Does anyone who is not transferring turn down law review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OnePostWonder

Does anyone who is not transferring turn down law review?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Just wondering.

Helmholtz

Re: Does anyone who is not transferring turn down law review?

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:32 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:Just wondering.

There was a guy at CCN who was doing a JD/MBA. Was #1 in his class at the law school and the business school after the first year. Turned down law review because he said "he didn't need it anyway," and ended up having a blast for the next two years. Got a very prestigious clerkship after law school and is now working for one of the most prestigious boutiques in the country. Looks like he didn't actually need it.

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Dunno, but man I often wish I had. After striking out at OCI, doing the bs work for LR is unbearable.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

There was a guy at CCN who was doing a JD/MBA. Was #1 in his class at the law school and the business school after the first year. Turned down law review because he said "he didn't need it anyway," and ended up having a blast for the next two years. Got a very prestigious clerkship after law school and is now working for one of the most prestigious boutiques in the country. Looks like he didn't actually need it.

I'm pretty skeptical that LR really helps for most jobs. Especially since it doesn't seem to help people who wrote on all that much.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical that LR really helps for most jobs. Especially since it doesn't seem to help people who wrote on all that much.

I think this might go a little too far in the other direction. LR certainly doesn't guarantee you a job, but of course it helps. It's probably like softs in admissions. It'll never stand alone, but helps if you have the numbers.
Last edited by MrKappus on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I cannot speak to biglaw or other types of hiring -- the effect of LR there is probably an easily-answered empirical question -- but in clerkship hiring LR makes a difference for lots of judges. Thus, if OP wants to clerk, s/he should consider that reality as part of the overall picture. If all you want is biglaw, and you have awesome grades, then foregoing LR seems completely rational to me.

And if you miss biglaw, you are gonna want that clerkship bump real bad... but are judges going to seriously look at a write-on kid?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I cannot speak to biglaw or other types of hiring -- the effect of LR there is probably an easily-answered empirical question -- but in clerkship hiring LR makes a difference for lots of judges. Thus, if OP wants to clerk, s/he should consider that reality as part of the overall picture. If all you want is biglaw, and you have awesome grades, then foregoing LR seems completely rational to me.

And if you miss biglaw, you are gonna want that clerkship bump real bad... but are judges going to seriously look at a write-on kid?

Going the clerkship route also requires having an interest in Con law, right?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Important to note too that when a write-on member writes on, she only has 1/3 of her grades. If she dramatically improved over 2L/3L, she could still have a clerkship-worthy transcript.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 pm

MrKappus wrote:Important to note too that when a write-on member writes on, she only has 1/3 of her grades. If she dramatically improved over 2L/3L, she could still have a clerkship-worthy transcript.

Don't judges already decide well before 3L grades come in?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Important to note too that when a write-on member writes on, she only has 1/3 of her grades. If she dramatically improved over 2L/3L, she could still have a clerkship-worthy transcript.

Hell, some judges hire before even a single 2L grade comes out. Then again, a fair number of people clerk after a couple years of working, so the judge would see every grade.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Hell, some judges hire before even a single 2L grade comes out. Then again, a fair number of people clerk after a couple years of working, so the judge would see every grade.

But, if you're an unemployed write-on kid...

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:47 pm

MrKappus wrote:Important to note too that when a write-on member writes on, she only has 1/3 1/2 of her grades that are relevant to clerkships. If she dramatically improved over 2L/3L, she could still have a clerkship-worthy transcript.

Good points above.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Eh, we talked about it in every interview and I feel it was the sole relating factor i had to several of my interviewers. A few firms have only ever hired LR people from my school. One of my callbacks even scheduled interviewers who shared an interest with my note topic. Hard to believe it had no impact.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Clerking does not require an interest in conlaw. Lots of the material you encounter as a federal clerk arises under statutes or the common law, rather than the Constitution.

As for the above, I am unaware of any judge who hires "before even a single 2L grade comes out." Any chance you are willing to share who these judges are?

I believe that a certain judge on the Ninth Circuit will snap up some people more than a month before they sit down for their first 2L exam :wink:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I believe that a certain judge on the Ninth Circuit will snap up some people more than a month before they sit down for their first 2L exam :wink:

In prior years, said judge waited until second semester. My application year (spring/summer 2009), the judge in question waited until spring!

This is madness. If anyone else has credible, specific reports of hiring before second semester of 2L year, please let me know. I promise to keep the specific judge names & courts confidential.

I'm pretty sure both Wilkinson and Kozinski hire that early whenever they feel like doing so (and don't when they don't?)

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

at fordham it helps big time. outside the t14 i imagine its super important. fordham takes the top 25 students as grade ons and another 30+ as write ons. write ons can be in the top 33%. so basically everyone after the 6% percentile up to the 33rd % or so that is on lr has a HUGE advantage over other non-lr students considering fordham OCIs at around 25%.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I did(effectively). Best decision I made in law school. Never affected me negatively in the slightest(although I never wanted to clerk).

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 am

Not many, but many later wish they did.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 am

I turned it down. Don't want to clerk and don't want biglaw.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am

thesealocust wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I believe that a certain judge on the Ninth Circuit will snap up some people more than a month before they sit down for their first 2L exam :wink:

In prior years, said judge waited until second semester. My application year (spring/summer 2009), the judge in question waited until spring!

This is madness. If anyone else has credible, specific reports of hiring before second semester of 2L year, please let me know. I promise to keep the specific judge names & courts confidential.

I'm pretty sure both Wilkinson and Kozinski hire that early whenever they feel like doing so (and don't when they don't?)

Lol at kozinski.

He trolled my contracts class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjCdbGucCU

Apparently my professor clerked with him so he stopped by to harass us when he came to visit my LS. He's even more hardcore in person.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am

Helmholtz wrote:

I decided to look up this guy again. Seems that the "very prestigious clerkship" I alluded to was actually a SCOTUS clerkship (for some reason, I had thought he only did COA).

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 am

Know some people with the grades who never did the write on - didn't want it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 am

I tried to turn down Law Review, but those jackasses never gave me the chance to.

I'm looking at you, Betasteve.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”