Devastated- need advice.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 am

Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.

clh2005
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby clh2005 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice.

I'm definitely going to stick it through this semester, but had been thinking about what someone said earlier in regards to searching for jobs as well, if this semester doesn't go significantly better than the last.

The thing is, I don't really have a lot of marketable skills (I don't feel like) outside of law school. I have a BS in Econ and BA in Poli Sci, but to be honest, I don't know a enough about finance-related stuff to hit the ground running in an entry-level job. I dont know if a Poli Sci degree is worth the paper it's written on.

When applying for jobs, should I mention I'm in law school now and considering alternative career paths? I feel like this would be a huge red flag to employers- someone who has washed up in law school is now looking to get a job. But then again, how else am I going to explain a 6-month gap on my resume?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm

clh2005 wrote:Again, thanks to everyone for your advice.

I'm definitely going to stick it through this semester, but had been thinking about what someone said earlier in regards to searching for jobs as well, if this semester doesn't go significantly better than the last.

The thing is, I don't really have a lot of marketable skills (I don't feel like) outside of law school. I have a BS in Econ and BA in Poli Sci, but to be honest, I don't know a enough about finance-related stuff to hit the ground running in an entry-level job. I dont know if a Poli Sci degree is worth the paper it's written on.

When applying for jobs, should I mention I'm in law school now and considering alternative career paths? I feel like this would be a huge red flag to employers- someone who has washed up in law school is now looking to get a job. But then again, how else am I going to explain a 6-month gap on my resume?


1. You have an econ degree but don't feel skilled in finance. in a few years you'll have a law degree but won't feel skilled in law. its the same idea all the time.

2. don't mention you are in law school.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.



I bought my first house when I graduated from college. Between my student loans and my mortgage, I owed over $200,000. For about four years, if I recall correctly, I worked two jobs to keep myself afloat. Yes, that was back in the '90s, but debt is debt. I had no significant other to help for portions of that time. I left my house in the morning at 7 and went to Job 1. When I got off at 5, I went straight to Job 2, waitressing at a steakhouse with my college degree. I got home at 11 p.m., night after night, smelling like a slab of grease and thoroughly exhausted. I never thought twice about how hard it was or whether slinging hash was beneath me. I did what I had to do. Am I disconnected, out of touch? Yes, I sure am. I am totally out of touch with whiny losers who want jobs and opportunities handed to them. I have no sympathy for crybabies. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country? It's unbelievable. Do you think you'll ever have a family someday? Maybe a wife, a couple of kids, a demanding job, a huge mortgage? How are you going to handle all of that pressure with your current "poor me" disposition? I'm doing pretty well in life right now, thankfully, with law school, a good career and a happy marriage. I worked hard to get where I am. So has my husband. My only point is that you can achieve this, too. You set goals and you work toward them. Nothing happens overnight. In the alternative, you can sit there and whine about how unfair everything is. Your choice.

Best of luck.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.



I bought my first house when I graduated from college. Between my student loans and my mortgage, I owed over $200,000. For about four years, if I recall correctly, I worked two jobs to keep myself afloat. Yes, that was back in the '90s, but debt is debt. I had no significant other to help for portions of that time. I left my house in the morning at 7 and went to Job 1. When I got off at 5, I went straight to Job 2, waitressing at a steakhouse with my college degree. I got home at 11 p.m., night after night, smelling like a slab of grease and thoroughly exhausted. I never thought twice about how hard it was or whether slinging hash was beneath me. I did what I had to do. Am I disconnected, out of touch? Yes, I sure am. I am totally out of touch with whiny losers who want jobs and opportunities handed to them. I have no sympathy for crybabies. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country? It's unbelievable. Do you think you'll ever have a family someday? Maybe a wife, a couple of kids, a demanding job, a huge mortgage? How are you going to handle all of that pressure with your current "poor me" disposition? I'm doing pretty well in life right now, thankfully, with law school, a good career and a happy marriage. I worked hard to get where I am. So has my husband. My only point is that you can achieve this, too. You set goals and you work toward them. Nothing happens overnight. In the alternative, you can sit there and whine about how unfair everything is. Your choice.

Best of luck.


Try graduating from college in 2010 instead of the "90s" and get back to us about how its going.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.



I bought my first house when I graduated from college. Between my student loans and my mortgage, I owed over $200,000. For about four years, if I recall correctly, I worked two jobs to keep myself afloat. Yes, that was back in the '90s, but debt is debt. I had no significant other to help for portions of that time. I left my house in the morning at 7 and went to Job 1. When I got off at 5, I went straight to Job 2, waitressing at a steakhouse with my college degree. I got home at 11 p.m., night after night, smelling like a slab of grease and thoroughly exhausted. I never thought twice about how hard it was or whether slinging hash was beneath me. I did what I had to do. Am I disconnected, out of touch? Yes, I sure am. I am totally out of touch with whiny losers who want jobs and opportunities handed to them. I have no sympathy for crybabies. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country? It's unbelievable. Do you think you'll ever have a family someday? Maybe a wife, a couple of kids, a demanding job, a huge mortgage? How are you going to handle all of that pressure with your current "poor me" disposition? I'm doing pretty well in life right now, thankfully, with law school, a good career and a happy marriage. I worked hard to get where I am. So has my husband. My only point is that you can achieve this, too. You set goals and you work toward them. Nothing happens overnight. In the alternative, you can sit there and whine about how unfair everything is. Your choice.

Best of luck.


i too pull myself up by my bootstraps

booksforxmas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby booksforxmas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.



I bought my first house when I graduated from college. Between my student loans and my mortgage, I owed over $200,000. For about four years, if I recall correctly, I worked two jobs to keep myself afloat. Yes, that was back in the '90s, but debt is debt. I had no significant other to help for portions of that time. I left my house in the morning at 7 and went to Job 1. When I got off at 5, I went straight to Job 2, waitressing at a steakhouse with my college degree. I got home at 11 p.m., night after night, smelling like a slab of grease and thoroughly exhausted. I never thought twice about how hard it was or whether slinging hash was beneath me. I did what I had to do. Am I disconnected, out of touch? Yes, I sure am. I am totally out of touch with whiny losers who want jobs and opportunities handed to them. I have no sympathy for crybabies. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country? It's unbelievable. Do you think you'll ever have a family someday? Maybe a wife, a couple of kids, a demanding job, a huge mortgage? How are you going to handle all of that pressure with your current "poor me" disposition? I'm doing pretty well in life right now, thankfully, with law school, a good career and a happy marriage. I worked hard to get where I am. So has my husband. My only point is that you can achieve this, too. You set goals and you work toward them. Nothing happens overnight. In the alternative, you can sit there and whine about how unfair everything is. Your choice.

Best of luck.


Image

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:16 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Yvonnella wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Your inability to think creatively is exactly what I'm talking about. All you can think is, "Post a job opening so I can apply for it." I wouldn't hire you if I had a job opening. You can't get out of your box. You went to law school, for God's sake. Aren't you smarter than the average Joe? Does the world have to sit its opportunities in your lap before you can see them?


Again you are disconnected from what's going on. Except you do seem to get that many law students are not smarter than the average Joe. 3.0s and 155s don't say much about ability. Many average Joe's would not fall prey to the combination of low prospects and debt currently offered by the schools. And with crushing debt what exactly are grads supposed to do? Many I am sure would love to start a solo practice but that can take a decade to get to sustainability.



I bought my first house when I graduated from college. Between my student loans and my mortgage, I owed over $200,000. For about four years, if I recall correctly, I worked two jobs to keep myself afloat. Yes, that was back in the '90s, but debt is debt. I had no significant other to help for portions of that time. I left my house in the morning at 7 and went to Job 1. When I got off at 5, I went straight to Job 2, waitressing at a steakhouse with my college degree. I got home at 11 p.m., night after night, smelling like a slab of grease and thoroughly exhausted. I never thought twice about how hard it was or whether slinging hash was beneath me. I did what I had to do. Am I disconnected, out of touch? Yes, I sure am. I am totally out of touch with whiny losers who want jobs and opportunities handed to them. I have no sympathy for crybabies. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country? It's unbelievable. Do you think you'll ever have a family someday? Maybe a wife, a couple of kids, a demanding job, a huge mortgage? How are you going to handle all of that pressure with your current "poor me" disposition? I'm doing pretty well in life right now, thankfully, with law school, a good career and a happy marriage. I worked hard to get where I am. So has my husband. My only point is that you can achieve this, too. You set goals and you work toward them. Nothing happens overnight. In the alternative, you can sit there and whine about how unfair everything is. Your choice.

Best of luck.


Try graduating from college in 2010 instead of the "90s" and get back to us about how its going.


You're right. You have it much harder than I ever did. I never had to work hard or fight for anything. I've been on the gravy train for life. I'll vote for the next government program to take care of you until you're old because you graduated in 2010 and things are just too difficult now for you and your class to overcome. You have a pass to ignore my platitudinous exhortations like, "Be positive, don't quit, work hard, believe in yourself." Momma's gonna give you some milk and cookies and tuck you in all nice and warm. And we'll both cry a little together about how hard it is to be you.

Don't fret. My husband says I'm insensitive, too. I prefer to consider myself a realist. Nobody gives a damn about when you graduated. You only have two options: 1) get off your butt and make something happen, or 2) pout. I tried the latter myself for awhile. It got me nowhere.

Outta here. Said what I believe. Enjoy your cookies.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 pm

It isn't a "poor me" attitude. It is trying to be sure you can repay the debt you owe. It is a financially prudent and responsible attitude. There is a huge difference between buying an asset, like a house, where you can sell it, refinance it, or if you have to, declare bankruptcy (plus you can live in it! or rent it out!)and 6 figures of non-dischargeable law school loans.

Do you really not understand the numbers of grads vs. number of jobs posted earlier in the thread? 45,000 legal grads, 25,000 ish legal jobs, not all of which are full time, permanent, or desirable in any way. Do the math. The rough calculation is that ( I think substantially) less than 60% of law graduates will ever get full-time jobs practicing law. It is pretty common knowledge here and is very, very well supported. If you don't know those numbers, than how can you claim to know anything about getting a job? You might want to do some research.

Please stop misleading people as to the reality of the job market and the difficulty of the onerous nature of repaying school loans. The schools do a good enough jobs about putting out misleading employment information. They don't need your help.

It sounds like you have a great life, good for you. But people can't just create themselves into jobs that don't exist. I'm sure you can afford to volunteer now, but most people can't. You aren't the only one who worked their way through school or had to make a life for themselves. Don't treat unemployed or underemployed JDs like the economy is their fault, or as if they think people owe them a living. It is a very insulting and condescending attitude.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Yvonnella wrote: I never had to work hard or fight for anything. I've been on the gravy train for life.


I know you're attempting to be sarcastic, but you've got to know that this is the impression you give off. There's only one type of person who can afford to work for free until they get a real job -- the type of person who has a parent or significant other supporting them. And that's fine, good for you if you have family or a partner who can provide for you, but don't pretend you did it all on your own or that other people are in your position, because most aren't. Get off your high horse, lady.

Yvonnella wrote:
Don't fret. My husband says I'm insensitive, too. I prefer to consider myself a realist.


I do not think realist means what you think it means.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:59 pm

sunynp wrote:It isn't a "poor me" attitude. It is trying to be sure you can repay the debt you owe. There is a huge difference between buying an asset, like a house, where you can sell it, refinance it, or if you have to, declare bankruptcy (plus you can live in it! or rent it out!)and 6 figures of non-dischargeable law school loans.

Do you really not understand the numbers of grads vs. number of jobs posted earlier in the thread? The rough calculation is that ( I think substantially) less than 60% of law graduates will ever get full-time jobs practicing law. It is pretty common knowledge here and is very, very well supported. If you don't know those numbers, than how can you claim to know anything about getting a job? You might want to do some research.

Please stop misleading people as to the reality of the job market and the difficulty of the onerous nature of repaying school loans. The schools do a good enough jobs about putting out misleading employment information. They don't need your help.

It sounds like you have a great life, good for you. But people can't just create themselves into jobs that don't exist. I'm sure you can afford to volunteer now, but most people can't. You aren't the only one who worked their way through school or had to make a life for themselves. Don't treat unemployed or underemployed JDs like the economy is their fault, or as if they think people owe them a living. It is a very insulting and condescending attitude.


Okay, one last post. I only know how I made it through the hard years in my life. I worked in restaurants for years for one reason besides the modest money I made: I always knew I would get something to eat. Yes, it's a condescending, insensitive attitude I have. But it's also the harsh light of reality, and there isn't a whole lot of that being expressed here. Are the Chinese going change what they're doing because the whiny USA calls them unfair, insensitive, condescending, insulting, or any other epithet? Wake up! The real world is not a TV show. I care deeply about today's graduates. But the biggest problem I see in today's grads is on the inside. They've grown up playing team sports where nobody kept score because "everybody's a winner." Nonsense. Stop kidding yourselves. Stop mollycoddling yourselves and whining about how the lack of jobs is holding you back. Be positive, be proactive, be patiently resilient. Be tenacious. Sooner or later the tide will change. I know it's a discouraging market out there. But focusing on the negative, waiting for others to do something, and wallowing in self-pity will never solve your problem.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
sunynp wrote:It isn't a "poor me" attitude. It is trying to be sure you can repay the debt you owe. There is a huge difference between buying an asset, like a house, where you can sell it, refinance it, or if you have to, declare bankruptcy (plus you can live in it! or rent it out!)and 6 figures of non-dischargeable law school loans.

Do you really not understand the numbers of grads vs. number of jobs posted earlier in the thread? The rough calculation is that ( I think substantially) less than 60% of law graduates will ever get full-time jobs practicing law. It is pretty common knowledge here and is very, very well supported. If you don't know those numbers, than how can you claim to know anything about getting a job? You might want to do some research.

Please stop misleading people as to the reality of the job market and the difficulty of the onerous nature of repaying school loans. The schools do a good enough jobs about putting out misleading employment information. They don't need your help.

It sounds like you have a great life, good for you. But people can't just create themselves into jobs that don't exist. I'm sure you can afford to volunteer now, but most people can't. You aren't the only one who worked their way through school or had to make a life for themselves. Don't treat unemployed or underemployed JDs like the economy is their fault, or as if they think people owe them a living. It is a very insulting and condescending attitude.


Okay, one last post. I only know how I made it through the hard years in my life. I worked in restaurants for years for one reason besides the modest money I made: I always knew I would get something to eat. Yes, it's a condescending, insensitive attitude I have. But it's also the harsh light of reality, and there isn't a whole lot of that being expressed here. Are the Chinese going change what they're doing because the whiny USA calls them unfair, insensitive, condescending, insulting, or any other epithet? Wake up! The real world is not a TV show. I care deeply about today's graduates. But the biggest problem I see in today's grads is on the inside. They've grown up playing team sports where nobody kept score because "everybody's a winner." Nonsense. Stop kidding yourselves. Stop mollycoddling yourselves and whining about how the lack of jobs is holding you back. Be positive, be proactive, be patiently resilient. Be tenacious. Sooner or later the tide will change. I know it's a discouraging market out there. But focusing on the negative, waiting for others to do something, and wallowing in self-pity will never solve your problem.


It would be nice if you bothered to respond to the many substantive objections to your posts. No one ever said they were waiting for others or wallowing in self-pity. There were facts given and you prefer to ignore them with your little aphorisms of life and success.

I don't really care what you say or do as long as you aren't trying to paint a rosier picture than reality allows. Don't tell people that there are lots of jobs that they are simply not creative enough to find. Oh, and I object to putting down people that are jobless through no fault of their own. I suggested before that you read through the employment threads - one guy emailed about 1200 lawyers and got 60 replies, just to get information about getting a job. Another person went to every law office in her town and left resumes. Don't assume that you are the only one out there who is willing to work very hard to get a job. Like I said, it is insulting and demeaning.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm

sunynp wrote:
Yvonnella wrote:
sunynp wrote:It isn't a "poor me" attitude. It is trying to be sure you can repay the debt you owe. There is a huge difference between buying an asset, like a house, where you can sell it, refinance it, or if you have to, declare bankruptcy (plus you can live in it! or rent it out!)and 6 figures of non-dischargeable law school loans.

Do you really not understand the numbers of grads vs. number of jobs posted earlier in the thread? The rough calculation is that ( I think substantially) less than 60% of law graduates will ever get full-time jobs practicing law. It is pretty common knowledge here and is very, very well supported. If you don't know those numbers, than how can you claim to know anything about getting a job? You might want to do some research.

Please stop misleading people as to the reality of the job market and the difficulty of the onerous nature of repaying school loans. The schools do a good enough jobs about putting out misleading employment information. They don't need your help.

It sounds like you have a great life, good for you. But people can't just create themselves into jobs that don't exist. I'm sure you can afford to volunteer now, but most people can't. You aren't the only one who worked their way through school or had to make a life for themselves. Don't treat unemployed or underemployed JDs like the economy is their fault, or as if they think people owe them a living. It is a very insulting and condescending attitude.


Okay, one last post. I only know how I made it through the hard years in my life. I worked in restaurants for years for one reason besides the modest money I made: I always knew I would get something to eat. Yes, it's a condescending, insensitive attitude I have. But it's also the harsh light of reality, and there isn't a whole lot of that being expressed here. Are the Chinese going change what they're doing because the whiny USA calls them unfair, insensitive, condescending, insulting, or any other epithet? Wake up! The real world is not a TV show. I care deeply about today's graduates. But the biggest problem I see in today's grads is on the inside. They've grown up playing team sports where nobody kept score because "everybody's a winner." Nonsense. Stop kidding yourselves. Stop mollycoddling yourselves and whining about how the lack of jobs is holding you back. Be positive, be proactive, be patiently resilient. Be tenacious. Sooner or later the tide will change. I know it's a discouraging market out there. But focusing on the negative, waiting for others to do something, and wallowing in self-pity will never solve your problem.


It would be nice if you bothered to respond to the many substantive objections to your posts. No one ever said they were waiting for others or wallowing in self-pity. There were facts given and you prefer to ignore them with your little aphorisms of life and success.

I don't really care what you say or do as long as you aren't trying to paint a rosier picture than reality allows. Don't tell people that there are lots of jobs that they are simply not creative enough to find. Oh, and I object to putting down people that are jobless through no fault of their own. I suggested before that you read through the employment threads - one guy emailed about 1200 lawyers and got 60 replies, just to get information about getting a job. Another person went to every law office in her town and left resumes. Don't assume that you are the only one out there who is willing to work very hard to get a job. Like I said, it is insulting and demeaning.


LOL. This thread is such a distraction! I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture. I'm just tired of whiners. I prefer winners. Your example is perfect: the guy got 60 replies. All you see is the 1200. That's the unfortunate reality today, but it is what it is. The other person went to all the law offices. And what? Stopped? My point before is that law offices are only one place were attorneys work. You might have to get a job in a particular field not directly law-related, and learn that field before becoming a practicing attorney in it. People don't tell others that they're wallowing in self-pity, btw. They just do it. Then others, such as I, spot it. But rarely would I actually call them on it. I cannot reply to all the "substantive" posts. (Really: substantive? These are opinions.) I'm one woman with one opinion. I'm trying to tell you that you can be a success if you believe in yourself and stop hoping for instant gratification. The world is unsympathetic. And if my dose of reality is insulting and demeaning, what do you call all the juvenile invective that permeates threads across this whole forum?

To the other poster, I love riding horses . If you can whine me off of it, try.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Your contributions to the thread are kind of outdated. It comes off as "back in my day..." You graduated from college before some 1Ls were born.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Yvonnella wrote:I'm just tired of whiners. I prefer winners


Image

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:Your contributions to the thread are kind of outdated. It comes off as "back in my day..." You graduated from college before some 1Ls were born.


You're right. Reality is an outdated concept. Today it's all about handing kids self-esteem like it was an allowance. There must be some young 1Ls running around. I graduated from college in the mid '90s.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. I wish I had his money, though.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:55 pm

you dont seem to have much of a clue of what youre talking about. the 90s were very different from today.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Yvonnella wrote:Okay, one last post. I only know how I made it through the hard years in my life. I worked in restaurants for years for one reason besides the modest money I made: I always knew I would get something to eat. Yes, it's a condescending, insensitive attitude I have. But it's also the harsh light of reality, and there isn't a whole lot of that being expressed here. Are the Chinese going change what they're doing because the whiny USA calls them unfair, insensitive, condescending, insulting, or any other epithet? Wake up! The real world is not a TV show. I care deeply about today's graduates. But the biggest problem I see in today's grads is on the inside. They've grown up playing team sports where nobody kept score because "everybody's a winner." Nonsense. Stop kidding yourselves. Stop mollycoddling yourselves and whining about how the lack of jobs is holding you back. Be positive, be proactive, be patiently resilient. Be tenacious. Sooner or later the tide will change. I know it's a discouraging market out there. But focusing on the negative, waiting for others to do something, and wallowing in self-pity will never solve your problem.

Just curious: did the "hard years in your life" come after law school when you had $60-120k in non-dischargable debt?

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:09 pm

YourCaptain wrote:you dont seem to have much of a clue of what youre talking about. the 90s were very different from today.


I know who I've hired, and why. And I know who I've fired, and why. I lost that position, unfortunately. It's been a tough market even for me.

But anyway, don't take my advice. You are the one who is correct. I'm the one who is off-base here. Nothing I've said has any value or bearing on how things are done today. And for the love of God, don't join the Army! They might make you a JAG and give you a ton of legal experience, plus help you buy a house when you get out.

AV, I'm in law school now. The hardest years of my life were when I graduated from college, found a good job, bought a house, then lost the job and went from one dead-end, loser job to another, having to waitress at night to keep my bills paid. I know what $200,000 of debt is like. I also understand desperation. But I don't identify with crying about it.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:you dont seem to have much of a clue of what youre talking about. the 90s were very different from today.


I know who I've hired, and why. And I know who I've fired, and why. I lost that position, unfortunately. It's been a tough market even for me.

But anyway, don't take my advice. You are the one who is correct. I'm the one who is off-base here. Nothing I've said has any value or bearing on how things are done today. And for the love of God, don't join the Army! They might make you a JAG and give you a ton of legal experience, plus help you buy a house when you get out.

AV, I'm in law school now. The hardest years of my life were when I graduated from college, found a good job, bought a house, then lost the job and went from one dead-end, loser job to another, having to waitress at night to keep my bills paid. I know what $200,000 of debt is like. I also understand desperation. But I don't identify with crying about it.


and your response is to just deal with it? could just avoid the situation in its entirety to begin with. im sorry thatd be the rational response

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Gone are the days where the Tim Russert's are able to finance law school with a friends poker winnings and by promoting a Bruce Springsteen concert.

However, at least Income Based Loan Repayment provides some flexibility.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:30 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:Gone are the days where the Tim Russert's are able to finance law school with a friends poker winnings and by promoting a Bruce Springsteen concert.

However, at least Income Based Loan Repayment provides some flexibility.


I could get on board a plan like that, with some caveats.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Yvonnella, nobody is "crying" about anything. As others have said, the 90s are different than today, and there is a world of difference between buying a piece of real estate and carrying that debt vs. having a shit load of law school debt with no job and no value to your degree. OP and others on this site aren't being whiners. They're thinking about what is best for their future and trying to decide what to do moving forward. Don't bother responding with another one of your long-winded, pretentious, holier than thou, "back in my day we walked uphill to school both ways" speeches. Just do us all a favor and

Image

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Yvonnella wrote:And for the love of God, don't join the Army! They might make you a JAG and give you a ton of legal experience, plus help you buy a house when you get out.


This is pure unadulterated idiocy. JAG for most people at good schools is harder to get than biglaw. JAG has about a 1%-2% acceptance rate, and according to some of the JAG people I've talked to, a healthy amount of them have previous military service experience. Also the military is cutting positions right now. Don't act like JAG is some big, untapped secret world of awesome jobs.

User avatar
Yvonnella
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Devastated- need advice.

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:06 pm

LOL. You guys are a crackup. Well, this has been amusing. Now I really must be going.

Farval.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdemps3 and 7 guests