My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NoleinNY

Silver

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Grizz wrote:
OnePostWonder wrote:Hey all - this is my first time on TLS.

So I got a 4.1 GPA in my first semester of law school. I'm worried my classmates will think I'm bragging when I tell them, even if I don't bring it up first. I've been asked about five times (grades came out recently), but I have always avoided the question, saying something like "pretty well" or "IDK, not bad." I'm afraid that if I tell people who are unhappy with their own grades, their jealousy will block out the sun. But on the other side of that, by avoiding the question, people must think my GPA is abysmally low - and that's as bad, if not worse.

One of my good friends (a dude) is, frankly, a gossip. I was thinking about telling him what I got (in faux confidence [he's already told me his (3.2)]) - then everyone will likely hear it, but not from me.

Is this a good plan or should I keep my mouth shut?
How's ass burgers treating you?
Before law school, I thought Asperger's was vastly over-diagnosed. I now fully believe that more people have it than cold sores and ADD combined.

OnePostWonder

New

Post by OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 pm

This is just a taste of the jealousy I'll experience in real life. I'm sure of it.

Why can't you kids just be happy for your superiors instead of always wanting to drag us down to your level? I really don't even.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:29 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:This is just a taste of the jealousy I'll experience in real life. I'm sure of it.

Why can't you kids just be happy for your superiors instead of always wanting to drag us down to your level? I really don't even.
Why couldn't you just live up to your username? :(

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:29 pm

A 4.1 GPA is a tool that you should keep in your tool-belt. Keep the tool in your tool-belt until you need to use it.

Am I doing the analogy thing right?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 pm

OnePostWonder wrote: Why can't you kids just be happy for your superiors instead of always wanting to drag us down to your level? I really don't even.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Law Sauce wrote: You don't have to lie. Just say, "I did well." If they ask more and are persistent, just tell them. This thread = over thinking
TITCR

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:41 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:This is just a taste of the jealousy I'll experience in real life. I'm sure of it.

Don't force it.

You had TLS at your mercy, and you're losing it now with your trolololobvious poasts.

Good game. I would've bitten had I seen this earlier.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hate law students so goddamn much.
/thread

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Couldn't agree more.

OnePostWonder

New

Post by OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I just bought a $160 alarm clock on Amazon. I'll be able to borrow more federal money next semester anyway.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:03 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:I just bought a $160 alarm clock on Amazon. I'll be able to borrow more federal money next semester anyway.
Hopefully it's the "light therapy" model.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:I just bought a $160 alarm clock on Amazon. I'll be able to borrow more federal money next semester anyway.
I burn a $100 in bed as part of my wake up routine, after my hired servant nudges me exactly 3 times. I love the smell of excess in the morning.

I guess its cool if you can only afford a $160 alarm clock brah #livinginpoverty

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Grizz wrote:
OnePostWonder wrote:Hey all - this is my first time on TLS.

So I got a 4.1 GPA in my first semester of law school. I'm worried my classmates will think I'm bragging when I tell them, even if I don't bring it up first. I've been asked about five times (grades came out recently), but I have always avoided the question, saying something like "pretty well" or "IDK, not bad." I'm afraid that if I tell people who are unhappy with their own grades, their jealousy will block out the sun. But on the other side of that, by avoiding the question, people must think my GPA is abysmally low - and that's as bad, if not worse.

One of my good friends (a dude) is, frankly, a gossip. I was thinking about telling him what I got (in faux confidence [he's already told me his (3.2)]) - then everyone will likely hear it, but not from me.

Is this a good plan or should I keep my mouth shut?
How's ass burgers treating you?
:lol:. TCR should've been: tell anyone who asks, "welp, there's a 98-100% (depending on curve) chance that I did better than you."

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:30 pm

johansantana21 wrote:But on topic, am I just socially awkward because no one ever asks me my grades.
titcq

i haven't been asked about my grades.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

if you want to brag but dont want to come right out and say it, just have the SYH transfer page loaded on your computer during class or in the library at all times.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Have you considered sending an email announcing your GPA on the law school listserv? Immediately follow it up with another email saying "lawl sorry guys, meant to send that to Wachtell."
But bils, how do I do this if I don't know how listservs work? :(
I know of a law school dropout who could probably tell you.
This did not get the recognition it deserved. I lol'd.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Pleasye wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know of a law school dropout who could probably tell you.
This did not get the recognition it deserved. I lol'd.
Thank you, I felt underappreciated.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 pm

LOL oh my goodness. Are you even trying to hide the trolliness of your story now? I mean come ON, bro. You can do better than this.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

LOL oh my goodness. Are you even trying to hide the trolliness of your story now? I mean come ON, bro. You can do better than this.
Although this is undoubtedly a troll, unfortunately, I've met law students that think like this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 am

well, I posted about my first semester 4.0 on tls, and it was so obvious to everyone at my school who I was that they all knew within 3 days. same may have already happened to you.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am

traydeuce wrote:well, I posted about my first semester 4.0 on tls, and it was so obvious to everyone at my school who I was that they all knew within 3 days. same may have already happened to you.
Yeah but he got a 4.1, bro.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 am

OP, I'm so glad you asked this question so that I can help you out!

People on here are right about one thing: When people ask directly about grades, take others' advice and respond that you don't talk about grades.

With that said, there are other ways to indirectly hint at your superiority. Here are a couple suggestions:

1) Go to your registrar's office and request 5-10 transcripts. Open the envelopes and then "accidentally" leave them in strategic locations throughout your law building. For example, you might try leaving one in the printer, one in the cafeteria, one in the elevator, or (my personal favorite) one in a bathroom stall -- never underestimate a man's need for good reading material.

2) When speaking one-on-one with classmates, try to bury hints in the conversation. This one takes some practice. The key is to disguise the hint as self-deprecation or fear of inadequacy. Here are a few examples to get you started:

"Man, I wish they released class ranks mid-year... I wonder where the cutoff for the top 1% was."
"Do you think it's too early to ask professors for transfer recommendations?"
"Do you think I could get away with scheduling more than 4 interviews a day? I wish the rest of my week wasn't so full"
"I'm worried that my GPA might tank this semester. I heard that Professor So and So only gave out 2 A's last year."
"Do you have any topic ideas for a law review note?" (Also works well with professors)

Final note: I know that people on here may criticize you for wanting to brag about your grades, but that's only because they're jealous. Just remember: Haters gonna hate, slaters gonna slate!

PS. Perhaps we could have this added to the articles section to help out future students?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 am

bceagles182 wrote:OP, I'm so glad you asked this question so that I can help you out!

People on here are right about one thing: When people ask directly about grades, take others' advice and respond that you don't talk about grades.

With that said, there are other ways to indirectly hint at your superiority. Here are a couple suggestions:

1) Go to your registrar's office and request 5-10 transcripts. Open the envelopes and then "accidentally" leave them in strategic locations throughout your law building. For example, you might try leaving one in the printer, one in the cafeteria, one in the elevator, or (my personal favorite) one in a bathroom stall -- never underestimate a man's need for good reading material.

2) When speaking one-on-one with classmates, try to bury hints in the conversation. This one takes some practice. The key is to disguise the hint as self-deprecation or fear of inadequacy. Here are a few examples to get you started:

"Man, I wish they released class ranks mid-year... I wonder where the cutoff for the top 1% was."
"Do you think it's too early to ask professors for transfer recommendations?"
"Do you think I could get away with scheduling more than 4 interviews a day? I wish the rest of my week wasn't so full"
"I'm worried that my GPA might tank this semester. I heard that Professor So and So only gave out 2 A's last year."
"Do you have any topic ideas for a law review note?" (Also works well with professors)

Final note: I know that people on here may criticize you for wanting to brag about your grades, but that's only because they're jealous. Just remember: Haters gonna hate, slaters gonna slate!

PS. Perhaps we could have this added to the articles section to help out future students?
..... :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”