My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OnePostWonder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm

My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey all - this is my first time on TLS.

So I got a 4.1 GPA in my first semester of law school. I'm worried my classmates will think I'm bragging when I tell them, even if I don't bring it up first. I've been asked about five times (grades came out recently), but I have always avoided the question, saying something like "pretty well" or "IDK, not bad." I'm afraid that if I tell people who are unhappy with their own grades, their jealousy will block out the sun. But on the other side of that, by avoiding the question, people must think my GPA is abysmally low - and that's as bad, if not worse.

One of my good friends (a dude) is, frankly, a gossip. I was thinking about telling him what I got (in faux confidence [he's already told me his (3.2)]) - then everyone will likely hear it, but not from me.

Is this a good plan or should I keep my mouth shut?
Last edited by OnePostWonder on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm

"I don't talk about grades."

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 pm

.
Last edited by snehpets on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."

OnePostWonder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


It's weird, really - people come up to me like, "HEY HOW DID YOU DO IN CRIM I DID WELL GOT AN B+ WHAT DID YOU GET?!"

I can't say I don't talk about grades; that just seems so douchey, plus he'd probably think I got a C. And I really feel like I can't say "A+" because he'd punch me in the face or something (or talk badly about me behind my back, idk).

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Law Sauce » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm

If you do well again everyone will eventually know when you are OCI champion. Question: did you do well so that everyone would know you did well? No, then who cares

OnePostWonder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

snehpets wrote:
Dany wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


Also, what does it matter if everyone thinks you have abysmal grades?


IDK, it just does matter. The respect of my peers is fairly important.

I guess they'll find out if I get a good job, but damn, to have to wait a year with people around me thinking I'm handicapped is unfortunate. And even after that they'll wonder...

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


It's weird, really - people come up to me like, "HEY HOW DID YOU DO IN CRIM I DID WELL GOT AN B+ WHAT DID YOU GET?!"

I can't say I don't talk about grades; that just seems so douchey, plus he'd probably think I got a C. And I really feel like I can't say "A+" because he'd punch me in the face or something (or talk badly about me behind my back, idk).


It's not douchey, stop being a pussy and tell people to GTFO

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:32 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


It's weird, really - people come up to me like, "HEY HOW DID YOU DO IN CRIM I DID WELL GOT AN B+ WHAT DID YOU GET?!"

I can't say I don't talk about grades; that just seems so douchey, plus he'd probably think I got a C. And I really feel like I can't say "A+" because he'd punch me in the face or something (or talk badly about me behind my back, idk).


Yes you can still say that. It's douchey to talk to anyone about grades you aren't close friends with, and even close friends if they aren't comfortable about it.

They probably won't assume you got a C.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

.
Last edited by snehpets on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Dany wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


Also, what does it matter if everyone thinks you have abysmal grades?


IDK, it just does matter. The respect of my peers is fairly important.

I guess they'll find out if I get a good job, but damn, to have to wait a year with people around me thinking I'm handicapped is unfortunate. And even after that they'll wonder...


It seems like you want to brag. So fucking brag to people who ask.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Law Sauce » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Dany wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."


Also, what does it matter if everyone thinks you have abysmal grades?


IDK, it just does matter. The respect of my peers is fairly important.

I guess they'll find out if I get a good job, but damn, to have to wait a year with people around me thinking I'm handicapped is unfortunate. And even after that they'll wonder...


You don't have to lie. Just say, "I did well." If they ask more and are persistent, just tell them. This thread = over thinking

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby maf70 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Dany wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:"I don't talk about grades."

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:35 pm

The more you avoid talking about it, the more everyone will assume you did phenomenally well, not phenomenally poor.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 pm

I hate law students so goddamn much.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 pm

.
Last edited by snehpets on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hate law students so goddamn much.

OnePostWonder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Right when I got my grades back I made an appointment to see my career counselor. When I got to the building, I ran into a friend who I went to undergrad with (different section, though) - he had an appointment with a different counselor at the same time. I had printed out my unofficial transcript and had it in my hand, and my friend asked me what it was so I told him. He told me he got a 2.8 and was really pissed because he would probably lose his scholarship, and asked to see how I did.

IDFK why (big mistake in retrospect), but I handed it to him (because it was awkward as fuck to be waiting there for the counselors with a paper in my hand and him wanting to see it). "Wow that's really great." He sounded hollow and I'm pretty sure we're not friends anymore.

SO BASICALLY, I don't think I'm over-thinking it, and I don't think I'm going to answer even those who are persistent. I think telling my good friend my GPA and counting on him spreading it is a good plan. Going to go with that, but thanks anyway for the advice (not sure why I asked if I wasn't going to listen anyway, but [as they say] whatev's).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 pm

MrKappus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I hate law students so goddamn much.

OnePostWonder
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby OnePostWonder » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I hate law students so goddamn much.


Am I doing it right?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I hate law students so goddamn much.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Edit: After seeing your most recent post, I have changed my post a bit.

Are you really this socially inept?

Also, your posts make it seem like you want everyone to know you did well, which would make
you [are] a giant cocklord.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

.
Last edited by snehpets on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: My GPA is 4.1 (t1). What should I do when people ask?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

OnePostWonder wrote:Hey all - this is my first time on TLS.

So I got a 4.1 GPA in my first semester of law school. I'm worried my classmates will think I'm bragging when I tell them, even if I don't bring it up first. I've been asked about five times (grades came out recently), but I have always avoided the question, saying something like "pretty well" or "IDK, not bad." I'm afraid that if I tell people who are unhappy with their own grades, their jealousy will block out the sun. But on the other side of that, by avoiding the question, people must think my GPA is abysmally low - and that's as bad, if not worse.

One of my good friends (a dude) is, frankly, a gossip. I was thinking about telling him what I got (in faux confidence [he's already told me his (3.2)]) - then everyone will likely hear it, but not from me.

Is this a good plan or should I keep my mouth shut?

How's ass burgers treating you?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests