ABA Membership

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

ABA Membership

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:11 am

I received a letter in the mail saying I need to send the ABA $25. I don't recall ever signing up to the ABA and I never went to any of their events. I think I unintentially signed up at orientation when they just had a sheet on a table they had us sign. Should I just pay it or tell them I don't want membership?

morris248

Re: ABA Membership

Postby morris248 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:04 am

Tell them that you do not want it. Waste of money. However, you should check your state bar association. Often you can sign up as a student and then you get the newsletters about the major cases in your state, etc.

jessuf

Re: ABA Membership

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 am

You can join the ABA for free. I did. Your school probably has a link where you can join for free as a student. I like receiving all of the magazines for the different sections in the mail to keep as toilet reading.

I think getting active (aka leadership position) in the ABA is only good if you are interested in a specialization because they will cover your expenses to go to cool cities and meet lawyers, judges, etc.

If you are just contemplating being a member for the sake of the member and free membership is not an option, don't bother.

Also, I am a member of my state's bar association and all of the local bar associations and definitely recommend that. They let law students join for free where I am, which means free networking and awesome lunches/dinners.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”