge, tablets / phones and OneNote are not that compatible.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

I mean, you can, but you still need OneNote to view them. You can send OneNote notebooks to Word, but you can't open or edit notebooks with Word, as far as I know. There's an iOS app, but it's not the same as regular OneNote.

To my knowledge, tablets / phones and OneNote are not that compatible.
Thanks. I just wondered if there was as at least a way to read my class notes and/or outlines via a phone or tablet. I could see myself reviewing materials on another platform besides my laptop occasionally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Siriusendeavor

New

Post by Siriusendeavor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 am

I know this is an old post, but I use both onenote and evernote-OneNote is still superior. If you have OneNote 2010 you can sync your notebooks via Skydrive. It doesn't matter if you do not have onenote wherever you access skydrive because it will display a limited version or webapp of onenote. On iOS i have the onenote app just to review notes on my phone. I like evernote just as a free form agenda. I hate it for law school, that said many peers use it. One interesting feature that is still a little wonky, is the connection with a web app "study blue" that uploads notes into flashcards. It's not enough to buy me into evernote for classes, but it is interesting nonetheless. I still prefer Onenote and have since college. I like OneNote's free form text, text expansion and the ease of creating tables (just Tab button). You can have both readings and class notes in a single page-evernote still hasn't implemented this. I use parallels on Mac and it works pretty seamlessly. I really only purchased Parallels for onenote (you can get a student discount on this and windows 8 if you don't have a copy). I have to say I gave up PC I got tired of tinkering with it. I rather have the simplicity of a Mac since law school is enough complexity for me. My onenote resembles most of the previous templates. There are templates you can get for case briefs and note systems like Cornell.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm

I use it a work and at school. The attorney's I work with are amazed at its convenience! I sync my shit to my skydrive account and no matter which computer I'm on I always have access to my crap!

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:25 am

You bros go way more in depth than I do.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

By 3L, a month and a half into class, this is what your fancy OneNote will look like:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:27 pm

kalvano wrote:By 3L, a month and a half into class, this is what your fancy OneNote will look like:

thats what my onenote looks like for PR as well, and here its a required class for 1ls =/ ..i spoke to a 2L and they ended up with a 70 page outline in the class, i really dont see how, we dont even have a casebook! we just do hypotheticals all day, which is why my onebook section for that class is blank

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

2nd semester 1L here and that's what my OneNote looks like already. Was too hard to find stuff last semester so lol @ organization.

Legen..waitforit

New

Post by Legen..waitforit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 am

taggg

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”