Devastated- need advice.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Yvonnella wrote:LOL. You guys are a crackup. Well, this has been amusing. Now I really must be going.

Farval.

You are so cultured and learned.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Does anyone else think Yvonella's posts read like she is Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter? I dunno, maybe the smugness? Maybe just me...

She probably isn't associated with admissions at a school as I (and others suspected), I doubt she would be allowed to be so obnoxious to potential applicants.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Yvonnella wrote:LOL. You guys are a crackup. Well, this has been amusing. Now I really must be going.

Farval.

Thanks for being a lolcow

Dex

Postby Dex » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:Yvonnella, nobody is "crying" about anything. As others have said, the 90s are different than today, and there is a world of difference between buying a piece of real estate and carrying that debt vs. having a shit load of law school debt with no job and no value to your degree. OP and others on this site aren't being whiners. They're thinking about what is best for their future and trying to decide what to do moving forward. Don't bother responding with another one of your long-winded, pretentious, holier than thou, "back in my day we walked uphill to school both ways" speeches. Just do us all a favor and

+1

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 pm

clh2005 wrote:
As for studying approach, I read all the cases and made short briefs of them before class, and also relied heavily on supplements that had been recommended to me by older students. I made my outlines based primarily off of outlines from successful 2Ls and 3Ls. Perhaps this is where I went wrong?

Nope. This is exactly how you should be studying. You probably fucked up on the exam its self, not the studying for it. Everyone in law school knows the information... it's all about how you write it. You are a prime case of someone who should look at all your old exams and talk to professors to see what you did wrong. Maybe you are coming to conclusions too fast and thus leaving out valuable analysis, maybe you aren't explaining yourself well enough, maybe you just can't type fast enough.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Farval.

Look no offense but non-trads are about as clueless as they come in 99% of cases.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm

This thread's full of mollycoddlers.

clh2005

Postby clh2005 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
clh2005 wrote:
As for studying approach, I read all the cases and made short briefs of them before class, and also relied heavily on supplements that had been recommended to me by older students. I made my outlines based primarily off of outlines from successful 2Ls and 3Ls. Perhaps this is where I went wrong?

Nope. This is exactly how you should be studying. You probably fucked up on the exam its self, not the studying for it. Everyone in law school knows the information... it's all about how you write it. You are a prime case of someone who should look at all your old exams and talk to professors to see what you did wrong. Maybe you are coming to conclusions too fast and thus leaving out valuable analysis, maybe you aren't explaining yourself well enough, maybe you just can't type fast enough.

Thanks, yeah, I'm planning on meeting with all of my professors this week to figure out where I went wrong and what the main problems were.

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm taking a big risk but putting all my eggs in the LS basket at this point, and that I should be looking for gainful employment in other areas in the event that this upcoming semester isn't considerably better. Right now I'm at the bottom of my class, and there's certainly no guarantee that next semester will be any better. I don't have any debt, a 1/2 scholarship which I'm not in danger of losing, and I'm fortunate to have extremely supportive parents, but I don't know if it's worth wasting any more of their money at this point. But then again, can I find a decent job right now with an Econ BS and Poli Sci BA?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:07 pm

OP: I'm just slightly above the median and this week I got exactly the job I wanted this summer, a job where I'll be the only 1L because it usually only hires 2Ls and 3Ls. Here's the kicker: grades did not even come up in the interview. He didn't ask and I didn't offer. Got the official offer two days later. No it's not biglaw, yes it's public interest, but that's what I wanted before I came to law school so I'm happy as a clam.

Now, I'm not saying grades don't matter. They do, you already know that, and you should do what you can to bring them up to. But I've found contacts are a lot more important. Everyone I know who has jobs so far got them from people they knew. I thought I was screwed because I had mediocre grades and 0 contacts, but it turns out that the guy who interviewed me was friends with my supervisor at an old internship I had. He told me he called Mr. Supervisor and he had some good things to say about me, so I ended up getting the job based on what I assume was Mr. Supervisor's recommendation (nothing else on my resume was particularly impressive).

Before that though, I was pretty sure I hadn't done well on exams (I also have a tendency to freak out on exams...had to take the LSAT three times because I kept having panic attacks during the test), so before I left for winter break I got a list of places from career services that don't usually ask for grades and started asking those places about summer opportunities for 1Ls. You'd be surprised how many decent jobs came up on that list. You'd also be surprised how many contacts you have or have already made (especially if your school has some kind of lawyer-law student mentoring program). The point is, it can be done. There's no need to drop out if this is what you really want to do, unless you have your heart set on biglaw and even then, I wouldn't count it out if you're willing to put in the work (both by bringing up grades and networking).

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 am

clh2005 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
clh2005 wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I'm planning on meeting with all of my professors this week to figure out where I went wrong and what the main problems were.

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm taking a big risk but putting all my eggs in the LS basket at this point, and that I should be looking for gainful employment in other areas in the event that this upcoming semester isn't considerably better. Right now I'm at the bottom of my class, and there's certainly no guarantee that next semester will be any better. I don't have any debt, a 1/2 scholarship which I'm not in danger of losing, and I'm fortunate to have extremely supportive parents, but I don't know if it's worth wasting any more of their money at this point. But then again, can I find a decent job right now with an Econ BS and Poli Sci BA?

The post above is a good one. Grades are mainly only necessary for big law. Other jobs care much more about your work experience. Plus, you are already halfway through the year, why give up now? If you don't have debt, and no real career prospects (I too had a poli sci, with an econ minor - there were like 3 careers, and most were short term) you may as well give yourself another chance. TLS loves to say you are screwed if you aren't the top of your class at a T-14, but the reality is that people from all ranks and all schools get jobs. Maybe you have to wait a little longer, get paid a little less, but if you persist, you'll get something.

I know a lot of people who had mediocre to bad grades their first semester, and made Dean's list second semester. My advice is give it another try.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 am

My grades were kind of all over the place this semester, and I did almost everything OP did, except I read and briefed all the cases. This thread made me realize that I was over-briefing and not focusing on the really important details/facts/reasoning in each case. I think I got overwhelmed with what exactly I was supposed to get out of the cases and only focused on the BLL, like OP. After reading this thread, I think I have a new attack plan for the semester.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”